When are your days off? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: When are your days off?

If I didn't have a family I would be online super crazy.... they keep me in check often... I love my family life and the life this place has given me.... Its sad that much of my profit goes to medical (brain cancer)... But I truly think I would be dead by now if it was not for all you guys.... I love you all!

God Bless!
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), aspkin (01-01-2015), jeffweico (12-28-2014), Kristy (12-28-2014), livelifewild (12-31-2014), RosieTosie (01-01-2015), rsot (12-28-2014), vogeltron (12-30-2014), yankee (12-28-2014)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

I don't know anything about your situation, of course. And I want to say in advance, I mean no offense in any way because I know everyone has different beliefs and I totally respect that.

I think maybe that there is a REASON you got into this and it gave you the ability to profit. I believe that many things - and I don't know HOW - happen for a reason. Some people would call it God, others would call it fate, kismet or even the force. But it seems that the universe might be looking out for you somehow. I know it might sound corny, but I have had things happen in my life that I cannot explain. And honestly, I don't know if God exists or not. But I believe there is SOMETHING out there that we probably will never understand. Or at least we won't understand it in my lifetime.

Best of luck to you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), Geegee83 (12-29-2014), krose1162 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 55%

It's a trade off between being your own boss but working a lot more than in a standard job and it interferes with your personal life a lot more.

But it depends on what your goals are, we know that if we sell more, (work more hours) we will have more money, but it might take away from your happiness so you have to find a balance.

Now on the practical side of things, you need to automate as much as you can like Jeff says. From emails to shipping to listing etc. Many things we do are repetitive so you need to be as efficient as possible in each area, once that is done it's even easier to deligate or hire since you will know how much time each area takes on average.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trosky For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), aking (01-09-2015), aspkin (01-01-2015), vogeltron (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosky View Post
It's a trade off between being your own boss but working a lot more than in a standard job and it interferes with your personal life a lot more.

But it depends on what your goals are, we know that if we sell more, (work more hours) we will have more money, but it might take away from your happiness so you have to find a balance.

Now on the practical side of things, you need to automate as much as you can like Jeff says. From emails to shipping to listing etc. Many things we do are repetitive so you need to be as efficient as possible in each area, once that is done it's even easier to deligate or hire since you will know how much time each area takes on average.
Exactly!

Its about being the most efficient as possible. It comes with time obviously. Some of the things I did early on wasted to much time but I didn't know any better. From listing to taking pictures to managing all stealths (if you have alot) takes time to learn. We all sell different items so its hard to have a universal approach.

Just for the record that easy adjustment on not waking up and going straight to eBay really does help! I don't answer emails, or work on eBay until I shower and eat...haha. Might sound silly to some but I have a laptop so I wake up and can start working in bed, can't do that though.

Its all about the balance, working more does make more money but obviously if your making money, your most likely doing it for a particular reason right?

(I finally got over the hump where limits aren't affecting me anymore. I have back up accounts, and now can make more stronger back ups without any "need" to have them but obviously its good to have them just in case. )

Last edited by solefoodbk; 12-29-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 74%

Wow I really enjoyed this thread and all the responses.

For me its like I see a few others say, I work 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
I am always thinking about it lol.

Occasionally if I absolutely am wiped out I will give myself one day off...usually winds up with me still checking and seeing if there is anything important.

I have all my stealth accounts emails forwarded to one main email so I do not have to log onto multiple emails to check.

I do usually go on vacation with family for 5-8 days what I do is go on all accounts about 2 days before I leave. Make sure everything is good and taken care of. Then I take all buy it nows down and list AUCTIONS only for 7-10 day listings. Then I set my email to answer all emails with I am out of town will answer when I get home type thing.

That way I am technically still selling while I am on vacation, it breaks my heart thinking about the sales I miss out on but its still better then what I used to do which is either not sell anything OR I take the laptop and the mifis with me and actually WORK on my vacation...actually that is exactly how I always did it. Just this past vacation did I not work!

We ebayers are a little obsessed with sales!
Old 12-29-2014

Longevity: 61%

I hate "days off".. it's like I've lost a limb haha.

My days are as follows;

8am -Get up and shower.

8:30 - At my desk sorting the emails out

9am > 5pm - Making & packing orders, answering emails as they come in etc.

Postal collection from my house at 5:10pm

5pm > 7pm - Design new products in Corel Draw / Photoshop etc.. browse the news, cook dinner, chat to boyfriend etc..

7pm > 8pm - eat dinner, digest, read iPad, chat.

8pm > 12/1/2am - Design and list new items, first on eBay and then copy and paste info across to Amazon, then website.

I get between 20-40 new items on each evening, the more I get on the happier I am.

