Ebay rep about managed payments and ebay scams - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-29-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 23%
Default Ebay rep about managed payments and ebay scams

had an interesting discussion on phone this morning with ebay rep. Told me that she was not sure yet if SS# would be required for managed payments and that it may only apply to a certain $ limit, that it is still in discussion inside the company. She also told me that ebay had increased efforts to stop scams on the site. I dont see how there can really be an scams today unless the buyer is really ignorant and does not read the MBG Guarantee which is overwhelming in buyers favor. All the buyer has to do on ebay is complain and they will get their money back. I started to wonder what are the common scams on ebay if this is really true in todays time and how do the sellers make any money off of it
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%
Default Re: Ebay rep about managed payments and ebay scams

Seems you found a rep who was prepared to discuss confidential internal company business with a complete stranger. I wonder how long they will last?
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJohn20 View Post
I started to wonder what are the common scams on ebay if this is really true in todays time and how do the sellers make any money off of it
Is this what you are here to find out?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigblackdog For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

It's invite only in the US, and the only people being invited in are established sellers who have already gone way past the threshold for providing a tax ID. So everyone they've let in so far was obligated to give a tax ID anyway.

I assume the rep is talking about when managed payments is for everyone in the US, and it's the default when you make new accounts. eBay is probably weighing the pros/cons of requiring a tax ID on signup vs. requiring one at the 200 sales point like Paypal does. Tons of people in the US who only use eBay to sell a few items around the house every year aren't going to want to be obligated to give eBay their SSN for selling 5 items/year. BUT, by requiring the SSN at signup they eliminate most of their "stealth" problem in one swoop. So I understand why it's being discussed internally, lol.
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
It's invite only in the US, and the only people being invited in are established sellers who have already gone way past the threshold for providing a tax ID. So everyone they've let in so far was obligated to give a tax ID anyway.

I assume the rep is talking about when managed payments is for everyone in the US, and it's the default when you make new accounts. eBay is probably weighing the pros/cons of requiring a tax ID on signup vs. requiring one at the 200 sales point like Paypal does. Tons of people in the US who only use eBay to sell a few items around the house every year aren't going to want to be obligated to give eBay their SSN for selling 5 items/year. BUT, by requiring the SSN at signup they eliminate most of their "stealth" problem in one swoop. So I understand why it's being discussed internally, lol.
You believe him? You believe an Ebay rep would discuss Ebay policy and scams with a stranger?

I have a unique bridge in London you may be interested in buying - really good price and just for you
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

There's no reason to think OP is lying. eBay reps commonly talk about those kind of things. All OP said the rep said was eBay is beefing up security to stop scams on the site, and that they're still discussing at what point SSN's will be required in managed payments once it's implemented for everyone. The rep didn't give out any confidential insider information. Everything after the 3rd sentence were the OP's thoughts on what the rep said.

I'll buy the bridge for $5,000 but I can't go any higher. Do you take Western Union?

Last edited by phaz0rz; 04-29-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
There's no reason to think OP is lying. eBay reps commonly talk about those kind of things. All OP said the rep said was eBay is beefing up security to stop scams on the site, and that they're still discussing at what point SSN's will be required in managed payments once it's implemented for everyone. The rep didn't give out any confidential insider information. Everything after the 3rd sentence were the OP's thoughts on what the rep said.

I'll buy the bridge for $5,000 but I can't go any higher. Do you take Western Union?
I'm robbing myself -but it's yours
Old 04-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJohn20 View Post
had an interesting discussion on phone this morning with ebay rep. Told me that she was not sure yet if SS# would be required for managed payments and that it may only apply to a certain $ limit, that it is still in discussion inside the company. She also told me that ebay had increased efforts to stop scams on the site. I dont see how there can really be an scams today unless the buyer is really ignorant and does not read the MBG Guarantee which is overwhelming in buyers favor. All the buyer has to do on ebay is complain and they will get their money back. I started to wonder what are the common scams on ebay if this is really true in todays time and how do the sellers make any money off of it
So ebays call centers are opened again?

And the ebay money back guarantee is the exact thing they are trying to prevent. If ebay cannot retrieve the funds from the seller then ebay has to take it out of their own pocket, which is what they are really trying to prevent.
Old 04-30-2020

Longevity: 40%

Sounds like he got a US representative and the guy was high or something. They are random $12/hr call center workers. If they knew how to use eBay they wouldn't be working there.

Last edited by cafonabob1; 04-30-2020 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,945 Times in 8,236 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forum - all the best as you master stealth

Old 05-03-2020

Longevity: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafonabob1 View Post
Sounds like he got a US representative and the guy was high or something. They are random $12/hr call center workers. If they knew how to use eBay they wouldn't be working there.
Lol, I agree eBay isn't going to give useful info to their frontline pawns.