How do you resolve unjustified "item not as described" cases? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-27-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 56%
Default How do you resolve unjustified "item not as described" cases?

Hi. I had a buyer email me before purchase about the product. I answered their question and they purchased said product. I had a mistake with the shipping trying to find the cheapest way to send it since I did not charge enough and the post office held the package until the remaining postage could be paid.

Buyer emailed me about this and also told me that what I said about the item in their original email was dishonest. I told the buyer I would refund the extra postage and spoke with the customer service of the brand to confirm that question about the item. I was not dishonest and had proof. Buyer decided to return the item for a refund, I told buyer I would not pay return shipping because there was nothing wrong with the item and it was against my policy to return but I had made an exception.

Buyer decides to return item anyway and did not have enough postage. I sent the buyer a picture of the reception for their wrong postage and took that out of their refund. I also only refunded for the cost of the item and not the original shipping because they had changed their mind and there wasn't anything wrong with the item.

Buyer has now opened an "item not as described"case against me asking for the original shipping, cost of item and return shipping. I have been responding to the messages, generally repeating everything I have already said in past emails. I do not feel this case is justified because the item was as described and the buyer just decided they didn't want it anymore.

Is there anything else I can do in this situation? I have refused to give shipping refunds because I feel the buyer is abusing the money back guarantee but I do not know what else to do since I just keep repeating myself in these case messages...

Last edited by GreenBean; 06-28-2014 at 06:40 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: How do you resolve unjustified "item not as described" cases?

Next time you post SPACE the sentences to help others read them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
pr0wake (06-30-2014)
Old 06-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEW View Post
Hi.
Is there anything else I can do in this situation? I have refused to give shipping refunds because I feel the buyer is abusing the money back guarantee but I do not know what else to do since I just keep repeating myself in these case messages...
You made an error with shipping costs.

You opened yourself up to the probability of a negative reaction from an over-the-top buyer.

From that moment you should have been sucking so hard.....

Business is not cut and dried. Rather it is cut throat.

Matter needed better handling than you gave it.

At the least , you should have controlled the sale, in all aspects so that buyer never had NEED to go back to ebay/paypal to complain about you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
BigCJ (06-28-2014), jeffweico (07-04-2014)
Old 06-29-2014

Longevity: 64%

GB is correct, need to hone CSR skills to suit your purpose.
Old 06-29-2014
Threadstarter  

I apologized to the buyer for my mistake and refunded them back for it. I also kept communication with them throughout the whole process of trying to resolve the issue. None of this should have been a surprise because it is stated in my return policy. Are you saying that I should have just refunded back all the shipping anyway?

Thanks for your responses!
Old 06-30-2014

Longevity: 58%

Miss the good ole days when sellers can leave negative feedback .These days, many buyer are on a power trip and are quick to leave negative feedback. It gives them a sense of power..ffkk them. Create more sa's
Old 06-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I apologized to the buyer for my mistake and refunded them back for it. I also kept communication with them throughout the whole process of trying to resolve the issue. None of this should have been a surprise because it is stated in my return policy. Are you saying that I should have just refunded back all the shipping anyway?

Thanks for your responses!
your refund policy is worth nadda in the eyes of ebay or buyer most of the time.

I have refunded shipping, pulled cheek muscles to keep control of the sale.

Outcome has been return happy customers.

Does that gall me? Absolutely.

I fight until the death.... then haunt the bar stewards later.....

Old 06-30-2014

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Hi. I had a buyer email me before purchase about the product. I answered their question and they purchased said product. I had a mistake with the shipping trying to find the cheapest way to send it since I did not charge enough and the post office held the package until the remaining postage could be paid.

Buyer emailed me about this and also told me that what I said about the item in their original email was dishonest. I told the buyer I would refund the extra postage and spoke with the customer service of the brand to confirm that question about the item. I was not dishonest and had proof. Buyer decided to return the item for a refund, I told buyer I would not pay return shipping because there was nothing wrong with the item and it was against my policy to return but I had made an exception.

Buyer decides to return item anyway and did not have enough postage. I sent the buyer a picture of the reception for their wrong postage and took that out of their refund. I also only refunded for the cost of the item and not the original shipping because they had changed their mind and there wasn't anything wrong with the item.

Buyer has now opened an "item not as described"case against me asking for the original shipping, cost of item and return shipping. I have been responding to the messages, generally repeating everything I have already said in past emails. I do not feel this case is justified because the item was as described and the buyer just decided they didn't want it anymore.

