A few options I've been thinking about for the forum... Make it secret? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-04-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%
Default A few options I've been thinking about for the forum... Make it secret?

• Close the forum as it takes too much time and energy with no return.
  • Make the forum public again and create an eBook to sale to members.
  • Keeping the forum private and subscription based to new and current members.
  • Keeping the forum the way it is, and slowly watch it die.

This and a few other options come to me about the forum. Having the forum private is killing it. The less new faces we see the worse it'll get. I'm thinking of making the forum public again and creating an eBook would be the best option. For current subscribers we can work something out.

People who don't like the idea of a public forum has to understand in order to have high quality content here, with many ideas and solutions the forum has to be open to everyone. I tried something different with subscriptions, but just like everything else I tried with this forum it doesn't work. Maybe forums are a lost cause... I don't like to give up but I only have a few more options.

Again keeping the forum private is killing it as you may notice. It's the last option I have besides closing the forum all together which I don't want to do because I spent so much time building it up.

What do you think?

P.S. I know having a public forum opens up to eBay.. and eBay will be able to follow what we do much easier. BUT.. it's the only way, and it's been working for over a year before the forum went private.

Old 11-04-2007
MU

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

I agree with you.. keeping this forum public and constantly staying just one step ahead of eBay is probably the best option. What specifically would be contained in the eBook, though?
Old 11-04-2007
Administrator
Threadstarter  

The eBook is going to have everything this forum has, but it'll give you what you're looking for without looking for it. That's the problem with the forum. The information is here, but you really have to dig to find it. The eBook will tell you everything you need to know to create a solid eBay account in no time based on facts we talk about in the forum.
Old 11-05-2007

Longevity: 95%

well if the subscription method isn't working then i think the best option would be the ebook thing. people would pay to have everything up to date and in one location.

then sell ads on the website

have the ebook be subscription based, if that is possible.
Old 11-05-2007
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

i think ebook option is best
Old 11-05-2007

i think the way you are doing it with making a member's area with all the latest info in one place is the way to go. people will come here and provide input and discussion and then be tempted by this "member's area" because it sounds easier, which it is

i say forget the ebook
Old 11-05-2007

Longevity: 96%

I would pay for that ebook.
Old 11-05-2007
Administrator
Threadstarter  

I plan on doing the eBook and keeping the member's area up to date as well. I wish I could get started with this now, but my ISP is ****ed. I'm at an internet cafe right now. I'll be back soon enough and put this in action. Thanks guys,
Old 11-05-2007
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 19%

Absolutely go with the ebook, and reopen to the public, I think that you have provided an excellent resource for people and have changed lives too.
Old 11-06-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

no! Don't make this forum public. We will never win.

Does Ebay makes their trust and saftey info public??? I didn't think so
Old 12-22-2007

Longevity: 96%
Default Public or private

I think it doesn't matter from ebay point of view asif they feel it isworthwhile they will get access if they want it in the same way we get access to ebay and paypal if we want it. Ebook is great Aspkin mail me if you want any input as i have a few new things that I've trialed and been successful with but have noty posted as still in trail period.
Old 04-26-2008

Longevity: 93%
Default Suggestion - for secret forum

Aspkin

Have you considered an ultra secret forum for trusted members only. This could be very helpful for comments, discussions and recommendations that can never be read by "spies". You by yourself or a committee you designate could invite members to participate. I am sure that it would be quite easy to set up a new forum on this board for this function.

4-5 years ago, I got frustrated with ebay and started spamming to make a living. I found my way into a "secret" group. There were several public spam forums online but they were constantly watched by a group of ferocious anti-spammers. Having the secret forum worked out well for us, we were 30-40 members strong. Eventually I got out of the spamming world and back into the ebay world because I enjoy it much better.

Perhaps if secret forums were available, ING would still be available and ideas such as "overdrawn paypal accounts" would be less likely to be discovered and last longer. I know I had hesitated to post my idea of "overdrawn paypal accounts" and other ideas because of the loopholes being quickly shut down. There are probably people holding secrets to themselves for just this reason.

Last edited by zymo; 04-26-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2008

Longevity: 98%

You could do it based on post count, too.
Old 04-28-2008

Well CPUGeek aka. Chris Hanson aka. other names I don't think worked for eBay so unless he was just tattling on his own (and ebay probably wouldn't listen as they don't read email) then maybe it's about who doesn't work for ebay.
Old 04-28-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

I think you should do whatever it takes to make this forum viable and sustainable.
If ebay can access the information provided on here, it doesn't result in immediate change to there operations, and it'll be the way it always is: ebay implements new policies, changes ..... People find a way around it ...... people share it ....... its like a merry-go-round.
Old 04-28-2008

Longevity: 93%

Hi, I think it takes a lot of courage to have a forum like this...I think that even if eBay knew about this forum all they will do is implement new polices, just like jscan said above...

In my personal opinion I don't even think they would even care about a forum like this or whether suspended users get back and sell on eBay again...because at the end of it, eBay is still getting their seller fee's...and are still making $$$$....

But as a huge company they just want to save their image in the publics eye...

Last edited by Sammi007; 04-28-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2008
Executive [VIP]

i agree with the above too, in the end ebay will still be making money regardless.
Old 04-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaylivewithitorwithoutit View Post
In my personal option I don't even think they would even care about a forum like this or whether suspended users get back and sell on eBay again...because at the end of it, eBay is still getting their seller fee's...and are still making $$$$....
I find that whatever is talked about here ebay later counters.

eBay doesn't even seem to care about the seller fees as they are killing themselves with their new policies. eBay will just raise their fees to compensate for all their lost business.
Old 04-28-2008

All we need it a chat room, you can determine lurkers more easily
Old 04-28-2008
Banned

Longevity: 92%

Take out the subscription. Instead, have a public forum where users can post, but have a members only section that is by invitation only, so an eBay employee can't simply pay his/her way to see it.

That, in my opinion, is the best option.
Old 04-28-2008

Personally, I think if someone had to pay say $99 to get in --this would "weed out" the undesirables, and the ones left would be the Serious Sellers..
--Start a Reserve acct--maybe a $50 Deposit, each "Post" for info costs you 50 cents..
>> How LONG till it weeds out the ⊗⊗⊗⊗??
Just my OPinion..

BTW- Whether it be Chris Hanson, or Whomever, how long till they run out of NOn-Refundable $99 Fees??
Old 04-28-2008

Not sure how a chat room would be of any use personally... as for security of the forum etc.. truth be known, it's virtually impossible to instigate.. think i joined around Nov last year, and if someone took the time to read back through the initial theads and workrounds... be honest.. how many of them are still working viable options today.?> not that many. And it's plain to see, that once a workround is found, exploited etc... seems not too long before the loophole is closed.. I'm not for all this crap re: Ebay spies.. etc etc.. But it is a little like a game of hide an seek...and telling your seeker where your about to hide..

I don't have an answer, wish i did, whether the info is paid for or not, does not unduly worry me, there are certain members i respect and would hold a fair amount of faith in..But as Ebay tighten the noose, how far down the "exclusive" road are members prepared to go..

If the Forum is not paying for itself, then maybe it shouldn't be here.. how many of us would continue selling at a loss..?>

One option could be to make it a condition that the Ebook is purchased to enroll as a new member.. the cost is absolute peanuts to the losses some of these people are incurring on being suspended...

Once book purchased.. limit them from posting for a week.. to dispell the clutter and inane posts we see almost every day now..

We can't hide from Ebay if the forum is there for open discussion.. we can only stay that 1 step ahead..