Help me with Error on Ebay so I avoid suspension, please. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-02-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 84%
Default Help me with Error on Ebay so I avoid suspension, please.

I'm getting a limit on my account for selling. I've got a lot of ads up and its asked me to update my phone number- I assume its possible they'd called me, and then today- I list through Garage Sale- I was not allowed to list.

My account seems fine, no messages on my eBay, and no other holds, I can communicate and bid and buys as I desire.

This looks like I did a minor no-no, so if anyone has experience, they called it an error 240 on GS and I'd like to know what I'm in for before approaching eBay.

Thanks in advance for everything.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-02-2012

Longevity: 79%

I'd suggest you have a look at this:

I read through it briefly myself and see theres some solutions there, Good luck.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/questio...240/1000225531
The Following User Says Thank You to Thankful For This Useful Post:
ebiteme (04-03-2012)
Old 04-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiteme View Post
I'm getting a limit on my account for selling. I've got a lot of ads up and its asked me to update my phone number- I assume its possible they'd called me, and then today- I list through Garage Sale- I was not allowed to list.

My account seems fine, no messages on my eBay, and no other holds, I can communicate and bid and buys as I desire.

This looks like I did a minor no-no, so if anyone has experience, they called it an error 240 on GS and I'd like to know what I'm in for before approaching eBay.

Thanks in advance for everything.
From Garage Sale help

Possible reasons why eBay returns error #240:

1.: You're using a brand new eBay account.
If you're using a recently created eBay account, make sure you list your first item through ebay's website directly. This a restriction from ebay.

2.: You don't have enough positive feedback points.
On some eBay sites it seems you have to collect enough positive feedback points to be able to use third party eBay tools, like GarageSale.
On some eBay sites you need enough positive feedback points to be able to list auctions with a duration under 5 days.
As a new seller, you need to establish a positive selling history and show that you're able to meet the needs of your customers. Knowing the latest features available to you will help you succeed as a seller. Please try listing your item using the Sell Your Item form on eBay.

3.: You've reached your selling limit.
It might be an issue with your selling limit (e.g. 100 item or US$5000 each month). If so contact eBay to increase your selling limit.

4.: There's an issue with your seller or PayPal account or a missing setting on the "My eBay" website.
Try to list one of your items on the eBay website directly. Most likely you need to accept some new eBay terms or update an expired credit card. Also, make sure you already have a "seller account" setup on the "My eBay" website.

5.: You're using a word or term that is prohibited by eBay.
If you use a third party lister like GarageSale eBay makes use of content filters to make sure you don't use prohibited terms or code. Unfortunately only eBay knows what terms are allowed in which categories. Some terms that MIGHT cause trouble (in the title field, item description, payment instructions or footer field) are:
money order
cheque, check
cash
paypay
soiled
like new (use 'slightly used' instead)
mint condition
vintage
copy, reproduction
(also note the helpful links below)
How to find the 'improper' words?:
Remove your auction title: Do you still get that error? If not, some word in the title must have caused the trouble. If needed, repeat this with the description field.

6.: Miscellaneous:
Once a customer wrote us: "It was because I put the word battery in the listing. Battery is assumed to be included already. It's weird because I put extra."
Remove email addresses (e.g. your PayPal email address). eBay no longer allows email addresses. Check your item description, payment instructions and return policy. Also, make sure you don't have any @ symbols anywhere in your listing.
Another customer figured this out: "We had in our write-ups, Please check with your Customs ..., I guess the word check was a no-no, and at the bottom we had our email address to contact us if there was a problem. After changing check to make sure and eliminating our email address we did get one to go."
Another report: "I listed a new item via eBay's website, rebooted my computer and everything was working again. I am not sure why this fixed it, but all is well. This solution may help others that had the same problem."
Use eBay's product cataloque
Use the correct category! (Message from eBay Germany):

EBay Error 240 - GarageSaleWiki
ebiteme (04-03-2012), jedd30 (04-03-2012)
Old 04-02-2012
Threadstarter  

Default So it looks like a Garage Sale issue?

I did try to re-list an ended auction without going through GS, and it didn't go, but the GS code was obviously still in the ad.

Whats the story with all that? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012
Threadstarter  

Default None Other-

Ilya sent me that one, but it doesn't look like anything I know of. I can't see a problem with any of my ads. I called eBay and they said- "someone will be calling you to discuss your business" for whatever thats worth...

Its not really a business...

Any ideas of what it could be about are greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOther View Post
From Garage Sale help

Possible reasons why eBay returns error #240:

1.: You're using a brand new eBay account.
If you're using a recently created eBay account, make sure you list your first item through ebay's website directly. This a restriction from ebay.

2.: You don't have enough positive feedback points.
On some eBay sites it seems you have to collect enough positive feedback points to be able to use third party eBay tools, like GarageSale.
On some eBay sites you need enough positive feedback points to be able to list auctions with a duration under 5 days.
As a new seller, you need to establish a positive selling history and show that you're able to meet the needs of your customers. Knowing the latest features available to you will help you succeed as a seller. Please try listing your item using the Sell Your Item form on eBay.

3.: You've reached your selling limit.
It might be an issue with your selling limit (e.g. 100 item or US$5000 each month). If so contact eBay to increase your selling limit.

4.: There's an issue with your seller or PayPal account or a missing setting on the "My eBay" website.
Try to list one of your items on the eBay website directly. Most likely you need to accept some new eBay terms or update an expired credit card. Also, make sure you already have a "seller account" setup on the "My eBay" website.

