Moving out soon,need suggestions and help - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-30-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Post Moving out soon,need suggestions and help

Recently things have been really tuff with family financially, So i started selling on ebay too help pay for small things when i was 14 for a while, got suspended, but that was back then about 2 years ago. Im already back on ebay (not selling anything),have 3 accounts 1 year old each, and im currently doing research on what should i start selling,etc... Im not a big fan of selling v*ro items as i heard that many people can get caught and run into legal problems, and i dont like the fact that the items aren't legit and that people are paying for them. Im still young (turning 16) and thats the last thing id like to happend at the position im in, As the title states i am soon moving out with my older brother (18) into a apartment and from there we must plan how we are going to support are selves then, Reason why were moving out is are family is slowly breaking apart and its tuff supporting all 6 of us (I have 5 brothers,all boys). And other financial problems... Id like any suggestions and tips, im not asking on "how too make money" etc just want too know what would you do if you were in this situation, and had too start out from scratch, no furniture,bed,clothes,etc... any thing is greatly appreciated as im moving out soon. Even a good luck will motivate me
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-30-2012

The only thing I can offer is 'good luck'. Someone of your age should not be having to deal with this - no offence by this but you are just a child and there is something deeply wrong with a society that leaves a young chap like you to deal with this on your own.

I wish I could say come to Wales and stay with us for a while but I fear seperating you from your culture would just make things worse.

Very best wishes whatever happens and feel free to PM me anytime
The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
techbayelectronics (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 73%

I would urge you to get all the available state help open to you & advice from the citizens advice bureau, your local council authority, your employment center etc etc.

This safety net will give you a chance to get back on your feet. It will in the mean time put food on the table & a roof over your head in the interim period while you decide your longer mid-long term goals.

I'd take things from here onwards.
Old 06-30-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Go to a local Salvation army and ask for the manager. Tell them your situation and in some cases they will provide you with a bed, some clothing etc.

I know someone who was 18 and started with nothing also. Just had enough to pay rent and buy food.

They worked 2 jobs for a long time and a couple of years later they are doing fantastic. Rough at first but they did it!!!

One change of clothes, no money after paying first months rent and little food.

Keep a positive attitude, find multiple jobs if needed and spend your money wisely.

Sell the items you no longer need or want and invest in profit making items.
As long as you have a place to stay, food etc.

Good luck.

Showing that you are willing to work tells me that you will be ok with some thoughtful decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 76%

If you are good at socializing with people and can ignore 99% of idiots, start trading on Crai.gs.Li.st.

There are no refunds unlike EB/PP and most people are so ignorant, you can make money on anything. The opportunities are out there and every city is different. One item may sell incredibly fast in one city and slow in another. Look for something where there is almost no competition.

If you can, start with something you know. Best turnaround is of course electronics. I have done some pretty incredible things on there when the opportunities show themselves. Sometimes people need money fast, so they sell their items way below what they normally could. Offer them cash immediately and then come home and put it back on CL at a higher price. Do this repeatedly and you'll be surprised how much cash you can flip if you are aggressive enough.

Someone of your age has the best position. You are young, so people will think you are innocent. Use this to your utmost advantage to hustle the sh*t out of people.

Last edited by unkown5454; 06-30-2012 at 06:23 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
colt63 (07-01-2012), GreenBean (06-30-2012), madmuppet303 (07-01-2012), sax4 (06-30-2012), techbayelectronics (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012
Banned

Great info ^^^^^^^

Also think about renting a furnished apartment so you can put any money into other things you may need.
Old 06-30-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post
The only thing I can offer is 'good luck'. Someone of your age should not be having to deal with this - no offence by this but you are just a child and there is something deeply wrong with a society that leaves a young chap like you to deal with this on your own.

I wish I could say come to Wales and stay with us for a while but I fear seperating you from your culture would just make things worse.

