I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home > Marketplace Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 381
Thanked 235 Times in 171 Posts
Activity: 33%
Longevity: 19%
iTrader: (0)
Default I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

This is about promoted listings, I called eBay today and tried to explain to the rep that paying 10-20% over the fee we are already paying is eating up the profit margin.

The guy had some bad news for me, he said eBay is building its "advertising" business and is aiming for 1 billion in ad revenue in the coming two years and kept encouraging me to use their ugly new service, I quickly realized they want to give more room for promoted listings so I asked him if that will be the case and he confirmed it


They are on track to adopting the Etsy model where half the results on the 1st page are promoted listings.



I think they know eBay is a ghost town and there is no way to fix it, they want to milk their sellers and maximize profits until someone makes a bid for eBay.
Reply With Quote
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

  #2  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
tinsoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,788
Thanks: 79
Thanked 886 Times in 741 Posts
Activity: 64%
Longevity: 22%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Of course 10-20% is eating into profit margins, my 3-6% is eating into profit margins too but I'm happy to pay it as are those in your sectors.

It is what it is and as we've discussed many times before, ain't going away any time soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 381
Thanked 235 Times in 171 Posts
Activity: 33%
Longevity: 19%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

With the current state of their advertising, I am getting 60% of the sales I used to get back in 2017. The bad news is that the 60% will turn into 30% in the near future :-/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 219
Thanks: 47
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 3%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
With the current state of their advertising, I am getting 60% of the sales I used to get back in 2017. The bad news is that the 60% will turn into 30% in the near future :-/
wow I wonder what you're selling...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 381
Thanked 235 Times in 171 Posts
Activity: 33%
Longevity: 19%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCoin View Post
wow I wonder what you're selling...
Mainly cheap items with prices ranging between 10-50$.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
yankee's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8,063
Thanks: 2,412
Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,998 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 49%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

I am up almost 100% from a year ago on ebay and I do not use promoted listings at all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
agent006140's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 7,407
Thanks: 993
Thanked 630 Times in 588 Posts
Activity: 98%
Longevity: 14%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

but look at it on the bright side ,the weaker ones will drop out first,thin out the sellers rank and the surviving ones will make a fair profit.
I always believe Ebay should thin out the rank of sellers by raising the barrier of doing business,as sellers make decent money,they are more inclined to offer better service,better packing,better shipping.
I cant believe some of the sellers using worn torn walmart shopping bag for wrapping,using envelope for 3D objects,not buying insurance when it is called for .
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agent006140 For This Useful Post:
PepsiCoin (3 Weeks Ago), yankee (3 Weeks Ago)
  #8  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 47%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Don't forget paypal fees also
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
tinsoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,788
Thanks: 79
Thanked 886 Times in 741 Posts
Activity: 64%
Longevity: 22%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I am up almost 100% from a year ago on ebay and I do not use promoted listings at all.
WOW, just think how much better you'd have done if you had.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
james_112233's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,275
Thanks: 317
Thanked 312 Times in 238 Posts
Activity: 55%
Longevity: 23%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

If you sell in a niche you don't need to do anything other than sit back and wait for orders to come in.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to james_112233 For This Useful Post:
Ibenebcc (3 Weeks Ago)
  #11  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
tinsoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,788
Thanks: 79
Thanked 886 Times in 741 Posts
Activity: 64%
Longevity: 22%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
If you sell in a niche you don't need to do anything other than sit back and wait for orders to come in.
There are no niche categories, just those which have more listings than others.

Some claim to have niche products in popular categories, but that's a different matter.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinsoldier For This Useful Post:
PepsiCoin (3 Weeks Ago), walkingupwards (3 Weeks Ago)
  #12  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
rsot's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61,435
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 7,447 Times in 6,793 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 78%
iTrader: (7)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradiatorman View Post
Don't forget paypal fees also
Paypal will always take their cut
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
PepsiCoin (3 Weeks Ago)
  #13  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
agent006140's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 7,407
Thanks: 993
Thanked 630 Times in 588 Posts
Activity: 98%
Longevity: 14%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

I miss the good old days when buyers sent postal and money orders,some will even send cash!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 381
Thanked 235 Times in 171 Posts
Activity: 33%
Longevity: 19%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
I miss the good old days when buyers sent postal and money orders,some will even send cash!

What destroyed eBay and drove buyers away from it is Chinese sellers and I am not exaggerating at all. Most of them have feedback scores of 96% and below which is a disaster for long-term customer attainment. They lie about shipping times and buyers end up having to ship items back to China should they decide for a return. All of this resulted in buyers not wanting to shop on eBay anymore.


