Scammed by buyer on Ebay. Options - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-15-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 23%
Default Scammed by buyer on Ebay. Options

Hey all,

So recently i was selling items for $250 on ebay. One buyer bought 4 for total of $1000. I sent via priority but (stupidly) didnt request signature confirmation. Day after item delivered buyer opened case asking for refund as he didnt receive item. Item was delivered to his business (computer store). He claims he was only one there and it never came. he didnt ring USPS or anything. I opened a case with USPS and I was told carrier said 100% sure it was delivered to the store. He has asked Ebay to now take over case, so will know soon if in his favour and have to refund. He seemed very aware that over 750 needs SC.
So if he wins, do I have any case to take up with USPS (only insured for $50). He doesnt appear to use his ebay account to sell but he uses Amazon now. (sells computer stuff between 50-1500). I am thinking of ways to let others know about this business and potentially recuperate money from him (if I have to refund). Any suggestions?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-15-2020
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 57%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: Scammed by buyer on Ebay. Options

Could be a loss if it's just through eBay. But don't give up in contacting eBay directly

But you can file a police report since it's above $500 and see what you can do from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
mcsere113au (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020

Longevity: 66%

First of all click the report buyer function on eBay - if he has done it before and others have flagged it then it will help you or other future ebayers being scammed. Does his feedback show items previously bought you could contact those sellers and ask if a scam was pulled?

If you do lose then I’d be recouping back via his own amazon business 100%
The Following User Says Thank You to Themav For This Useful Post:
mcsere113au (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020

Longevity: 77%

legal way con be the right way, eBay will refund 100% the buyer if you don't meet their needs
Old 04-15-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

I'd not sell anything near the value of $250 on eBay.
There's no better time to cancel than when one customer buys 4 x $250. What on earth were you thinking?
Why on earth would you not request a signature? Buyer will have to be exceptionally good at voodoo for me to miss that.

Of course, you can go to his Amazon shop and get even if he isn't using FBA, but again you don't want to be associated with that sort of character.

The quicker you write this off as a loss, the better for your wellbeing.

Last edited by Pandoras_box; 04-15-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2020

Longevity: 41%

you sent $1000 worth of goods out the most economic way and never thought you might get a problem?
Old 04-15-2020

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsere113au View Post
Hey all,

So recently i was selling items for $250 on ebay. One buyer bought 4 for total of $1000. I sent via priority but (stupidly) didnt request signature confirmation. Day after item delivered buyer opened case asking for refund as he didnt receive item. Item was delivered to his business (computer store). He claims he was only one there and it never came. he didnt ring USPS or anything. I opened a case with USPS and I was told carrier said 100% sure it was delivered to the store. He has asked Ebay to now take over case, so will know soon if in his favour and have to refund. He seemed very aware that over 750 needs SC.
So if he wins, do I have any case to take up with USPS (only insured for $50). He doesnt appear to use his ebay account to sell but he uses Amazon now. (sells computer stuff between 50-1500). I am thinking of ways to let others know about this business and potentially recuperate money from him (if I have to refund). Any suggestions?
What if you did send him only 1? or what if you're the buyer who pulled this con and you want to see how you can get away with it? Sorry I study a lot of court cases, forensics etc and I'm always skeptical.
Old 04-16-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Try SaiJin's idea OP - rough situation but best of luck
Old 04-16-2020
Threadstarter  

Thanks, yeah it seems only other way. Appreciate all the people who had something constructive to say. I'm obviously not a big seller on ebay, Hence I would didnt know about the SC requirement over 750. Anyway, for those 'senior members', good on you for reiterating it was stupid of me and for providing no advice.
Old 04-16-2020
Threadstarter  

Thanks Agent006140. Not sure what you getting at with the CC requirements though? The items are not things he stocks, though I did check his store and no they weren't there. Yes I had also thought of opening a USPS fraud investigation. Still waiting on response from ebay though im not hopeful. Only thing maybe if he has pulled this off before or that I said I required item to be handed over to a person at the premises, which it was. Regardless, if he does win case on ebay, I think I will be nice, call him to congratulate him, tell him that it will now be reported to USPS and the local PD and that as I believe he is being fraudulent I will now inform as many people as possible on his various online platforms. Also provide him with some contact details in the event it shows up. I honestly think as he has experience as an online seller, and selling items at this price, he has probably been done by something similar. Saw the opportunity when he didnt have to sign and is justifying it to himself as he was probably 'screwed over' by ebay previously... Just my thoughts though
Old 04-16-2020
Threadstarter  

Ok still not sure how it might help. If ebay decides to refund I have to.... So not sure how my CC would help cover loss... Yes I have called a few times, he was very much, dont call, leave it up to ebay, his story changed a bit. I said it would need to be reported to police. He just said thats fine, they can come here and look around, they wont find them............
Old 04-16-2020
Threadstarter  

Yes in ebays hand. Should hear from them today, as I said Im not overly hopeful of the outcome. Money was already out of my paypal but i presume I would just go in to negative and have to pay anyway. Yes called local post office and lady said she spoke with carrier and he 100% sure that the package went to correct address / business and that it was handed over to someone from the premises. May have to call back if he win and see what is possibility of fraud claim.
Old 04-16-2020

Longevity: 27%

You might have to take the loss and learn from your mistakes.
Old 04-16-2020
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 57%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Yes in ebays hand. Should hear from them today, as I said Im not overly hopeful of the outcome. Money was already out of my paypal but i presume I would just go in to negative and have to pay anyway. Yes called local post office and lady said she spoke with carrier and he 100% sure that the package went to correct address / business and that it was handed over to someone from the premises. May have to call back if he win and see what is possibility of fraud claim.

it's really tough. Unfortunately this is the risk that you'll have to take doing business.

If I were you... I'd go to the cops locally and try to get them in touch with the cops in the buyer's location
Old 04-16-2020

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
How about the possibility of a small claims court action, as it is a small amount in the eyes of the law the cops may view it as a civil rather than criminal offence.

I know that distance and cost may make it prohibitive to do.