Very best wishes whatever happens and feel free to PM me anytime
You are completely correct i am just a child, But my mindstate is different from my not so good "childhood", Mental age is also a big part. And believe it or not tat would be amazing, and theres nothing too separate me from, my past generations have left me nothing, I grew up seeing and experiencing alot that had made me realize alot and learnt from it all. I appreciate your help also thank you very much!
Old 06-30-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVE View Post
I would urge you to get all the available state help open to you & advice from the citizens advice bureau, your local council authority, your employment center etc etc.

This safety net will give you a chance to get back on your feet. It will in the mean time put food on the table & a roof over your head in the interim period while you decide your longer mid-long term goals.

I'd take things from here onwards.
Great information appreciate it,thank you i will do more research on that also.
Old 06-30-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Go to a local Salvation army and ask for the manager. Tell them your situation and in some cases they will provide you with a bed, some clothing etc.

I know someone who was 18 and started with nothing also. Just had enough to pay rent and buy food.

They worked 2 jobs for a long time and a couple of years later they are doing fantastic. Rough at first but they did it!!!

One change of clothes, no money after paying first months rent and little food.

Keep a positive attitude, find multiple jobs if needed and spend your money wisely.

Sell the items you no longer need or want and invest in profit making items.
As long as you have a place to stay, food etc.

Good luck.

Showing that you are willing to work tells me that you will be ok with some thoughtful decisions.
Thank you very much, Good motivation also , i do have a local salvation army and am thinking of going there. Thank you again.
Old 06-30-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
If you are good at socializing with people and can ignore 99% of idiots, start trading on Crai.gs.Li.st.

There are no refunds unlike EB/PP and most people are so ignorant, you can make money on anything. The opportunities are out there and every city is different. One item may sell incredibly fast in one city and slow in another. Look for something where there is almost no competition.

If you can, start with something you know. Best turnaround is of course electronics. I have done some pretty incredible things on there when the opportunities show themselves. Sometimes people need money fast, so they sell their items way below what they normally could. Offer them cash immediately and then come home and put it back on CL at a higher price. Do this repeatedly and you'll be surprised how much cash you can flip if you are aggressive enough.

Someone of your age has the best position. You are young, so people will think you are innocent. Use this to your utmost advantage to hustle the sh*t out of people.
This is awesome information,thank you very much! Appreciate it alot! I have wrote this down also to give it a shot.
Old 06-30-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbayelectronics View Post
This is awesome information,thank you very much! Appreciate it alot! I have wrote this down also to give it a shot.
Listen carefully to unkown he knows what he is talking about!
techbayelectronics (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbayelectronics View Post
Recently things have been really tuff with family financially, As the title states i am soon moving out with my older brother (18) into a apartment and from there we must plan how we are going to support are selves then, Reason why were moving out is are family is slowly breaking apart and its tuff supporting all 6 of us (I have 5 brothers,all boys). And other financial problems... Id like any suggestions and tips, im not asking on "how too make money" etc just want too know what would you do if you were in this situation, and had too start out from scratch, no furniture,bed,clothes,etc... any thing is greatly appreciated as im moving out soon. Even a good luck will motivate me
Never good to hear of families breaking up.
World is a hellava scary place and more so if you have to look after yourself.
Too far to come to Australia but I'm always a pm away if you need anything

I would suggest looking at finding accommodation with a family at the start.
To rent any property you would have the expenses of a bond, utilities in advance. Your outgoings might be more than your income. This does not work ever. Consider that as a possible temporary measure.
Start practising having less problems in your life.

Be wary of strangers offering the moon. If it seems too good to be true, IT IS.
Learn to go with your gut feelings. Be proud of yourself that you could choose to try to change your life.

Have respect and show others respect. You'll be surprised at what doors can open.

Control your own money. Brother or not dont let yourself exposed to having no money.
You got good advice about 'doing business in the 'hood'. Look around for small jobs.... mow lawns etc.
You have to go out to the world.
You can do it
colt63 (07-01-2012), cortex (07-01-2012), techbayelectronics (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Look into buying entire computers sets at the thrift stores/craigslist(?). Piece them apart and sell the pieces by themselves.

People are always looking into buying parts from old computers so that they won't need to buy a newer ones and waste money on. I have known people who keep their computers for over 7 years, I usually upgrade every year but that is just me.

