Partial Refunds - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-27-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Partial Refunds

If offering up a partial refund how do you calculate how much to offer? A percentage, a set amount? Do you not offer them at all?

I sell clothing and I have a customer who emailed me this morning and said she was wearing the shirt she bought from me and after she got to work she noticed it had two very tiny snags on it, she wanted to know if she could exchange it for the same item in another color (which is a no, since I only have one more of these in this size and it is already listed with bids) I responded and told her no I wouldnt be able to do an exchange but I would offer her a $4 credit back through paypal, she paid $27 for the item (which retails for $56 on the specialty site it came from.) and since she has already admitted to wearing it I can't be sure that she didn't snag it herself since I go over these items with a find tooth comb before I ever list them, plus if she returns it I would now have to sell it as used since she has removed the tags & worn it so it would likely sell for less than $10. Anyway she responded and said she would like to keep it but she felt that $4 wasn't a fair offer.

Personally i think $4 for an item you are already wearing and have described as " very tiny snags" is fair and the only other option I will offer her is return for a full refund simply take the loss which I will do before I let her get the shirt and a a big chunk of her money back, There are too many buyers on ebay who want their item and their money too.

What do you all do in these situations? risk the neg and say no or bite the bullet and give in to them.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-27-2013

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

This situation happens sometimes, and it does suck , but I do everything to keep my accounts at 100%, I never risk a negative, I always cater to the customer and ask them what can I do to make you happy and if that means I lose everything I take the loss and take care of this problem in a timely fashion. My results seem to always turn a possible negative into a positive feedback which makes me happy and was worth the cost.

That being said I don't sell high priced or rather a high cost item . Some items cost $15 and I profit $20-$40, so I'm not taking a big loss and the other items profits cover for the loss. And more important this only happens once in a while.

So you need to weigh all this out according to your own business, but I look at it as another cost of doing business and don't even worry over it
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
golden_monkey (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

$4 on a $27 item is measly.

Dont forget you are trying to make the customer happy.

Might even be when you went over that item with a fine tooth comb you snagged it yourself

Reconsider the refund.

Move on to the next sale
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I'm not sure how the OP arrived at the $4 figure, but I agree with GreenBean. I would have offered $7. The thing is, when a customer complains, the goal for that particular sale changes from profit to damage control. For me, I would rather have the sale be a wash and not get a negative or a claim filed. Sometimes, depending on the circumstances, I would even be willing to lose on the sale.

In the OP's post, thy seem a bit emotional about the issue and that is a mistake. There is NO PLACE FOR EMOTIONS IN BUSINESS OR INVESTING! Of course, this can be difficult, because we feel insulted when someone complains. However, getting emotional won't help the situation. Your decision needs to be a BUSINESS decision based on the larger picture.

How much is the account worth to you? Yes, not every dispute leads to an account closure, but it is best to nip this stuff in the bud, so to speak, before it gets out of control.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

One other thing....

When a buyer contacts you to complain, often they will let you know what they are unhappy about and then ask something like "what can we do to resolve this?"

In those cases, I usually reply something like "I'm sure we can work this out. What do you propose?"

I let the buyer name the solution. Often, they will ask for less than you were going to offer.
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Depends on the extent of damage or what is wrong with the item. I usually try to come to an amount where I at least break even on the product. Sometimes even if I lose money I don't care, for me I would rather do that than have the item returned in most cases.
Old 06-27-2013

Longevity: 69%

Well, turn the situation around if you don't want to refund... would you pay $27 to have a negative feedback removed on your account? If so, just make it seem like you're doing the person a huge favor, either refund the whole thing or mention 50% back or something.

The odds are she caused it, but if she leaves negative feedback either way you're toast.

I have a few of these a month. I can't be bothered with the back and forth emails and such for a few bucks. I just send 1-2 emails (copy/pasted) about how I feel bad and I will give the money back, but please leave positive feedback, it would be very appreciated, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to css1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013

Longevity: 73%

holy smokes

have the person ship the item back and give them a flipping refund.

shark nailed it

some people just don't understand business and customer service.......and its NOT this
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

I have to disagree with Golden Monkey on this one. Of course, if the buyer wants a refund, then YES, have them send it back and refund their money.

If possible, however, I always try to see if a discount will make the buyer happy. It is too expensive and time consuming to deal with returns if you can avoid it.
Old 06-27-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%

I normally do 20%
Old 06-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I have to disagree with Golden Monkey on this one. Of course, if the buyer wants a refund, then YES, have them send it back and refund their money.

If possible, however, I always try to see if a discount will make the buyer happy. It is too expensive and time consuming to deal with returns if you can avoid it.
Yea, I agree. I usually ask the buyer if they would be interested it in a lower price. I throw a number out there sometimes we haggle a bit. But if I can avoid a return I always try to.
Old 06-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreech41311 View Post
What do you all do in these situations? risk the neg and say no or bite the bullet and give in to them.
Customer is key - neg feedback is nice to avoid and for this small item, might have to suck it up completely or at least 1/3 refund
Old 06-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreech41311 View Post

You are so not giving into them if you provide them with great customer service by way of refund ( partial or otherwise).

You are being proactive in protecting your account.

This allows you to go onwards to more sales.

I have even managed to get return sales from buyers who had refunds.

Old 06-28-2013

I usually ask the buyer what they want for a refund, if they are anywhere near reasonable I go with that. I mean we are not trying to make forum members happy we are trying to make a customer happy. Customer will be the one leaving feedback not forum members. If buyer is crazy than I would do whatever helps me avoid negatives
Old 06-28-2013

OP, I know how you feel and it sucks. Oh did I say it sucks? You can't win! Can't not possible! Give her anything she wants because $27 could cost you your income. Is it worth it? Also sweetly ask her to leave positive FB in return for this. Good luck.