eBay threshold before asking for ID? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-06-2022

Activity: 23%
Longevity: 67%
Default eBay threshold before asking for ID?

Hi everyone,

What’s the eBay threshold before they ask for ID? I’ve seen posts of people getting hit with ID request around £800-£1500 is this the limits?

I’ve heard if account is your own name (real information) then eBay won’t ask you for ID. However I have seen a post of someone who used real information (not banned) and account was still asked for ID.

Is this only happening on accounts with less than 3 months selling activity?

Its happened on my stealth account which was 2 months and this other person 1 month old eBay account.

I appreciate all your replies
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-07-2022
Threadstarter  

Default Re: eBay threshold before asking for ID?

Does anyone know the answer to the above question? It’s definitely another bot eBay have set in place.

I saw my friend today and he said his account is a couple of years old and he’s never been asked to submit ID his account is not stealth it’s his own account which is making me think this
“we couldn’t verify your info” bot message is set up within 3 months of selling activity so if you earn more than £1000 in 3 months this is probably when eBay are sending the message also to confirm my friend also sells risky items as well.

Last edited by samspalace; 09-07-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2022

Activity: 80%
Longevity: 46%

you will be checked through credit agency after some turnover has been made

if the check fails you will be asked to provide ID , even if you had an error and you correct it you will still need to provide ID
The Following User Says Thank You to murdered_by_ebay For This Useful Post:
samspalace (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
you will be checked through credit agency after some turnover has been made

if the check fails you will be asked to provide ID , even if you had an error and you correct it you will still need to provide ID
Thanks I appreciate your reply. Does stealth ID pass the checks? I’ve read that some do and some don’t (hit and miss)

Im starting to think my stealth ID might of failed because I had risky items on the account it was only 2 but they were risky.

Maybe if I sold £1000 low risk items then maybe the stealth ID might of passed?

Im not worrying to much as I’m using my brothers details with his full permission and address for returns but going forward for stealth accounts it looks like I might have to play the long game sell £1000-£1500 low risk items and then submit stealth ID when eBay asks for it?
Old 09-07-2022

stealth ID always fails
Old 09-08-2022
Threadstarter  

Quote:
stealth ID always fails
I’m not to sure on this one as I’ve heard people say they have had success with stealth ID but it’s very rare to hear stories about it.

I was going to do a test account on a stealth account and list an item for £1000 like American fridge freezer see if it sells and to see if I get hit with ID request. Get creative and see if ID passes.

I know a real account wouldn’t have issues with this or be asked for ID as I learnt this tactic from someone on their new real account and wasn’t hit with ID request.
Old 09-08-2022

real accounts get ID requests as well , I got requests on two of my accounts , all in my real details. I uploaded ID and have not had any problems ever since
Old 09-09-2022

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 16%

Quote:
real accounts get ID requests as well , I got requests on two of my accounts , all in my real details. I uploaded ID and have not had any problems ever since
When do they ask for id?
Old 09-09-2022

Longevity: 13%

They never ask for ID if your creation method is good
Old 09-09-2022

Longevity: 27%

A Roy said, if your account creation method is good then they may never ask for ID.

In the UK at least, the burden of ID responsibility can be passed down the chain so to speak. If I go to buy a Rolex and offer 25K in cash the jeweler will have to go through all the usual money laundering requirements - source of funds, ID, etc etc etc. Indeed many would simply refuse to sell you the watch as they don't want the headache. But if I offer to pay by bank transfer, it will sail through and I'll be out of there in no time, they are legally allowed to assume the bank have already applied due diligence on the funds so it's not their problem.

Ebay operate the same way. Verifiable name and address from a public register or database and microdeposits successfully actioned (particularly via trustly) and they're happy. Someone else has done the verification and they're satisfied, and legally allowed, to piggyback their efforts.

But if one of those throws up a flag then be prepared to supply ID.

But as murdered-by-ebay said sometimes they ask for ID on a good standing accounts because I too have had it on a longstanding wholly legitimate squeaky clean account. It was a business account so maybe harder to verify via databases etc. I cannot say if they would spring this on a private seller account but it must surely be a possibility I guess.

I cannot say for sure but I reckon the popular stealth practice of using savings accounts and failing the micro-deposit route is a sure-fire way of being asked for ID. Then factor in bogus names and/or addresses and you can see why accounts get suspended.

It's always been the case, but is even more important now but you must look normal, act normal and sell 'normal' goods when creating and maturing new accounts. Those who chose not to because they simply want to make a quick buck almost get what they deserve knowing how things now operate.

Act normal, plan well ahead, proceed slowly

Last edited by Hank; 09-09-2022 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Nice success story
Old 09-09-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruh View Post
When do they ask for id?
they may ask anytime , especially if any of the details could not be verified but also on completely verified accounts with 100% legit details and business and on high volume accounts as they have thresholds there as well , once threshold is exceeded it will be new verification
Old 09-10-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
they may ask anytime , especially if any of the details could not be verified but also on completely verified accounts with 100% legit details and business and on high volume accounts as they have thresholds there as well , once threshold is exceeded it will be new verification
Right on - anytime is possible