Make sure to test out the computers at the store if possible. You can always talk to the Manager there to make sure it turns on.

If the computer does not have a hard drive there is always ways around that. Take your own drive with you. Make sure it is loaded with Windows 98 or XP. And take two versions of hard drives, there is IDE and SATA connection. SATA connection is newer, 2005(?) and forward, IDE is older tech.

When I do it, I take 2 hard drives with me, one SATA and 1 IDE. The SATA drive is loaded with Windows XP and the IDE loaded with 98. I carry the appropriated cables with me if the computer does not have any cables, some computers are kinda striped from the inside.

If the computer has all the drives and everything starts up, download a program called "CPUZ", and "GPUZ". Both programs will tell you what kind of hardware the baby has within seconds. No need to look around and guess on the components. If it does not turn on, even without your own hard drive, I would look in the inside and guess what kind of computer components it has. Memory modules are usually labeled with the type and amount it is. Processors are harder to get to cuz you would need to take off the heat sink, fan(s), and any tubing that leads to the processor. aka all the cooling stuff that cools the processor down.

You can start selling the pieces on Craigslist cuz the fees can kill a new seller on EB. But you kinda need to face your customers face to face and deal with lots of no shows.

I started out that way and oh boy, I had an entire room filled with components that when I lived with my sister she complained like a mad woman.

You don't have to be good in computers to know all of this. You just need to know how to look for info. Look at what type of parts are in the inside and learn how to find prices on those items. If the selling price looks good vs the selling price on individual components and you can make a profit, then the day is good.

If you need any more info, I am just a simple PM away. I love helping out people with their computer needs. But I am a hardware person and not a software person.
The Following User Says Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
You got good advice about 'doing business in the 'hood'.
GB, it's not at all about being hood. He is just turning 16 and this is something most of us are not dealing with. He can't get an amazing job at his age and he most likely does not have thousands of dollars saved up to invest into inventory. My advice is literally coming from the point of view of starting with nothing and no way to invest. CL can change this if you are disciplined, motivated and learn to really use your brain. You start small and work up. I have been there when there are almost no other options and no one to help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I am VERY sorry to hear about this,,,VERY Tough Spot for someone so Young,,,What I would Suggest is to go out there and get a REAL Job, doing ANYTHING, Pumping Gas, Washing cars, Mowing Lawn,,Whatever, This will give you a STEADY amount of Money comming in EVERY Week.

Then in your Spare time you can "Mess" with Ebay, Amazon, ect, ect, Work out a SOLID Business Plan, NOT Freaking out if you lose an Account because the Rent is due,, Take your time to Find a Nice Little Product line, ect, ect. That steady Job will Keep the Pressure OFF, Keeping you from "Rushing" Making Mistakes, getting your questions anwsed on this Forum will also Help.

At any Rate we are ALL Here to help,,,24/7,,,Good Luck

Last edited by slapped; 07-01-2012 at 01:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (07-01-2012), techbayelectronics (07-01-2012), unkown5454 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012
Banned

Quote:
GB, it's not at all about being hood. He is just turning 16 and this is something most of us are not dealing with. He can't get an amazing job at his age and he most likely does not have thousands of dollars saved up to invest into inventory. My advice is literally coming from the point of view of starting with nothing and no way to invest. CL can change this if you are disciplined, motivated and learn to really use your brain. You start small and work up. I have been there when there are almost no other options and no one to help you.
Based on his knowledge of electronics he should be able to make some decent money buying and re selling off CL and or putting it back up on ebay etc.
Old 07-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
GB, it's not at all about being hood.
Craiglist is part of the hood for him at this point of his life. There's no suggestion of his having thousands of dollars. Re-read what I wrote. Money and a roof over his head are entirely missing in his life He has to select options carefully
Old 07-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
Look into buying entire computers sets at the thrift stores/craigslist(?). Piece them apart and sell the pieces by themselves.

People are always looking into buying parts from old computers so that they won't need to buy a newer ones and waste money on. I have known people who keep their computers for over 7 years, I usually upgrade every year but that is just me.

