Do USPS really check weight on prepaid labels ? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-07-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 54%
Default Do USPS really check weight on prepaid labels ?

Hi, have a question regarding USPS weight checks for example if you put 8oz when it's really9 or 10oz USPS first class ?
Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-08-2015

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Do USPS really check weight on prepaid labels ?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. I have sent so many First Class packages with slight difference of 1-2 OZ and rarely a customer has been overcharged
The Following User Says Thank You to epimetheus039 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

If you print your postage and do this constantly, you will find yourself unable to continue printing postage. The USPS really does not like this and they DO check a certain percentage of packages. It is not something that you want to do to save money. For the small amount saved, you could end up in real trouble.

Having said that, I'm sure everyone makes a mistake now and then. But I wouldn't push it.
Old 10-08-2015

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 58%

Honestly...

I do this sometimes alot, probably shouldn't but its never been a problem.

I've done it with international sales sometimes because the few ounces can cost a decent amount more..

Its not a GOOD thing to do, but you shouldn't have a problem. I think ALOT depends on where you live too. Actually thats a HUGE factor because I live in a very populated area so they most likely don't have time to check.
Old 10-08-2015

Longevity: 60%

Ye, something definitely not to be abused but rather save sometimes especially when the weight is on the edge.
Old 10-08-2015

Longevity: 79%

seems to depend on the postal worker at the drop off location. I was dropping off at one place where a lot of my stuff was getting kicked back. I went in and asked and they said " yeah, it's whats her name in the back. She's so annoying".
Old 10-08-2015

FIRST CLASS they do not check....unless its severely over 13oz. PRIORITY MAIL you bet your ass they check. I was charged an extra $5 one time when a guy sent me a package. He undercut shipping THAT much.
Old 10-08-2015

A few years ago I got a few priority mail flat rate envelope packages returned for insufficient postage. I couldn't get over to the post office during business hours so I just gave them to the mailman and said there's nothing wrong with the postage on these. A couple days later I got the same packages back again. Then I made time to get over the PO and told them about it and they blamed it on the new guy. Not only a major aggravation but people got their orders late. Thankfully they were understanding.

On a somewhat related note I had to return something to an Ebay seller recently. When I've had to do this with any return anywhere before I just packed it up in the same package and marked it return to sender. Never had any problems. But this time they sent it back to me saying I can't do that if the package has been opened. I'm sure that's the rule but it was ignored for so long I figured it would never happen. So I had to pay to ship it back and the cheapest option was Priority and of course I wasn't reimbursed return shipping.

Last edited by joeys; 10-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeys View Post
But this time they sent it back to me saying I can't do that if the package has been opened. I'm sure that's the rule but it was ignored for so long I figured it would never happen. So I had to pay to ship it back and the cheapest option was Priority and of course I was reimbursed return shipping.
Wow I have not seen that happen - you must have a USPS stickler on the end reviewing the returns...
Old 10-08-2015

I think that major determining factor is how populated the city you live in is.

Like I said I live in one of the most populated cities in America so naturally they simply don't have enough time to check weights of every package because there are so many. Ha...

The recieving city I suppose can check but it comes down the the postal clerk. I'm only talking about a few ounces, when its on the border between first class and priority. If you short it on a pound or pound(s) then you may get someone who is bored or in a bad mood that double checks your weight.

Plus, I never display the weight on the package. I know when they scan they can see it, but that's only when they scan it. They're dealing with thousands of pancakes a day, it's nearly impossible for them to judge a couple ounces, at least imho.
Old 10-08-2015

Longevity: 77%

I've had problems with mine not weighing up. And they won't ship them, and will tell me to go print another one.. Even with just a few ounces off.. I agree this isn't a good way to cut corners to save a few bucks..
Old 10-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Wow I have not seen that happen - you must have a USPS stickler on the end reviewing the returns...
I was kind of surprised because I know I'm not the only one who's ever done that. I don't abuse it either since most places I order from provide labels and pay for return postage.
Old 10-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 91%

I know the lady at my local post office checks EVERYTHING. I was over like 1/2 a lb and she charged me like $0.15 cents difference. smh
Old 10-08-2015

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 55%

If my package weigh like 8.7 oz I will put 8 oz if it weigh 8.2 I will put 8. if its 2 lbs and 13 oz I put 2lbs 13 oz. I dont want usps to not shipped the item because you put really wrong weight. Like putting 8 oz when the actual weight is 10 oz.
Old 10-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvin View Post
If my package weigh like 8.7 oz I will put 8 oz if it weigh 8.2 I will put 8. if its 2 lbs and 13 oz I put 2lbs 13 oz. I dont want usps to not shipped the item because you put really wrong weight. Like putting 8 oz when the actual weight is 10 oz.
Well then you shouldn't be rounding DOWN when its 8.7.

Its all a matter of where you live.

To each is own.
Old 10-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

I have 2 Post Offices that don't check.......I also have 3-4 that check...I avoid those 3-4.
Old 10-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
I think that major determining factor is how populated the city you live in is.
I agree or how big the post office is. I live in a decent size city but there are a few small post offices that I use to drop off. One time they complied about the Zip Code that it was being sent from on the Label being a city over on a Flat Rate Box. Completely ridiculous.

I completely agree the larger the city and area the less likely you are going to run into a problem. On the sending side I use to ship items that were like 14 ozs first class mail and had them charge the customer twice on receiving end like $6 something ridiculous. After that I decided to just play by the rules.
Old 10-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
I agree or how big the post office is. I live in a decent size city but there are a few small post offices that I use to drop off. One time they complied about the Zip Code that it was being sent from on the Label being a city over on a Flat Rate Box. Completely ridiculous.

I completely agree the larger the city and area the less likely you are going to run into a problem. On the sending side I use to ship items that were like 14 ozs first class mail and had them charge the customer twice on receiving end like $6 something ridiculous. After that I decided to just play by the rules.
They complain, because then they don't get credit for it unless it's shipped from a zipcode in their jurisdiction
Old 10-11-2015

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post

This is where a post office in the hood comes in handy. These employees don't give a funk about all the rules they are supposed too follow. Totally different than 2 miles away where the white guys behind the desk get off being "know it alls". That know it all stickler for the rules sh*t don't fly in the hood. My "inner city" post office will put anything in my po box. Last week they signed for a package that was from UPS and told me I never should have received it being that it was from UPS.

Seriously though sometimes it is good to find someone that just wants to keep the line moving until they can lock the doors at 5pm
The Following User Says Thank You to jrandleww For This Useful Post:
vogeltron (01-08-2016)
Old 10-11-2015
Banned

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandleww View Post
This is where a post office in the hood comes in handy. These employees don't give a funk about all the rules they are supposed too follow. Totally different than 2 miles away where the white guys behind the desk get off being "know it alls". That know it all stickler for the rules sh*t don't fly in the hood. My "inner city" post office will put anything in my po box. Last week they signed for a package that was from UPS and told me I never should have received it being that it was from UPS.

Seriously though sometimes it is good to find someone that just wants to keep the line moving until they can lock the doors at 5pm
this is spot on my guy...
Old 10-12-2015

I just use drop boxes
Old 10-12-2015

Longevity: 49%

So so true. Learn the post offices. 1 is good, the other is a bunch of dlckheads who return items for literally being 3 ounces over. They dont care, they put it on the scale and said more money plus the postage for returning it. The other place didnt care. I was 1 lb over on a lot of items and they made it.