adding tracking numbers with old ebay address can I get caught? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-23-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 95%
Default adding tracking numbers with old ebay address can I get caught?

Hello, I currently have a stealth ebay account with an address that is not in my state. I usually use Fed Ex for shipping and add tracking numbers to show that I actually did ship it out, the only thing is my ebay and pp account addresses are in California and I live in New York so would that be a problem if a buyer is tracking a package and sees that it left from NY? Another concern of mine is my from address is my real address that was banned on my original ebay account so would they go that far to check the tracking info to try and link me? should I change my ebay and paypal addresses to a NY address? Please help, thanks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-24-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

yes if your from address is banned and u changed it to that, your account will be linked and you'll be banned....and to answer your first question i do that all the time its no big deal..my address would be from nj or virginia and i would ship it from ny so i do it all the time nothing really happens
Old 09-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

There is nothing in a tracking number that identifies your address.

If you change the eBay and PayPal address from CA to NY, it WILL draw attention to the account.

My best guess is that if eBay or PayPal looked up a tracking number and found it coming from NY, they would think you were drop-shipping your items. Which is OK according to the rules, although in practice eBay frowns upon it.

The only way I can see them getting your real address is if your "from" address on the package is given to them in a buyer dispute. It CAN happen, but in my experience it is unlikely.
Old 09-24-2010

Tracking numbers do show cities/state/zips (sometimes 2 of the 3 depending on what shipper) and show the package as it travels from city to state depending on scan locations. But that shouldnt cause a problem as it "could" be a drop-shipped item. The only way ebay/paypal would get wiff of your banned real address being on the package is if a buyer actually contacted ebay/paypal stating "the address this was shipped from is such and such". But if you are listing your auctions acurately, shipping quickly and the buyers are happy, there would be no reason for them to contact ebay/paypal with that info. So no worries.
Old 09-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Exactly - make sure your buyer is happy and no complaints and this address issue remains no big deal.
Old 09-24-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 95%

Ok, thanks guys I'll leave my address as it is, I wouldn't want to draw any attention. So I guess it would be better to keep adding tracking numbers so everyone will be happy.
Old 09-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Might be in your best interest to get some accounts going from your state in the mean time. Slowly get them going like normal. And after awhile start using them more. Worse case, you have a backup. And in my opinion, having an account setup on the other side of the country just adds more "what ifs" Area code for calls for one. And if they do a manual look at your account you will need to explain why your stuff is coming from the other side of the country.

And all it will take is one jackass buyer who bought from you because you are in his state and get all cranky when package arrives from clear across the country. 3 days later then he wanted...

Some may disagree, but I see no advantage to setting up account in another state. Only disadvantages. We have enough hoops to jump through. Being in two states at once just adds more