Give the buyer what they want....She might report you and they are reading what you say in the resulution cases...Please don't call...even for raising limits..ebay is out to skrew the seller...Something similiar happened to me, I think the b--- reported me, and got my limits reduced to 60...after speaking so someone in Trust and Safety I got the boot
Old 07-01-2014
Threadstarter  

I decided to refund the buyer for the original shipping and buyer still escalated the case…? I had already refunded them for the mis-postage and then for the original cost of the shoes minus their own mis-postage when they returned the item before the case was opened. The buyer stated they wanted a full refund and listed the refund as the cost of the shoes and the return shipping so now I can't refund them without giving them more money because I had already refunded them…this is such a mess. Is there any chance ebay will see some sense in this and not make me pay the buyer way more since I already refunded?
Old 07-03-2014

Longevity: 61%

Quote:

I'm sorry but give them what they want. It just takes one report seller for feebay to really look at you. Or take a chance and let them leave the negative /neutral feedback and reply by saying you "do not pay return shipping ever" so other potential con buyers can see that and know you will not tolerate it and avoid pulling their stunts on you...List that in your auctions

Also, I noticed the buyers who start asking a questions before auction ends or the ones who want their item by a certain date are the most difficult, push and ones who will leave you negative feedback. If you get a really chatty buyer, asking questions before auction ends ban them. They are the least satisfied and you can't win or compromise with them.

Last edited by BigMama; 07-03-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2014

Longevity: 76%

If you already refunded them from the escalated case it should have closed the case automatically. Ive never put the refund through and still they were able to escalate it I would assume that the representative would see that the refund was issued, but weirder things have happened. Hope it all works out
Old 07-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

When all is said and done, the buyer should not be out any money. The bottom line is, you screwed up on the shipping and the buyer also felt that you answered a question about the product dishonestly. In order to keep the account and avoid scrutiny, the buyer should have received a full refund, including reasonable return shipping costs, upon return of the item.

Sometimes, there are disagreements about the way an item was described. That does not necessarily mean that anybody was being dishonest, it is usually a miscommunication. As a seller, you have to take care of these issues because eBay - out of all the possible problems a seller can have - considers mis-described items to be the biggest issue.

As a businessperson, when a sale goes south, it is no longer about making a profit on that particular sale, the issue becomes damage control. You want to satisfy the buyer and take the smallest possible hit to your account. By fighting over a few bucks, you are damaging your account.
Old 07-20-2014

Longevity: 58%

Alot of buyers DO NOT READ the description. People buy on impulse. It's so easy for buyers to file a "INAD" case. Some buyers think everything on egay is brand new. My items are used, and i clearly state that. I even state that "if you don't know what you're buying, then don't buy my product".."if you are not willing to learn and educate yourself on my product, then don't buy it"

Buyers CAN'T READ. They buy it, and then complain that it doesn't suit their needs. Even though the product works as it should, buyers get angry that they can't figure out how it works. As a seller i get screwed for the irresponsibility of the buyer, their negligence, their ignorance because they failed to read the description and educate themselves. It's now my fault. Certain buyers want you to hold their hand and spoon feed them

I do get buyers who do understand what they're buying, but for every one that does, there are 2 that don't understand. They are the ones who fail to read the description. I no longer describe my product, because buyers will use the " the description said this, but it's not" tactic. whatever you say on your listing will be used against you in your feedback, so be careful what you say. I basically tell them accurately what they're getting, and if they don't know what it is, don't buy it. I don't go into detail describing every detail about it.
I say to ask questions, but many buyers don't, and it's my fault because they didn't ask any questions

The society of instant gratification is what we live in. The ME attitude

this is why you need a crap load of SA's, always cycling them, losing them, and having others ready to take their place

I have actually won 5 "INAD" cases. It really helps the seller, when the buyer fails to read the description.

I sell HIGH RISK electronics, so imagine how easy it is for a buyer to get angry and file a INAD
Old 07-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Refund and spend more time on the next sale...

I cant count how many time I felt as though I was in the right, however just refunded and moved on... Then see that positive feedback reminds me why I do it...

The question is.... Is that shipping cost worth negative feedback? When its all said and done would you pay that amount to have feedback removed?
Old 07-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

I always kiss butt and try to move the world when a customer is unhappy