eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Creating New Accounts At The Library (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/1401-creating-new-accounts-library.html)

Dark Shadows 10-04-2007 03:22 AM

Creating New Accounts At The Library

Has anyone set up accounts at the library? If so, I am wondering, in the larger libraries that have around 100 computers, is the IP address the same on all of those computers or would it be different for each one? If it is the same does anyone know how different people manage to set up ebay accounts from those computers without using a credit card to register a new account? I tried to register a new account for a girl friend on my computer thinking she could do this without a credit card, but I guess because of my IP address and the different name, ebay requested credit card verification. We went to the library and she opened an account on one of the computers there without a problem, and without being asked for a credit card for verification by ebay.

aspkin 10-04-2007 03:48 AM

This is all over the forums, but yes for the most part computers in the library should share the same IP address. Tons of users in this forum use libraries to create/access their accounts. They can probably tell you how those accounts are doing now.

JackNoMore 10-04-2007 07:11 AM

Most library computers are on a central networking system, usually T1 or something to the effect. I suppose it depends on how large the network is and the number of ebay members who access their accounts there, but I was once told that it's wise not to access your Paypal account at work--especially for purchase. I would assume the same would apply to ebay as well.

So is it possible to open a new account at the library. Yes.
But will it last? Uncertain. You're rolling the dice.

Keep in mind, any account you create will be stamped with that location IP.

Dark Shadows 10-04-2007 03:58 PM

I noticed as I walked by some of the computers that there were a couple of other people on ebay. I don't know if they were just searching or had accounts, but it was so easy for my friend to open an account at the library that I wondered. I mean if ebay is really concerned about what IP address you are at it doesn't seem like a person could do ebay from their hotel room while they are on business trips, or from the library without their accounts being canceled.

divine422 10-04-2007 07:11 PM

I use the library computers all the time...but its a pretty big library ( 5 floors - labs on each floor) and i have never had any problems with linking accounts.

Dark Shadows 10-06-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divine422 (Post 12616)
I use the library computers all the time...but its a pretty big library ( 5 floors - labs on each floor) and i have never had any problems with linking accounts.

Have you set up more than one account at the library without a problem?

Chris Hanson 10-06-2007 01:14 PM

Did you not read what he just said?????

Dark Shadows 10-06-2007 01:26 PM

I will clarify my question. About how many accounts did you create that you have had no problems linking, and about how long have they been created? If you don't mind giving this information that's great, if you do mind, sorry for asking.

Thanks

Chris Hanson 10-06-2007 02:33 PM

Its the truth. The question has already been answered..

They said they do use library and they haven't had a problem. So if you put 2 and 2 together it means its all go 4 ya

JackNoMore 10-06-2007 09:43 PM

You obviously didn't read between the lines.

spike1 10-06-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modee (Post 12614)
I've used libraries and Starbucks to create accounts, but I use one account at a time, on a fresh new IP I create at home or office. And then I stick with that IP and try never to log in except on that IP (unless I am traveling), as long as that account is extant.

But I'll tell you what - if I create an account at a certain library, or bookstore, or whatever, I try to write down the IP address. Then, later, I will not create a different account on that same IP. If you search this forum and understand the spirit behind how EBAY links and suspends you, you will understand why this precaution.

alright modee that's the second time i have seen you use the word "extant" guess i am going to have to finally break down and google it to find out its definition.

JackNoMore 10-06-2007 10:30 PM

Try here

JackNoMore 10-06-2007 11:22 PM

D'oh! Typo alert! Spell check, why hast thou forsaken me!

pwn3d by the man

:cool:

Dark Shadows 10-06-2007 11:53 PM

It could very well be that I am not conveying my question well. I will go into more detail on my train of thought. What I am interested in knowing, and this may have already been answered, but I have not found the answer, is has anyone set up multiple accounts at a single library, using different, fictitous names for each account, and manage those accounts for long periods of time only through the library without getting caught by ebay?

I saw another post about going through AOL, but you can not not install an AOL browser at the library. My friend set up an account at the library, but she was using her real name and address. There has to be a number of people who use the library to set up accounts each year. According to what I have read here, if your IP address is connected with something that causes you to get naru'd, then every account at that IP address gets naru'd too. But, the libraries have been there for years, and hundreds if not thousands of people have probably set up ebay accounts, and surely some of those people have been naru'd. So, if this is the case, how do all the other people manage to keep the accounts they set up at the library's IP address? I am wondering if I set up accounts in fictitious names at the library, and one of my accounts is discovered, will all my accounts be naru'd? Will everyone who has signed up with ebay at the library be naru'd as well?

spike1 10-06-2007 11:58 PM

yeah i agree. it has to be more than the ip to get the boot. however libraries are not the best place to do this.

rosie 08-07-2009 10:25 PM

This is a very interesting topic. If we are all opening accounts or logging into our accounts at the library or at work, Ebay must be able to link some accounts. So I assume that ebay must use other criteria instead of just IP to give us the boot.

Vicvelcro 08-07-2009 10:29 PM

Info you were reading was much out-dated. Check the time-stamp on the post just before yours.

Things have evolved since the topic was begun.

But yes, they do go on more than just IP.

GreenBean 08-07-2009 10:32 PM

Did you look at the date of the last post? It was in July 2007. Part of it has merit. You will be better to check more recent posts to keep in touch with current advice :peace: