First step: Choosing the Name (question) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-29-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default First step: Choosing the Name (question)

I have read that there are other ways to create a stealth account, other than creating an LLC. As I am new to all this, and will be happy to earn an extra $500-$1000/month (although hope to grow big someday), I think an LLC would not be necessary for me just yet. So am I correct in thinking that I can just use a variation of my name for my stealth account/s?

Say my name is Mary Heather Jones. (My last name is as common as Jones.) I use Heather Jones in all my documents, including bank accounts, credit cards, everyday dealings, etc. except for government documents such as my passport, social, and my driver's license which all need to have my full name. I assume I can just use "Mary Jones" in my stealth account; and maybe a variation of this, such as "Marie Jones" and "Mari Jones" in maybe two more stealth accounts?

Or is a variation of my name not even necessary, and I can just use a totally random name, like Rebecca Claire Morrison?

Please note that this question is just for the name. I know there are many elements to a stealth account -- address, IP, phone number, bank account, etc. But I'm literally just on the first step of organizing my thoughts on how to go about this ebay business, and I figured the name is a good place to begin. Thanks in advance.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-29-2014

Longevity: 64%
Default Re: First step: Choosing the Name (question)

Both name variations and a completely different name from your own are perfectly fine for stealth.

You don't need an LLC in the beginning, especially if you are completely new to stealth. Just get comfortable with making accounts first and later on if you decide to officially register as a business, you'll always have that option to upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to plumsake2 For This Useful Post:
padawan (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014

Longevity: 58%

You have to go about it as if you were fleeing the country with a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ passport and assuming a new identity.

Your old you, and everything associated with is, is now dead.

You are now Leon Alfred. Or whatever.

I even answer all my client's messages with a signature of my respective account's name.

If you go about operating your accounts as a new alter ego, with nothing even remotely similar to your old accounts, you are golden.

This goes beyond just account details. People forget it can include stuff like:
  • Product similarity (My first legit eBay account was suspended for being linked to a cousin who had, according to eBay reps, a "similar business model." We probably shared computers/IP at a few points across the years)
  • Recycled images (Cropping is NOT enough. Wipe EXIF data, new background)
  • Descriptions in listing
Old 05-29-2014

Longevity: 59%

I never use anything even close to my real name....it's just one more thing they could try with to link you later on...and really, what is the point?? Stealth is stealth.
Old 05-29-2014
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

Making up a name is the easiest part, choose something different, you don't want to link yourself
Old 05-30-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I just thought... for bank account purposes?
Dang, I really still have a lot to learn. I thought I had it... but then I don't.
Off to reread the book.
Old 05-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

My young Padawan, you use your own real ID for the bank account ( always).
Old 05-30-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

GreenBean, I understand that we always use our real name in our bank accounts. I guess I misunderstood the whole "mismatched names accepted by banks". I thought that "mismatched" meant mis-spelled. I didn't realize that it actually means a bank account under your real name, Heather Jones accepting a deposit/transfer/check(?) in the name of Rebecca Morrison. Or is that still a wrong interpretation?

Last edited by padawan; 05-30-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2014

Longevity: 64%

You have it correct now.

If your real name was Heather Jones, a name variation (misspelled) would be Heather Joness or something. A mismatched name would be any random name.

Some banks accept name variations but not mismatched names. Some accept both.
Old 05-30-2014

Longevity: 58%

The key is that Paypal does NOT SEE the name on the bank account you attach.

So you always make your bank accounts under YOUR legal name, and just make sure the account #s are different from previous ones.

When it comes to "withdrawing" funds into the bank account attached to PP, SOME banks check to make sure the transferring account (paypal) name matches with bank account name (yours). If it doesn't, they reject the transfer.

Most of the bigger banks don't seem to do this though, at least in NYC (Citibank, HSBC, Chase I know for a fact are fine to use).
The Following User Says Thank You to jhillman87 For This Useful Post:
padawan (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ahhh!!! It's all clear now. Thank you very much!