I get a sense of achievement and success running my business, it's nearly been going 4yrs now and it works out so well for me in a lot of ways. I get bored easily, but with my work, if I'm bored, I pick up the laptop and do some work! Perfect, although this may not suit everyone.

I'm an introvert by nature, and really get tired of people (looking at you dear sister!), telling me to "put the laptop down and get a life", go out and do something" etc etc... "there's more to life than work".... Shuuuuuttttt uppppppppp.... No matter how many time's I say "but I love my job", "I enjoy designing new products"... yada yada yada.. I still get the same replies... No, I do not feel better for going for a walk, or getting p1ssed and puking up in the street.. My job makes me happy! My boyfriend is fine with is and is usually asleep my 9pm as he starts work early, and I'm in the living room in the evenings, so I still watch TV.

Disclaimer: This year I went to 3 NFL games (I'm in the UK), 3 high profile comedy shows, 2 rock concerts, holiday for a week in the forest with a hot tub, been cinema a gazillion time etc.. but because I work hard I'm deemed to be "sad" to some.

Find what works for you and screw what others think.

I have family staying for 3 days this week and won't be able to work much, my nervous twitch and stress levels are high :D

Last edited by Geegee83; 12-29-2014 at 08:00 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Geegee83 For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), aspkin (01-01-2015), Klemantina (12-30-2014), RosieTosie (01-01-2015), solefoodbk (12-29-2014), sugarlaces (01-02-2015), trosky (12-29-2014), vogeltron (12-30-2014), yankee (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

wow GeeGee83 Impressive!
I have one question though. What happens when you get sick? Or tired? Or old? Or a day just comes that you say, "Screw it! I don't want to do this anymore!" ?!? Happened to me.

My only suggest for all of you is HIRE. All sorts of ways to hire. I prefer reverse hiring and paying on performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (12-30-2014), Klemantina (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 58%

I think the only "true" way for me to feel like I'm on a vacation is to end up buying a seperate phone that is strictly business, and leave town and go somewhere like hawaii...haha. Like most people, if I'm near my laptop, (always have my phone) ..I'm constantly connected to my business. Its great it really is, but its also a negative sometimes. Like geegee said, a day off does feel like "a lost limb". The more I list the happier I am to. Self motivation is really the only way we ebayers thrive in the market anyways, without it we stand no chance again our competitors (if you have any, most likely you have some sort of competition).

Its also super rewarding to know your own hard work pays off on your bottom line, nobody else (besides paying fees). When working for a corporation your making money from the company generally speaking. I love the feeling that my hard work pays off while I'm sleeping

Waking up to sales is seriously one the best feelings to have! Making money while sleeping, can't get much better than that!

Last edited by solefoodbk; 12-29-2014 at 10:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
trosky (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

At the end of the day, you simply have to find a system that works for YOU. Because what works for one of us may not work for another.

But if you are going to be in business - ANY business - you have to have some self-discipline. Because there will be days when you DON'T feel like working. And the damage that is done and the money you lose will come directly out of your pocket.

Again, coming up with something that is ENJOYABLE is, IMHO the best way to approach it. Not that you are going to enjoy EVERYTHING 100%, but the more you enjoy your job, the happier you will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (12-30-2014), trosky (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

eBay and selling online is pretty much non stop. Even if you think you can take time off you still have to answer questions ans deal with buyers. I started over 10 years ago now when I was 16. I haven't taken a real vacation one time. I am lucky if I can take a 3-4 day extended weekend. It comes with the territory.

I sacrifice that aspect but it allows me to go the gym for an hour at noon and do things other people can't. Granted I have to make sure order get filled, list new items. Look for new inventory etc. Over the past 10-11 years I have had really good years. I have had a few years I wanted to seriously quit. I have stayed the course. Knock on wood it has worked out thus far.

I take off Sunday mornings to go Church. I still package and try to drop things off in the evening. I am big on the 24 hour drop boxes for USPS where they have them. Part time or full time eBay is usually ends up becoming a lifestyle. Especially if you have large number of items listed.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
wow GeeGee83 Impressive!
I have one question though. What happens when you get sick? Or tired? Or old? Or a day just comes that you say, "Screw it! I don't want to do this anymore!" ?!? Happened to me.

My only suggest for all of you is HIRE. All sorts of ways to hire. I prefer reverse hiring and paying on performance.
If I'm tired I have a nap, or sleep in one day.. I do try to take Sundays off, but that usually means designing new stuff.. I honestly don't see any difference from doing that and playing Call of Duty or something, I do feel better for it.