5.: You're using a word or term that is prohibited by eBay.
If you use a third party lister like GarageSale eBay makes use of content filters to make sure you don't use prohibited terms or code. Unfortunately only eBay knows what terms are allowed in which categories. Some terms that MIGHT cause trouble (in the title field, item description, payment instructions or footer field) are:
money order
cheque, check
cash
paypay
soiled
like new (use 'slightly used' instead)
mint condition
vintage
copy, reproduction
(also note the helpful links below)
How to find the 'improper' words?:
Remove your auction title: Do you still get that error? If not, some word in the title must have caused the trouble. If needed, repeat this with the description field.

6.: Miscellaneous:
Once a customer wrote us: "It was because I put the word battery in the listing. Battery is assumed to be included already. It's weird because I put extra."
Remove email addresses (e.g. your PayPal email address). eBay no longer allows email addresses. Check your item description, payment instructions and return policy. Also, make sure you don't have any @ symbols anywhere in your listing.
Another customer figured this out: "We had in our write-ups, Please check with your Customs ..., I guess the word check was a no-no, and at the bottom we had our email address to contact us if there was a problem. After changing check to make sure and eliminating our email address we did get one to go."
Another report: "I listed a new item via eBay's website, rebooted my computer and everything was working again. I am not sure why this fixed it, but all is well. This solution may help others that had the same problem."
Use eBay's product cataloque
Use the correct category! (Message from eBay Germany):

EBay Error 240 - GarageSaleWiki
Old 04-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiteme View Post
I did try to re-list an ended auction without going through GS, and it didn't go, but the GS code was obviously still in the ad.

Whats the story with all that? Any ideas? Thanks!
If you can't list directly through e/b then your account has a problem.

Have you had a suspension notice email recently?
ebiteme (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOther View Post
If you can't list directly through e/b then your account has a problem.

Have you had a suspension notice email recently?
No, but they're supposed to be calling me today. does anyone know what I should and shouldn't say? I'm using Google Adwords already, and I sell big ticket items- vehicles usually over 10K, so I'm not sure what they'll tell me. I usually use Classifieds, so not sure what they can say- those are more forgiving...

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-03-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Start making new accounts.
ebiteme (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Default You say that with 100% confidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Start making new accounts.
In looking at other cases by Garage Sale, it looks like a lot get resolved, so I'm curious about that aspect...
Old 04-03-2012
Executive [VIP]

It's got nothing to do with Garage Sale

The error messages you received through GS are from e/b's servers.

Therefore your problem is with your e/b account not GS
Old 04-05-2012
Threadstarter  

Default Still nothing from them-

They were supposed to call me by Tuesday evening at the latest, and I never heard a word from them.

Good sign, or what? I think it may be a limiting thing, even though I never sell through the auctions listings, people always buy when I have a classified and then we set up contact and we negotiate. All high priced items- vehicles starting at 10K and up to 50K.

Any ideas about whether this is a good sign? All my sales listings are still up.
Old 04-06-2012
Threadstarter  

Default Seller Risk Management Enquiry-

Hi, I've gotten my info on what they want from me to continue selling- its the seller risk management folks.

They ask me for the following-

List of suppliers and a guarantee that I have more of what I sell available.

2 sides of drivers license.

Checking account statement with address.

A letter discussing my plans for selling on eBay in the future.

My answers- I sell used vehicles and have a lot in inventory. I have proof of ownership and I buy from a steady source as well as from the public. I have a drivers license. I don't have a checking account with the address, I bank online and offshore, so I can give a family member.

Anyone see any problems with these?

Should I just blow them off and see if the restriction is lifted after a few months. I spend too much on eBay anyway, I have a lot of action from Google and eBay just accompanies that.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-06-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Thats like asking if you should preserve your business - is it viable? worth keeping? Up to you - if you can provide the docs, do it and hope for a strong account.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
ebiteme (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Yeah, no one else would know this but you.
ebiteme (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012
Threadstarter  

Question is, will they lift the restriction on their own after a few months? If I don't reply, will they boot me? Is there anything I can do wrong when answering? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It is very unlikely they will lift the restriction unless you provide what they are asking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
ebiteme (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012

it has been over 1 year since they restricted seller privileges on 5 accounts, that where suspected of being linked to a suspended account, and I was selling new apple products, they wanted to see invoices, and said I needed to be registered with apple as a reseller. but that would have taken away my rights as an end-user and could not get apple products warrantied - so I chose not to.

I never sent them the documents and the accounts are still restricted, now I only use them to buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to scrapdog2grand For This Useful Post:
ebiteme (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
It is very unlikely they will lift the restriction unless you provide what they are asking for.
Yup, once you provide what they are looking for then your account may be reinstated. It might take longer then you think though. Just send whatever info and wait.
ebiteme (04-07-2012)
Old 04-08-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdog2grand View Post
it has been over 1 year since they restricted seller privileges on 5 accounts, that where suspected of being linked to a suspended account, and I was selling new apple products, they wanted to see invoices, and said I needed to be registered with apple as a reseller. but that would have taken away my rights as an end-user and could not get apple products warrantied - so I chose not to.

I never sent them the documents and the accounts are still restricted, now I only use them to buy.
I don't have any suspended accounts, so that wouldn't be it.

My problem is that I sell older stuff, vehicles like tractors that don't have titles, but they want to see that I have a supply chain- like they asked you for, so where do I go with that one? Give them photos of my 40 tractors I have in various warehouses? Can I send then the handwritten bills of sale for a vintage tractor I bought from an old farmer 20 years ago? Not really a normal thing I'm doing, so its not so cut and dry...

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.