eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/80041-anything-happen-my-ebay-accounts-when-i-get-new-laptop.html)

pokerpro 11-26-2014 09:16 PM

Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop?

So, I have abused my laptop for 5 years now, and I'm going to HAVE to get a new one in the next 30 days.......The guys at Apple tell me my extra 30 user accounts will not transfer from my old laptop to the new one....

So, that means that they will have no ebay cookies and they will have a new "address"........

This sounds like a big problem waiting to happen??? I have no tech savy at all........so, I'm asking all the "tech nerds".....is this as big of a problem as I think, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance!

Dmshark25 11-26-2014 09:48 PM

Re: Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop?

It won't be a problem, just don't make any big withdrawals or anything at first.

Transfer over and build browsing history for a few days on each stealth if you can

Just don't transfer over and your first move put up 50 listings in eBay and withdrawal $1000 in PayPal

Log in your eBay/PayPal a few times throughout 3-4 days and just browse , this would be ideal

jeffweico 11-26-2014 10:52 PM

With 30 accounts, I would see if I could get an IT expert to figure it out. But maybe there is nothing that can be done. I wouldn't just trust those guys at the Apple store, though. They are great for the basic stuff, but anything advanced can throw them, at least in my experience.

pokerpro 11-26-2014 11:01 PM

OK...I'll see what i can find out........thanks both of you! Maybe, I'll just do 2 at a time and after 2 weeks, do 2 more and slowly wade in the ebay waters.......

bjammin 11-26-2014 11:06 PM

I am probably less tech savvy than you pokerpro, but some ppl have talked about cookie stuffing on here. Might be somethign to look into.

Salvo 11-27-2014 07:55 PM

Since it seems you have a mac, look here to clone the hard drive.
http://www.imore.com/how-easily-clon...on-copy-cloner

Look near the bottom using Carbon Copy Cloner, very easy.

Copies all settings, cookies, passwords, accounts, whatever. Its an exact clone.

BigCJ 11-27-2014 08:44 PM

What about backing up the HDD image and just transferring it to the new comp?

It would save the cookies and such, wouldn't it?

Correct me please if I am wrong, I was planning on doing the exact same thing but with my win 7 lt

MOONCRICKET 11-27-2014 10:49 PM

OP, let me ask WHY you are getting the new laptop. That would help us answer your question. Did your previous laptop stop working?

sujjal 11-28-2014 01:39 AM

The best thing you can do is as per my knowledge as i have been using mac only, you should upgrade your OS rather than purchasing a new one or upgrade the hardware of current one. It will save a lot of money and still your current Mac will transform into like brand new but make sure you turn on time machine and save all your data before doing this. It will not delete anything but will enhance your machine.

And if you are considering to purchase a new one than i suggest you to upgrade to latest OS and turn on iCloud and take back up of your browser history and cookies to iCloud drive. By doing this, you will get everything as it is in your new mac by signing in with your apple account.

Please let us know more about your decision and your ebay so that i can answer in better way.

GreenBean 11-28-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerpro (Post 612866)
So, I have abused my laptop for 5 years now, and I'm going to HAVE to get a new one in the next 30 days.......The guys at Apple tell me my extra 30 user accounts will not transfer from my old laptop to the new one....

So, that means that they will have no ebay cookies and they will have a new "address"........

This sounds like a big problem waiting to happen??? I have no tech savy at all........so, I'm asking all the "tech nerds".....is this as big of a problem as I think, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance!

At the Genius Bar? They told you that? Or was it by a phone call?

:faint:

john007 11-28-2014 04:06 AM

Since everything is done on a browser level, I would assume that if you backup the folder where cookies are kept and carry it over to the new computer, everything would be all well.

vogeltron 11-28-2014 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerpro (Post 612900)
OK...I'll see what i can find out........thanks both of you! Maybe, I'll just do 2 at a time and after 2 weeks, do 2 more and slowly wade in the ebay waters.......

If you keep the same program that has worked for you before you should be ok. Like you have mentioned though I would do it slowly over time. Also don't do anything crazy like other members said when you start using a new computer. Take it slow and the transition should be fine. I don't have 30 stealth's. Only about 10. But I had to do a similar thing in the past year or so with an old laptop that died. Knock on wood but everything has been fine thus far.

Salvo 11-28-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 613203)
What about backing up the HDD image and just transferring it to the new comp?

It would save the cookies and such, wouldn't it?

Correct me please if I am wrong, I was planning on doing the exact same thing but with my win 7 lt

Yes you are correct.

For windows 7/8/8.1 I recommend Paragon Backup and Restore
Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Overview

It's very simple to use. Hook up new hard drive via USB, run program, everything from main hard drive is copied to USB one, replace/install new hard drive. Thats it! Nothing else to backup or transfer over, it makes a 1:1 copy of everything.

rsot 11-28-2014 11:40 AM

Slowly ease the account back in - browse, bid, sell - or look up how to transfer the entire information from the other drive.

pokerpro 11-28-2014 12:40 PM

Greenbean.......that was at the "bar" in person they told me that.......and maybe I wasn't clear on something so let me add it..........

The apple guys told me everything on my MAIN user account would transfer over....but the additional user accounts, whether it be 2 or the 30 I have, will not transfer....

So, it's all those stealth accounts that are my concern. I have bought the new macbook pro and moved one stealth account to it...I'm going to browse for a week, then list one item on it and see what happens....

I had to laugh out loud.....I'm not even remotely capable of doing all that "backing up, transferring " type of stuff some of you have mentioned....no matter how easy it is to you, it is way over my head.

GreenBean 11-29-2014 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerpro (Post 613398)
I had to laugh out loud.....I'm not even remotely capable of doing all that "backing up, transferring " type of stuff some of you have mentioned....no matter how easy it is to you, it is way over my head.

Let me check this for you with our Apple bar.

It differs from what I got told.

:ballchain:

plumsake2 11-29-2014 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john007 (Post 613267)
Since everything is done on a browser level, I would assume that if you backup the folder where cookies are kept and carry it over to the new computer, everything would be all well.

Yeah that's an option as well.

I don't know what browser you use, but at least for Chrome and Firefox, it's a quick process to copy the cookies and/or the entire profile folder from the normal browser to its portable browser counterpart.

Back when I started stealth I created accounts on normal browsers and since then I only use portable ones for this exact reason - having to move computers.

Moving my older stealths from normal browsers was a painless process: find where the cookies and profile data is stored, download the portable browser, copy the old profile data into the portable browser's folder, copy the portable browser folder to a USB stick, and then copy it to your new computer.

I'm sure it would be similar for any browser even if it doesn't have a portable version. You would just have to copy the cookies folder to the USB stick directly, then paste it and overright the folder on your new laptop.