Concern of selling my Tiffany engagement ring - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default Concern of selling my Tiffany engagement ring

I am new to eBay and have never sold anything on it before. Recently my fiance called off our engagement and now I'm trying to sell the ring, which happens to be a Tiffany. I feel I'd get the best value for the ring by going through eBay but am afraid due to my lack of experience using it will end up getting scammed.

I recently posted an auction with the starting price of $5,500, with the buy out being $7,150. Shortly after I started receiving messages by people asking me about the ring. One person asked that if I modify my posting to to make the buy out $6,800 with no auction they would purchase the ring.

This buyer has very little history and the only comment someone gave him said that they had issues receiving payment.

To make a long story short I decided to cancel the posting until I really know what I am doing to make sure the transaction will be as safe as possible. What would you recommend for steps to take in selling such an expensive item?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-13-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

If you are 'new' to ebay, then my only recommendation is to use a trading assistant for this matter.

warning ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-find-...2170817/g.html

You would be adding to your woes to do your own listing.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2013

Longevity: 65%

And this is your first post on aspkin?

This is your first sale on ebay?

Big ticket item..... no experience.. and YOU'RE worried about getting scammed? Hehe..

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Furious George For This Useful Post:
joesshooze (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013

Longevity: 70%

Include lots of pictures and as much proof as possible to show yours is legit. Also include a disclaimer which may help. ONLY use your pictures, especially in the main one. Dont list alot of other highly phaked items right away such as dvds, etc. List some household items as well.
Old 07-13-2013

Longevity: 90%

LOL! She isn't fooling anyone ... "New to eBay" Right ... That made me chuckle a bit ... She is "new" to eBay and yet she is already concerned about selling TIFFANY&CO. Not to mention that she is already posting on Aspkin's forum.

My BS meter is off the charts!
Old 07-13-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I think people are reading too much into this. It is entirely possible that the OP is merely trying to sell something but does not want to be scammed, just like she said. So, here are my recommendations.

First, be aware that many Tiffany counterfeits are sold on eBay. If the buyer claims it is a counterfeit, PayPal COULD give them a refund without requiring the return of your item. Given the value of your item, you want to avoid this.

I would be wary of selling to someone with no or little history. Especially if that person wants to do a quick sale.

ONLY ship to a PayPal confirmed address.
INSURE the item for it's full value.
SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION IS A MUST!

Scammers will attempt to do a transaction quickly. Often, they will email you and ask that you ship to an address other than the confirmed address sent by PayPal. DON'T DO IT! If you do, you will lose your seller protection.

Keep in mind that Seller Protection is NOT an absolute. If the buyer claims it is counterfeit, it will not be covered. If the buyer claims fraud and files a chargeback, you may or may not win your case with PayPal.

Scammers are always looking for high value items sold by those with little experience - meaning those sellers who are not aware of how to protect themselves.

Stolen or hacked PayPal accounts are sold on the internet just like credit card numbers. Sometimes a scammer will buy a PayPal account and try to buy an expensive item, asking the seller to ship to a different address. When the REAL account holder discovers the loss, they contact PayPal and ask for their money back. If this is the case and you shipped to any address other than the one confirmed by PayPal, you will lose both the money AND your item.

If you have a receipt for this item, or something else to prove authenticity, make sure you have copies if you are including those in the sale.

By all means, go to the link specified by Greenbean and learn all that you can. GB has lots of experience with eBay and she is usually right on the money.

Don't be discouraged by what I am saying. MOST eBay transactions DO go smoothly. But you DO have to protect yourself.

Last edited by jeffweico; 07-13-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

There is Only 1 Stone Cold Fool Proof Method, The Item MUST Be Picked up,,IN PERSON, and Paid for in CASH or CERTIFIED Funds ONLY, No Credit Cards, Debit Cards,Baseball card collection or any other Bulls^it like that ,,To Give Buyers Assurance that the Article is Genuine you can get an OFFICIAL GIA Certification that they can Confirn before they pick it up,,You can also get Tiffany to authenticate the ring,,,ALL other methods NO Matter what precautions you take are RISKY, and that is a FACT!!!

If you live in or Near a Populated city,,For an an Item like that you WILL get your price so do NOT worry about that, you can always meet the Buyer in the City, in your bank, or in a Lawyers office (for a Fee), or a Jewlery store that will Validate the item on the Spot (Again for a Fee),,

I would NEVER put something like that in the Mail, NO Matter how Much Insurance, Seller Protection or Whatever else kind of protection you may THINK that you have,,,

Last edited by slapped; 07-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
GoteBay (07-15-2013), jeffweico (07-13-2013), SaiJin (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

I like Slapped's idea about meeting the buyer at a jeweler. That way the buyer knows it is authentic and you don't have someone knowing your home address. And cash would be the best way to handle the transaction, especially for an item this valuable.
Closed Thread