Celebrity name in ebay description? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-07-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Send a message via MSN to Superdude
Default Celebrity name in ebay description?

I know it may seem like a silly question to ask but is it perfectly okay to include a celebrities name in an ebay description?

What i mean is, let's say im selling a pair of Beckhams jeans and I include 'Beckham' in the description title.

Since beckham and most celebrities are known to wear the latest designer brands would it in any way attract VeRO to the listing?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-07-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I think it depends how it is used. If Beckham designed a line of Jeans, or his name is on the clothing, then you are just describing the item.

On the other hand, if you are claiming to be selling something once owned by Beckham, then I think eBay might have a problem with that - unless, of course, you could provide some sort of proof.

If the latter is the case, then I don't think VERO would be much of an issue, since what would be selling the jeans would not be the brand, but the fact that they were once owned/worn by a celebrity.
Old 05-07-2011
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

You can't use the name innapropriatley. For example, its against their terms of service to say something like, "this is just like the purse Madonna uses" or "these jeans are the same kind David Beckham wears".

They list a few examples on the rules page somewhere.
Old 05-07-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Edition View Post
You can't use the name innapropriatley. For example, its against their terms of service to say something like, "this is just like the purse Madonna uses" or "these jeans are the same kind David Beckham wears".

They list a few examples on the rules page somewhere.
But if i was to have a picture of him wearing the jeans,and those were the jeans i was selling would it be okay to sell with his name in the description and a picture of him wearing them as the listing picture?

And if not, would it be such a risk to go for it anyway and see what happens?
Old 05-07-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Ebay Is unpredictable, and to be on the safe side I'd recommend not to use any celebrity names. Having a picture of the celeb wearing the product is better than using their name in the title, but I have used celebs names in the description before without having any problems.

Example: These are the same style shades worn by celebs, such as Will Smith, and Lindsay Lohan.

Last edited by Red X; 05-07-2011 at 07:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Superdude (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011

Longevity: 75%
Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

* Use of Celebrity or Artist Names: eBay policy does not permit members to include celebrity names or the names of artists, authors, or other known figures in the listing title other than the specific celebrity or known figure that created, wrote or officially endorsed the item offered in the listing. Under eBay policy, celebrity names are treated as being synonymous with brand names.

This means that although a celebrity may have worn a similar item or made such an item popular, members are not permitted to use the name of the celebrity or known figure in the listing title.

eBay policy permits a seller to use *one* name as a comparison within the subtitle or description section of the listing.

Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
Ebay Is unpredictable, and to be on the safe side I'd recommend not to use any celebrity names. Having a picture of the celeb wearing the product is better than using their name in the title, but I have used celebs names in the description before without having any problems.

Example: These are the same style shades worn by celebs, such as Will Smith, and Lindsay Lohan.
Okay i see what you mean. I think il play it on the safe side so and just leave the pic and maybe something in the description.
Old 05-07-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Good find @Slim Shady

@SuperDude, play it SAFE
Old 05-07-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
* Use of Celebrity or Artist Names: eBay policy does not permit members to include celebrity names or the names of artists, authors, or other known figures in the listing title other than the specific celebrity or known figure that created, wrote or officially endorsed the item offered in the listing. Under eBay policy, celebrity names are treated as being synonymous with brand names.

This means that although a celebrity may have worn a similar item or made such an item popular, members are not permitted to use the name of the celebrity or known figure in the listing title.

eBay policy permits a seller to use *one* name as a comparison within the subtitle or description section of the listing.
Its true then they don't permit it but if you do a search you'll see a lot of people don't always obey the rules but still get away with it
Old 05-07-2011

^^ Forget what other people do or do not get away with on eBay. That isn't even an argument with any value. They are in breach of eBay policies. That is all you need to know.

What is the main reason you want to have a celebrity name in your title/description?
Old 05-07-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
^^ Forget what other people do or do not get away with on eBay. That isn't even an argument with any value. They are in breach of eBay policies. That is all you need to know.

What is the main reason you want to have a celebrity name in your title/description?
Suppose your right shady Its just i did a quick search and found many ebayers with hundreds of feedback who were getting away with this so just thought id bring it to the board!

ohhhhhh that is a question for my pm inbox now shady
Old 05-07-2011

Well my advice was for someone wanting to stay under the radar. Abiding by eBays policies is key to staying under it. :D
Old 05-08-2011

Have a name on ebay that is not going to stick out so much or raise too many eyebrows.
Old 05-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

I'll never understand any of this....