Sickness - Yeh, well a cold I can work through, I get vertigo now and then too which is a real pain, but I just then go into survival mode and do the bare minimum of just the orders, no new designs. Real illness, and old age isn't something that's a problem right now, and I'm working this hard to hopefully be able to afford to employ staff in the future. I don't want to work like this forever, but I keep thinking just to keep going for now, and build up a bit of money for the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geegee83 For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), vogeltron (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
yankee (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geegee83 View Post
If I'm tired I have a nap, or sleep in one day.. I do try to take Sundays off, but that usually means designing new stuff.. I honestly don't see any difference from doing that and playing Call of Duty or something, I do feel better for it.
It seriously happens. I do sleep in some days eBay and online sales will wear you out. I don't play video games I go for long jogs to get away from it. None the less it is important. As much as I enjoy this all I do know it may not last forever. I also understand money is not everything. However, as long as I can sell on eBay & online and be my own boss. I will definitely keep on this path.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), aspkin (01-09-2015), Geegee83 (12-30-2014), oompaloompa (01-02-2015)
Old 12-30-2014

Yes, I agree, you can't work flat out forever.. hopefully I'm just at that pivotal point where all this hard work will mean hiring people and then I can relax a little more.

I've got a long term plan for when I have kids, as I won't be able to keep this pace up then, especially being female and having to actually "have" them lol.

I think of my business 2-3 yrs ahead of time, and try to aim for that.. 2 staff members hopefully and a huge log cabin garden office haha..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geegee83 For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (01-04-2015), oompaloompa (01-02-2015), yankee (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Yes, I agree, you can't work flat out forever.. hopefully I'm just at that pivotal point where all this hard work will mean hiring people and then I can relax a little more.

I've got a long term plan for when I have kids, as I won't be able to keep this pace up then, especially being female and having to actually "have" them lol.

I think of my business 2-3 yrs ahead of time, and try to aim for that.. 2 staff members hopefully and a huge log cabin garden office haha..
Best time to hire is Yesterday, lol

The sooner you hire, the sooner you can grow and the faster you reach or exceed your goals. )
Old 01-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

Haha, exact opposite of me. Always thought if I got married and had kids. Putting the wife on eBay/Amazon duty for the most part until further notice. Has worked wonders for friends in similar situations who still needed a boost in income but had to work regular hours.
Old 01-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

The trophy wife vogeltron
Old 01-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
The trophy wife vogeltron
That would be nice. Lol. But in all honesty. My friends who have had kids. Those early years having their wife be at home, having someone who could answer eBay questions and help out in the spare time. Made life a little easier. For most working people if you go from two incomes to one it can become problematic.
Old 01-02-2015

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
One thing I do on the stealth accounts I work with is try to make all my busy work take place on Monday or Tuesday. I try to have all auctions end Sunday night(mostly because it is a great $$$ night) and then everyone is busy shipping a day or two only. It is fact that if you are shipping/servicing, you are not selling or growing your business.
"It is fact that if you are shipping/servicing, you are not selling or growing your business" what does that mean exactly please?
Old 01-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I agree, I have my laptop next to me when I am at home and am on top of processing an order/email immediately and I will sit through a film and so tempting to fiddle with an email and miss the plot...and another downside is you work weekends as it is non-stop.

the best thing is logging in the morning and finding a line of orders made while you slept...feels like you did no work for it.

but when I am out, that is it, do not look at email on my phone, no idea about phone stealth set up, plus you are doing stuff so no time, so have to go out to escape, but I can go out when I want in theory....

I will schedule days off, with an activity with friends/family etc. I also have really good blow-out holidays abroad couple of times a year and couple of city breaks too, you mentioned hawaii - been there!! that I really look forward to and feel like a jet-setter, dress-up and a complete change...

when I am in, cannot leave the damn thing alone.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

I personally take sundays off to spend with my hubbie. Except during Football season. Then I take Saturdays off. I will answer questions once during my days off. I can't ship on either day so it works out great for me. I am not selling a huge volume right now so that is probably why I have so much time. I really want to get my volume up and hope I can complain about being too busy soon! I too go thrifting for items and sometimes will spend 4 hours in a larger store. A great way for me to dump items I know I can't make much online is to Consign. They do all the work for me and I pick up a cheque. I list online first and then if they don't do well for 6 month I consign.
Old 01-04-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnu View Post
I personally take sundays off to spend with my hubbie. Except during Football season. Then I take Saturdays off. I will answer questions once during my days off. I can't ship on either day so it works out great for me. I am not selling a huge volume right now so that is probably why I have so much time. I really want to get my volume up and hope I can complain about being too busy soon! I too go thrifting for items and sometimes will spend 4 hours in a larger store. A great way for me to dump items I know I can't make much online is to Consign. They do all the work for me and I pick up a cheque. I list online first and then if they don't do well for 6 month I consign.
What do you mean 'consign' nearnu?