logged into my account using someone's laptop 6 years ago!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-24-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default logged into my account using someone's laptop 6 years ago!!

So I have been squeezing my memory for the last few days trying to remember whether I signed into my eBay account using someone's else laptop or not... Yes, I did actually use someone's laptop to log into my account on multiple occasions.

This person was always a buyer on eBay and only recently signed up as a seller.

The laptop in question was sold years ago, so this person has created a new business account on eBay using a completely new device/connection. However, his old private account was used on that same device I used to login occasionaly (timeframe of use was around 7 months where I logged in like 3 or 4 times, this all happended exactly 5 or 6 years ago).

The reason I am worried is this, I am afraid eBay will shutdown his newly created business account in the future and then his private account (which may be linked to my account??) will also get linked and shutdown --> this in turn will get my account suspended
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-24-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 18%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: logged into my account using someone's laptop 6 years ago!!

Pretty sure the time period of 6 years between uses will be a factor. I find it hard to believe the accounts will get linked because of that.
Would love to know if Im wrong though.
Old 06-24-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
Pretty sure the time period of 6 years between uses will be a factor. I find it hard to believe the accounts will get linked because of that.
Would love to know if Im wrong though.
I too would prefer to think this way, but have read online that once linked they linked forever!!

I mean knowing eBay and how ancient their entire system is, I am not quite optimistic about this whole thing.
Old 06-25-2021

Longevity: 27%

Why get yourself all steamed up over it there's nothing you can do about it. It is what it is - move on.

For what it's worth I think you've read waaaay to much into the links after all these years have passed.
Old 06-25-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
The reason I am worried is this, I am afraid eBay will shutdown his newly created business account in the future and then his private account (which may be linked to my account??) will also get linked and shutdown --> this in turn will get my account suspended
This is beyond your control - you can either choose to keep operating as you are doing and hoping nothing happens (this is quite possible as Hank indicated) or start all new and stealth
Old 06-25-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Que?

You worry about being linked from a computer sign on six years ago that got sold.

Yes/No?
Old 06-25-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Que?

You worry about being linked from a computer sign on six years ago that got sold.

Yes/No?

What about once linked it is linked forever? Is this true?
Old 06-25-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

There is a link but not a deep one. There is no great amount of activity.

You have moved away from “that machine”. The owner sold the machine. He now has a different device.

Linking might happen if either account indulged in dangerous activity.
walkingupwards (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021

Thanked 1,108 Times in 1,044 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

There was a time someone used your device and then Ebay threw his cookie on your device,then he went home and used his own device,so now his and yours are linked.
But that was long ago,they have made improvements.
Old 06-25-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
There was a time someone used your device and then Ebay threw his cookie on your device,then he went home and used his own device,so now his and yours are linked.
But that was long ago,they have made improvements.

What do you mean exactly by "they made improvements"?
Old 06-25-2021
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,550 Times in 2,203 Posts
Activity: 50%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
So I have been squeezing my memory for the last few days trying to remember whether I signed into my eBay account using someone's else laptop or not... Yes, I did actually use someone's laptop to log into my account on multiple occasions.

This person was always a buyer on eBay and only recently signed up as a seller.

The laptop in question was sold years ago, so this person has created a new business account on eBay using a completely new device/connection. However, his old private account was used on that same device I used to login occasionaly (timeframe of use was around 7 months where I logged in like 3 or 4 times, this all happended exactly 5 or 6 years ago).

it's been a while, I think you'll be ok.
Old 06-25-2021

Thanked 1,108 Times in 1,044 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

Quote:
What do you mean exactly by "they made improvements"?
They have become more sophisticated.
They have BETTER TOOLS
Old 06-27-2021

Longevity: 16%

From personal experience, as someone who used to code these kind of security protocol rules. My simple answer would be - No. The other account won't affect your account in any possible way.

The way eBay linking accounts is trough very clever algorithm which won't be so easily triggered unless some "special" conditions apply.

The algorithm is coded that way that it gets alerted and actually linking accounts when it detects unusual user activity in a way that can point in a certain level that one user is using more then one account.

In reality when it happens, 99% of the time is only if you are actually a user of the linked accounts, simply because of certain data leaks on your machine and certain user activity that can be measured by the algorithm, when some "flagged" actions apply, it will eventually link the accounts.

This kind of algorithm will mostly ignore activity made in a natural way by another user even under the same fingerprints, in a way of natural in its own understanding. Yet again it will be ignored only unless some other "negative" actions and criteria apply, which can actually provoke the algorithm to think that you are the user related to other accounts or a potentially high risk user - It's when different kind and amount of data matched in a certain way usually with a previously suspended high risk account (Logging in on regular basis to a machine/IP with more then one account, random data leaks which can be linked, like: addresses, shipped from, return address, payment methods or even similar user activity - following the same actions in the term of selling on other accounts, messing with cookies/flash objects, proxies, using VPN, etc..)

The algorithm will actually link the accounts only when it will get enough red flag points in a specific criteria when it certain by the amount of these points that you're most likely the same user of the other accounts.

So simple as that - two accounts used by different users in a natural way have no chance to be linked while in a situation when one user using more then one account will most certainly link them if not played safe.
Old 06-27-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forum PX7331 - all the best as you master stealth