David Beckham is a soccer (football) star, right? So, if he were endorsing a soccer ball, I might think more highly of it, since he is an expert in that area.

But jeans? What does he know about jeans? Even if he looks hot in a specific brand of jeans, are people dumb enough to believe they will get the same result?

When I try to wear jeans, I look like farmer Ted. And that won't change no matter how many celebrities might wear the same brand of jeans that I do.

Sometimes I think I must have been dropped off on this planet by aliens, because I just don't get this type of stuff....
Old 05-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I'll never understand any of this....

David Beckham is a soccer (football) star, right? So, if he were endorsing a soccer ball, I might think more highly of it, since he is an expert in that area.

But jeans? What does he know about jeans? Even if he looks hot in a specific brand of jeans, are people dumb enough to believe they will get the same result?

When I try to wear jeans, I look like farmer Ted. And that won't change no matter how many celebrities might wear the same brand of jeans that I do.

Sometimes I think I must have been dropped off on this planet by aliens, because I just don't get this type of stuff....
Its nothing to do with what he knows about jeans dude. Its the fact that he is a celebrity and that he is admired by millions.

Beckham would be someone who is known to dress very very fashionably!

So if someone who loves beckham see him in a very nice pair of jeans, they are going to want them jeans themselves are they not?

In modern day societies wanting is a disease that stays with us from youth until old age.

People want to be like the stars.So their first step is to want to look like them!

Just think of Rihanna for example. Everyone seem to notice there is a lot more red heads walking around these days?
Old 05-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
People want to be like the stars.So their first step is to want to look like them!

Just think of Rihanna for example. Everyone seem to notice there is a lot more red heads walking around these days?
So, I should want to be like the stars...

Let me see....

I could be a racist jackass like Mel Gibson....

Or maybe go off the deep end like Tom Cruise.

Then again, I could be a tough guy like Charlie Sheen....

Or I could try to sleep with 5,000+ women like Gene Simmons.... Maybe I could create the newest STD and they would name it after me.

Or I could be like Michael Jackson, Lindsay Lohan, OJ Simpson, Britney Spears, Martha Stewart....

Sorry, but celebrity culture is completely bankrupt. I would never choose to admire or be like someone that I - quite frankly - don't know and would never meet. What do I know about David Beckham? He is a great soccer player, but I don't know anything else about him. He could be the nicest person in the world, or completely evil.
Old 05-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
So, I should want to be like the stars...

Let me see....

I could be a racist jackass like Mel Gibson....

Or maybe go off the deep end like Tom Cruise.

Then again, I could be a tough guy like Charlie Sheen....

Or I could try to sleep with 5,000+ women like Gene Simmons.... Maybe I could create the newest STD and they would name it after me.

Or I could be like Michael Jackson, Lindsay Lohan, OJ Simpson, Britney Spears, Martha Stewart....

Sorry, but celebrity culture is completely bankrupt. I would never choose to admire or be like someone that I - quite frankly - don't know and would never meet. What do I know about David Beckham? He is a great soccer player, but I don't know anything else about him. He could be the nicest person in the world, or completely evil.
I am not saying you or me but people in general!

Celebrities can be as crazy and messed up as anything but people are still gonna want to be like them.Nobody can argue against that!

I only say all this because we can use this info as a selling strategy and it works quite well everytime!
Old 05-09-2011

I thought about going back to my old name Catherine Mcclanahan.
Old 05-09-2011

^^ Well 'whatever your name is' , I love your random posts in random threads
Old 05-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

its football not soccer

david beckham is not evil, I dont know him and I dont favour his tatoos but he is a nice guy. As for his mushroom-nosed wife, well.......

generally, saying celebrity jeans or designer jeans would be ok, I like designer style, that is ok as long as you dont show any brand tag similarities etc, I would not give a name though as it could draw wrong attention...but its trial and error
Old 05-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
its football not soccer

david beckham is not evil, I dont know him and I dont favour his tatoos but he is a nice guy. As for his mushroom-nosed wife, well.......

generally, saying celebrity jeans or designer jeans would be ok, I like designer style, that is ok as long as you dont show any brand tag similarities etc, I would not give a name though as it could draw wrong attention...but its trial and error

Mushroom-nosed

Same i like designer style. I know it is risky but i might try it anyway and let ye all know how it goes