They sacrificed long-term growth for short-term profits and we sellers are now paying for it, they keep changing the CEO as if he has a magical wand or something when the fix is plain and simple, it is a marketplace for god's sake, not a space shuttle
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingupwards For This Useful Post:
PepsiCoin (3 Weeks Ago)
  #15  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
yankee's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8,063
Thanks: 2,412
Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,998 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 49%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
WOW, just think how much better you'd have done if you had.
I cant imagine. I have 23 listings on the first page.... how much better could I possibly do?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
tinsoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,788
Thanks: 79
Thanked 886 Times in 741 Posts
Activity: 64%
Longevity: 22%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I cant imagine. I have 23 listings on the first page.... how much better could I possibly do?
Maybe promoted listing would have pushed you above those who are using it.

I know, I know.....no need to say it, I get the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,049
Thanks: 90
Thanked 228 Times in 159 Posts
Activity: 3%
Longevity: 78%
iTrader: (77)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

find more profitable products to absorb the ad revenue. At least that's something you can control.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
james13v's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 528
Thanked 381 Times in 292 Posts
Activity: 42%
Longevity: 72%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Of course 10-20% is eating into profit margins, my 3-6% is eating into profit margins too but I'm happy to pay it as are those in your sectors.

It is what it is and as we've discussed many times before, ain't going away any time soon.
the problem is, ebay populates the search results with garbage chinese crap, from sellers that are willing to pay 20-50% ad fees. They are not competing against me directly, but they still pollute the searches unless people type in very good keywords, and I'm not going to pay a crap ton in order to be shown above them. I can't afford that.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
PepsiCoin (3 Weeks Ago), walkingupwards (3 Weeks Ago)
  #19  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
rsot's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61,435
Thanks: 4,784
Thanked 7,447 Times in 6,793 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 78%
iTrader: (7)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
I miss the good old days when buyers sent postal and money orders,some will even send cash!
Those were the golden days no middleman PP taking its cut...

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 381
Thanked 235 Times in 171 Posts
Activity: 33%
Longevity: 19%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
the problem is, ebay populates the search results with garbage chinese crap, from sellers that are willing to pay 20-50% ad fees. They are not competing against me directly, but they still pollute the searches unless people type in very good keywords, and I'm not going to pay a crap ton in order to be shown above them. I can't afford that.
The major marketplaces are blackmailing sellers into paying up for placement in search. They claim it is "advertising" and a kind of "promotion", but these words are just to sugarcoat the ripoff.


The FTC seems like they are preparing something for Amazon with regard to their promoted listings, raising fees on sellers and the misuse of 3rd-party sellers' data used to launch Amazon's own private label products.


I will be having a spiritual orgasm once Amazon is dealt with via the FTC, I've had hope in the past that the Federal Cartel Office of Germany will do something about it, but it turned out they are an absolute joke
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
james13v's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 528
Thanked 381 Times in 292 Posts
Activity: 42%
Longevity: 72%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
The major marketplaces are blackmailing sellers into paying up for placement in search. They claim it is "advertising" and a kind of "promotion", but these words are just to sugarcoat the ripoff.


The FTC seems like they are preparing something for Amazon with regard to their promoted listings, raising fees on sellers and the misuse of 3rd-party sellers' data used to launch Amazon's own private label products.


I will be having a spiritual orgasm once Amazon is dealt with via the FTC, I've had hope in the past that the Federal Cartel Office of Germany will do something about it, but it turned out they are an absolute joke
at one point 10-20% of my sales were from promoted. Now it's 80-90%. And I'm too afraid to risk getting rid of promoted listings now that I have them going, in order to test if it would still work without me paying an extra 7%
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 219
Thanks: 47
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 3%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: I talked to eBay today and it is bad news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
but look at it on the bright side ,the weaker ones will drop out first,thin out the sellers rank and the surviving ones will make a fair profit.
I always believe Ebay should thin out the rank of sellers by raising the barrier of doing business,as sellers make decent money,they are more inclined to offer better service,better packing,better shipping.
I cant believe some of the sellers using worn torn walmart shopping bag for wrapping,using envelope for 3D objects,not buying insurance when it is called for .
wow even yankee agreed with you and he used to be annoyed by you...

Last edited by PepsiCoin; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In other news today man is wanted for 21,000 fraud on Eb. Wanted in the UK. GhostWhoWalks eBay News 19 09-30-2014 05:09 PM
PayPal limitation sweet talked ebay ayaz Introductions 2 03-25-2014 10:50 AM
Talked to Paypal today - some info i got on New Verification gibsonton Subscriber Discussions 41 03-14-2010 08:01 PM
Good news-account reinstated today! Caseywan eBay Suspensions 4 04-14-2008 04:24 PM


Aspkin Group

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Amazon Suspension? Read Amazon Ghost to get back on Amazon!
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger
no new posts