Preventing eBay Return Requests with a note? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-24-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default Preventing eBay Return Requests with a note?

Does it help to send along a very nicely worded printout requesting the buyer contact you first before they open a dispute if they have any issue with their order? I noticed when I did this I received messages from buyers instead of a dispute filed with Ebay more often then when i did not do this. But I only have maybe 6 instance, 2 without the note and 4 with, to compare.

Once I had a customer contact me to say an item I was selling was not authentic. I apologized with an excuse and told him to keep the item plus I refunded his money. He never opened a dispute and then left me positive feedback. I made 150% of the money back on the next sale.

Does anyone else send a note with every sale to attempt to cut off Ebay disputes and negative feedback?

Last edited by jrandleww; 03-24-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added content
The Following User Says Thank You to jrandleww For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (03-24-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-24-2015

Longevity: 60%
Default re: Preventing eBay Return Requests with a note?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandleww View Post
Does it help to send along a very nicely worded printout requesting the buyer contact you first before they open a dispute if they have any issue with their order? I noticed when I did this I received messages from buyers instead of a dispute filed with Ebay more often then when i did not do this. But I only have maybe 6 instance, 2 without the note and 4 with, to compare.

Once I had a customer contact me to say an item I was selling was not authentic. I apologized with an excuse and told him to keep the item plus I refunded his money. He never opened a dispute and then left me positive feedback. I made 150% of the money back on the next sale.

Does anyone else send a note with every sale to attempt to cut off Ebay disputes and negative feedback?
Ye, absolutely. In fact many other things as well: note inside a package with coupon to market your site(if applicable) or in general to contact you if they have issues and explain why they should contact you instead of opening a case, email feature that follows up to customers about experience/issues, and initial message that is sent out automatically to all orders; it contains tracking, shipment method, item, leaves positive feedback and etc And so far I must say it has been helping a lot
Old 03-24-2015
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Absolutely!

And I have been sending my note with every order. And all the while changing and crafting it during the past year to get it almost Perfect.

This tactic is a necessity since almost all return requests result in a defect.

Until eBay revises their system to make the customer contact us first before initiating a request, I don't see any other way around it.

I may post my finely tuned letter/note in the Subscribers section later this week.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
gosunsplease (03-24-2015), jakobrockz (03-24-2015), RosieTosie (03-26-2015), rsot (03-24-2015), wendychen2000us (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015

Longevity: 73%

Hey, even if it only works 50% of the time, that's a 50% reduction in defects. I print out a sticker on my label printer and use it as a seal to close the product package inside my mailer. That way they HAVE to see it to open the product

Gotta HANDLE it the complaint professionally though, or they'll get REALLY upset.
Old 03-25-2015
Banned

Longevity: 65%

the notes are a must. but I find a lot of the time they still open return cases as well as contacting you which is pretty annoying
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealagreeproceed For This Useful Post:
a311hanna (03-26-2015), RosieTosie (04-01-2015)
Old 03-25-2015
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealagreeproceed View Post
the notes are a must. but I find a lot of the time they still open return cases as well as contacting you which is pretty annoying
Yes, that did seem to happen every once in a while. But I think I have that fixed now as well.

Last month I included another addendum to my note and I haven't had a return request filed since then.

I will share here what I have added: (stapled to the note)

If there is a problem with this transaction, PLEASE Call or Text us first or we will not be able to pay for return shipping. Thanks TGMT² 123-456-7890

The logic here is that the customer will think they will have to pay to ship it back unless they contact us first. And during the contact, I can evaluate the situation and how to proceed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
a311hanna (03-26-2015), dealagreeproceed (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015
Banned

Default Re: Preventing eBay Return Requests with a note?

smart time to revise my note
The Following User Says Thank You to dealagreeproceed For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealagreeproceed View Post
Ah, that is a pain in the tuss.

Have to get their throat ( so to speak) before they get yours.

Using a contact phone number works for us.

Mind, dont be like my brother who put the wrong number on his listings and wondered why he still had cases.

Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Contact phone number and professional e-mail works wonders
Old 03-27-2015

Longevity: 52%

We started doing this about 22 months ago. It has decreased our returns greatly. I think this helps...
"Buying online can be difficult, let our hassle free returns help. We accept all returns within 14 days... even for buyer's remorse!"

The buyer's remorse thing was our greatest help. We had items that I am 100% sure (we sell clothing, hats, belts, socks...) perfect coming back with tears or cut off buttons so buyers could claim an item was damaged and return it. It completely stopped that.

It's worth the effort and ink.
PLUS! A heads up, I have had 2 returns started thru ebay's system that I received NO notification on... just this month. They tell me there is a bug and it is being worked on, but until it's fixed you may not even know when someone initiates a return.
Old 03-31-2015

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 70%

Funny I found this.

I just started doing this and I swear it had a negative affect!

1)guy said he was missing audio cables for headphones. next day he claims he doesnt like them, thinks they are ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and wants a refund. I called BS, said I have invoices direct from the manufactor with serial numbers(I actually do) and if the return does not match I'll contact his police depart....after that all was ok. I sold 30pcs of this item so far and not a single return or issue, until I included a letter!

2)just got a paypal case on an 8$ item for an item not received. Have not gotten one of these in over a year. I just feel like she is trying to get a free item thinking I'll just offer a refund with no questions.

Maybe it was my letter, I dont know LOL! I just find it odd!!
Old 03-31-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
Funny I found this.

1)guy said he was missing audio cables for headphones. next day he claims he doesnt like them, thinks they are ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and wants a refund. I called BS, said I have invoices direct from the manufactor with serial numbers(I actually do) and if the return does not match I'll contact his police depart....after that all was ok. I sold 30pcs of this item so far and not a single return or issue, until I included a letter!

2)just got a paypal case on an 8$ item for an item not received. Have not gotten one of these in over a year. I just feel like she is trying to get a free item thinking I'll just offer a refund with no questions.

Sometimes it's best to just sell and do the best you can and don't send any Letters or notes, for feedback or returns, etc...

EBay buyers can be a handful and you think your adding added customer service with a small note, but in some buyers minds they feel the note is in there because they are being scammed or something crazy

I actually read a thread on eBays forums around 2 years ago and it was a flag about buyers being aware of counterfeit items. And one of the signs that was mentioned to watch out for is the whole message about " we are here to provide top notch Quality service ........." And it ended with "if there is any issues contact us directly first, before opening a case or leaving feedback"

That always stuck in my head, so Subconsciously even though the note may say contact us if any issues and we will resolve it, you are putting Issues, problems, returns in the buyers head and where a problem never existed you now created one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (04-01-2015), RosieTosie (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Sometimes it's best to just sell and do the best you can and don't send any Letters or notes, for feedback or returns, etc...

That always stuck in my head, so Subconsciously even though the note may say contact us if any issues and we will resolve it, you are putting Issues, problems, returns in the buyers head and where a problem never existed you now created one
Agreed.... never feed them more than they need to be feed.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
RosieTosie (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
Funny I found this.

Headphones are a problematic market...so probably best to avoid prompting