ebay contradicts itself yet again, ie requesting proof of counterfeit - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default ebay contradicts itself yet again, ie requesting proof of counterfeit

A while back, on one of my stealth seller accounts, I had an idiot buy a server software that was promotional and marked as such (didn't hide a thing). Typical escalation occurred with buyer receiving item, trying to use it, and when he was too dumb to install it, opened a case screaming that regular Microsoft customer support told him it was "not a full retail product". He said all kinds of stuff in the case, including threatening me etc, and the item was not a "genuine full retail product". Yes, there was a workaround I got straight from their server support group, but this dude is a real dumbass. I got a eBay rep to escalate the case with requesting proof from the buyer that the item was not genuine. At this point, I think I'm horky dorky.

Then, the case gets closed in the buyer's favor. I rage and call eBay and talk to supervisors, all of whom explain to me that it is not eBay's policy to request proof that an item is counterfeit before requiring it to be sent back to the seller. They didn't budge from this position and I got my genuine, full version product back, albeit in used condition, banged up and with a refund funded out of my pocket. Luckily, no feedback.

Fast forward to this week. I buy a software item off eBay, not something I expected to be counterfeit since it's a low volume Adobe product. I get it and it's counterfeit. Open a case, since these days I pretty much assume they knew it was phake and were trying to make a quick buck. Escalate the case after no response from seller. eBay replies back saying they need me to prove it's counterfeit. What the hell? I call in and talk to a rep and explain that it's not their policy to request proof. No budging. I provide pictures of the item, as they requested, compared to a official Adobe site with photos of real and phake items. Not good enough, says eBay. We need a letter from law enforcement, third party expert, or the manufacturer.

I email the manufacturer and wait to hear back. Meanwhile, looks like the seller got cold feet and refunded me themselves. Case closed. Talk about one side of eBay's mouth not knowing what the other side is saying!
The Following User Says Thank You to ovidiu For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (12-13-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-13-2015

Longevity: 62%
Default Re: ebay contradicts itself yet again, ie requesting proof of counterfeit

thats mad,it's luck of the draw really
Old 12-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 76%
Default Re: ebay contradicts itself yet again, ie requesting proof of counterfeit

Can't believe they would actually protect a count/erf/eit seller like that. No wonder there's so many ill.egal products being traff.icked on EB.
Old 12-14-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I don't think they were protecting this particular seller, it was just some nobody. So just another one of those contradicting themselves occasions. On the counterfeit problem, yes there are so many on there right now, and reporting does no good, even if it's an obvious burned disc. Sometimes they will remove listings with promises to email or ftp the software to the buyer. They really only remove reliably if a vero member pulls the listing. And software vero members don't actually care about the Chinese phakes, they only harass people selling oem or academic stuff. That is to say, legitimate software items that do not violate their copyright and pose no real threat to their income stream.

Last edited by ovidiu; 12-14-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2015

Activity: 37%
Longevity: 57%

They do this alot and it pisses me off.

Especially when I call in and have to wait 30+ minutes just to get a rep tell me something I KNOW is not true. At least....if it's worked for me once, I assume it will work again. Obviously a false assumption
The Following User Says Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
ovidiu (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Goes to show you, if one rep says no, another will say yes....and vice versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

The worst part is, it all means nothing! It becomes more obvious to me as I talk to eBay more that the first line reps are often barely competent to run a grocery checkout line, much less customer service of this kind. They just make stuff up. It's a total crapshoot as to what will happen once it reaches the fabled "escalations department".

I had another return case where the rep promised they were escalating the case RIGHT THEN (looked like an easy win for me because idiot buyer who didn't read anything, including most of the title). Guess what? 4 days later and the case has STILL not been escalated.
Old 12-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Aw, the memories of Safe Harbor!

The cheek of saying their changes are progress

Dust of a boy cow!

Old 12-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
I had a negative where they said

"buyer stated it was excellent condition it was not"

I know I wasted my time but I wanted to see if I could get it overturned...

Took about 10-15 reps but I did get a once impossible negative I thought overturned in my favor with proper wording.

ovidiu (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post

The worst part is, it all means nothing! It becomes more obvious to me as I talk to eBay more that the first line reps are often barely competent to run a grocery checkout line, much less customer service of this kind.
I feel the same way about the supervisors.

Now the actual MANAGERS are a different story but "supervisors" are just glorified normal employees with barely any authority. They have NO authority when its comes to serious matters which makes it almost POINTLESS to call in when 99% they tell you they are the highest in command.

Which in honesty on both the ebay and paypal side is laughable. Like what company literally has their highest chain of command a SUPERVISOR for a WORLD WIDE BILLIONAIRE DOLLAR COMPANY.

I hate them, love the money. haha
Old 12-14-2015

Longevity: 80%

all this cr@p is why i prefer to buy from amazon.... no ?s ask return anything u like its laughable
Old 12-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
all this cr@p is why i prefer to buy from amazon.... no ?s ask return anything u like its laughable
I'm sure the sellers love you.
dealagreeproceed (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Can't really buy to resell on Amazon with software, well, sometimes. I've actually found counterfeits to be prevalent on Amazon as well depending on the particular item, and some of them are good enough that these guys can go on forever without anyone figuring it out (cough, Office 2011 for Mac, cough)

I had one Amazon listing (the official Amazon page for that particular UPC) where Chinese counterfeit sellers changed the listing details (title) to say International Version so they could pass off their counterfeits on it. Took Amazon a while to fix it.