Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-26-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop?

So, I have abused my laptop for 5 years now, and I'm going to HAVE to get a new one in the next 30 days.......The guys at Apple tell me my extra 30 user accounts will not transfer from my old laptop to the new one....

So, that means that they will have no ebay cookies and they will have a new "address"........

This sounds like a big problem waiting to happen??? I have no tech savy at all........so, I'm asking all the "tech nerds".....is this as big of a problem as I think, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-26-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: Anything happen to my ebay accounts when I get a new Laptop?

It won't be a problem, just don't make any big withdrawals or anything at first.

Transfer over and build browsing history for a few days on each stealth if you can

Just don't transfer over and your first move put up 50 listings in eBay and withdrawal $1000 in PayPal

Log in your eBay/PayPal a few times throughout 3-4 days and just browse , this would be ideal
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
pokerpro (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

With 30 accounts, I would see if I could get an IT expert to figure it out. But maybe there is nothing that can be done. I wouldn't just trust those guys at the Apple store, though. They are great for the basic stuff, but anything advanced can throw them, at least in my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
pokerpro (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
Threadstarter  

OK...I'll see what i can find out........thanks both of you! Maybe, I'll just do 2 at a time and after 2 weeks, do 2 more and slowly wade in the ebay waters.......
Old 11-26-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

I am probably less tech savvy than you pokerpro, but some ppl have talked about cookie stuffing on here. Might be somethign to look into.
Old 11-27-2014

Longevity: 58%

Since it seems you have a mac, look here to clone the hard drive.
http://www.imore.com/how-easily-clon...on-copy-cloner

Look near the bottom using Carbon Copy Cloner, very easy.

Copies all settings, cookies, passwords, accounts, whatever. Its an exact clone.

Last edited by Salvo; 11-27-2014 at 07:58 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Salvo For This Useful Post:
BigCJ (11-27-2014), jeffweico (11-27-2014), yankee (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

What about backing up the HDD image and just transferring it to the new comp?

It would save the cookies and such, wouldn't it?

Correct me please if I am wrong, I was planning on doing the exact same thing but with my win 7 lt
Old 11-27-2014

Longevity: 91%

OP, let me ask WHY you are getting the new laptop. That would help us answer your question. Did your previous laptop stop working?
Old 11-28-2014

Longevity: 54%

The best thing you can do is as per my knowledge as i have been using mac only, you should upgrade your OS rather than purchasing a new one or upgrade the hardware of current one. It will save a lot of money and still your current Mac will transform into like brand new but make sure you turn on time machine and save all your data before doing this. It will not delete anything but will enhance your machine.

And if you are considering to purchase a new one than i suggest you to upgrade to latest OS and turn on iCloud and take back up of your browser history and cookies to iCloud drive. By doing this, you will get everything as it is in your new mac by signing in with your apple account.

Please let us know more about your decision and your ebay so that i can answer in better way.
Old 11-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpro View Post
So, I have abused my laptop for 5 years now, and I'm going to HAVE to get a new one in the next 30 days.......The guys at Apple tell me my extra 30 user accounts will not transfer from my old laptop to the new one....

So, that means that they will have no ebay cookies and they will have a new "address"........

This sounds like a big problem waiting to happen??? I have no tech savy at all........so, I'm asking all the "tech nerds".....is this as big of a problem as I think, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance!
At the Genius Bar? They told you that? Or was it by a phone call?

Old 11-28-2014

Longevity: 54%

Since everything is done on a browser level, I would assume that if you backup the folder where cookies are kept and carry it over to the new computer, everything would be all well.
Old 11-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
OK...I'll see what i can find out........thanks both of you! Maybe, I'll just do 2 at a time and after 2 weeks, do 2 more and slowly wade in the ebay waters.......
If you keep the same program that has worked for you before you should be ok. Like you have mentioned though I would do it slowly over time. Also don't do anything crazy like other members said when you start using a new computer. Take it slow and the transition should be fine. I don't have 30 stealth's. Only about 10. But I had to do a similar thing in the past year or so with an old laptop that died. Knock on wood but everything has been fine thus far.
Old 11-28-2014

Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCJ View Post
What about backing up the HDD image and just transferring it to the new comp?

It would save the cookies and such, wouldn't it?

Correct me please if I am wrong, I was planning on doing the exact same thing but with my win 7 lt
Yes you are correct.

For windows 7/8/8.1 I recommend Paragon Backup and Restore
Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Overview

It's very simple to use. Hook up new hard drive via USB, run program, everything from main hard drive is copied to USB one, replace/install new hard drive. Thats it! Nothing else to backup or transfer over, it makes a 1:1 copy of everything.
Old 11-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Slowly ease the account back in - browse, bid, sell - or look up how to transfer the entire information from the other drive.
Old 11-28-2014
Threadstarter  

Greenbean.......that was at the "bar" in person they told me that.......and maybe I wasn't clear on something so let me add it..........

The apple guys told me everything on my MAIN user account would transfer over....but the additional user accounts, whether it be 2 or the 30 I have, will not transfer....

So, it's all those stealth accounts that are my concern. I have bought the new macbook pro and moved one stealth account to it...I'm going to browse for a week, then list one item on it and see what happens....

I had to laugh out loud.....I'm not even remotely capable of doing all that "backing up, transferring " type of stuff some of you have mentioned....no matter how easy it is to you, it is way over my head.
Old 11-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
I had to laugh out loud.....I'm not even remotely capable of doing all that "backing up, transferring " type of stuff some of you have mentioned....no matter how easy it is to you, it is way over my head.
Let me check this for you with our Apple bar.

It differs from what I got told.

Old 11-29-2014

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by john007 View Post
Since everything is done on a browser level, I would assume that if you backup the folder where cookies are kept and carry it over to the new computer, everything would be all well.
Yeah that's an option as well.

I don't know what browser you use, but at least for Chrome and Firefox, it's a quick process to copy the cookies and/or the entire profile folder from the normal browser to its portable browser counterpart.

Back when I started stealth I created accounts on normal browsers and since then I only use portable ones for this exact reason - having to move computers.

Moving my older stealths from normal browsers was a painless process: find where the cookies and profile data is stored, download the portable browser, copy the old profile data into the portable browser's folder, copy the portable browser folder to a USB stick, and then copy it to your new computer.

I'm sure it would be similar for any browser even if it doesn't have a portable version. You would just have to copy the cookies folder to the USB stick directly, then paste it and overright the folder on your new laptop.

Last edited by plumsake2; 11-29-2014 at 05:09 AM.