Make sure to test out the computers at the store if possible. You can always talk to the Manager there to make sure it turns on.

If the computer does not have a hard drive there is always ways around that. Take your own drive with you. Make sure it is loaded with Windows 98 or XP. And take two versions of hard drives, there is IDE and SATA connection. SATA connection is newer, 2005(?) and forward, IDE is older tech.

When I do it, I take 2 hard drives with me, one SATA and 1 IDE. The SATA drive is loaded with Windows XP and the IDE loaded with 98. I carry the appropriated cables with me if the computer does not have any cables, some computers are kinda striped from the inside.

If the computer has all the drives and everything starts up, download a program called "CPUZ", and "GPUZ". Both programs will tell you what kind of hardware the baby has within seconds. No need to look around and guess on the components. If it does not turn on, even without your own hard drive, I would look in the inside and guess what kind of computer components it has. Memory modules are usually labeled with the type and amount it is. Processors are harder to get to cuz you would need to take off the heat sink, fan(s), and any tubing that leads to the processor. aka all the cooling stuff that cools the processor down.

You can start selling the pieces on Craigslist cuz the fees can kill a new seller on EB. But you kinda need to face your customers face to face and deal with lots of no shows.

I started out that way and oh boy, I had an entire room filled with components that when I lived with my sister she complained like a mad woman.

You don't have to be good in computers to know all of this. You just need to know how to look for info. Look at what type of parts are in the inside and learn how to find prices on those items. If the selling price looks good vs the selling price on individual components and you can make a profit, then the day is good.

If you need any more info, I am just a simple PM away. I love helping out people with their computer needs. But I am a hardware person and not a software person.
Great information,aslo in the list i am soon going to try,thank you very much, Seriously appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Never good to hear of families breaking up.
World is a hellava scary place and more so if you have to look after yourself.
Too far to come to Australia but I'm always a pm away if you need anything

I would suggest looking at finding accommodation with a family at the start.
To rent any property you would have the expenses of a bond, utilities in advance. Your outgoings might be more than your income. This does not work ever. Consider that as a possible temporary measure.
Start practising having less problems in your life.

Be wary of strangers offering the moon. If it seems too good to be true, IT IS.
Learn to go with your gut feelings. Be proud of yourself that you could choose to try to change your life.

Have respect and show others respect. You'll be surprised at what doors can open.

Control your own money. Brother or not dont let yourself exposed to having no money.
You got good advice about 'doing business in the 'hood'. Look around for small jobs.... mow lawns etc.
You have to go out to the world.
You can do it
Thank you very much GB appreciate it a ton! Will PM you if anything also.
Old 07-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
You seem to understand my situation very well, But again GB was attempting too help , But you are correct, Thank you again.
Old 07-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
I am VERY sorry to hear about this,,,VERY Tough Spot for someone so Young,,,What I would Suggest is to go out there and get a REAL Job, doing ANYTHING, Pumping Gas, Washing cars, Mowing Lawn,,Whatever, This will give you a STEADY amount of Money comming in EVERY Week.

Then in your Spare time you can "Mess" with Ebay, Amazon, ect, ect, Work out a SOLID Business Plan, NOT Freaking out if you lose an Account because the Rent is due,, Take your time to Find a Nice Little Product line, ect, ect. That steady Job will Keep the Pressure OFF, Keeping you from "Rushing" Making Mistakes, getting your questions anwsed on this Forum will also Help.

At any Rate we are ALL Here to help,,,24/7,,,Good Luck
I agree on this 10000%, You are completely correct and its great information,"That steady Job will Keep the Pressure OFF" Very true also, This is part of my plan also appreciate it alot! Thank you very much!
Old 07-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Thanks too all your help i am already coming up with a much better plan than what i had before , I feel much more confident also, God bless you all and thank you very much,any other suggestions are very appreciated. I also came up with some skills that i have that may be useful for any suggestions:
- I do some SEO (search engine optimization) work.
- I have experience with some web development.
- I know alot about electronics and computers (Use too sell them to buy clothing and other needs)
Again thank you all appreciate it alot!!