What is the cheapest and fastest way to switch IP's? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 02-09-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default What is the cheapest and fastest way to switch IP's?

I've recently been running about 18 accounts and meticulously tracking each IP that I've been getting each and every time I log in to a new account. Using JamesNorth101's way of highlighting cells in excel and even having a copy saved to a cloud each time I make a change just in case something crazy happens.

The issue arrises when I switch IP's. I used to use 24vc a lot, but that was for like 5 accounts at max. Now that I have 18 and soon will make more, a VPN is just too costly.

Finding a decent MAC that will generate a brand new ip takes time, and then switching the modem and wifi router off then on and waiting a few minutes for each account turns out to take a couple of hours to just go through like 10 accounts.

Is there a speedier way of obtaining a new IP without using a VPN when using 10+ accounts? Is router swapping ideal or would I have to shut off the modem that way as well?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks and happy stealthing
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-09-2016

Longevity: 67%
Default Re: What is the cheapest and fastest way to switch IP's?

If you want to get more technical with the process, I think you can create your own VPN through a VPS, and through that you can buy more IPs for your VPS through your provider(s)... I've heard extra IPs only cost around ~$1 extra monthly.

I don't run enough accounts to justify going & learning this route, so I've just somewhat read about it, but seems like a pretty cost effective way to get a lot of IPs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu For This Useful Post:
talos (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016

Longevity: 48%

I tether through my phone, takes 20 seconds to get a new IP.
The Following User Says Thank You to MakingMoney22 For This Useful Post:
applebaum (02-20-2016)
Old 02-09-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Cell phone tethering works - also look at dongle use - are you in the US OP?
Old 02-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu View Post
If you want to get more technical with the process, I think you can create your own VPN through a VPS, and through that you can buy more IPs for your VPS through your provider(s)... I've heard extra IPs only cost around ~$1 extra monthly.

I don't run enough accounts to justify going & learning this route, so I've just somewhat read about it, but seems like a pretty cost effective way to get a lot of IPs.

Ohhh, why didn't I think of that? Interesting idea. Thanks!

I guess I have to look into how to create my own VPS...? Would I need a specific machine to do so, which I won't mind looking into if I need it, or could just my computer generate these?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by talos View Post
Ohhh, why didn't I think of that? Interesting idea. Thanks!

I guess I have to look into how to create my own VPS...? Would I need a specific machine to do so, which I won't mind looking into if I need it, or could just my computer generate these?

Thanks
I think you can do it with any standard VPS you order online, and probably with any OS as well, but most of the guides I've seen are linux based.

Here's the guide I was looking at when I was thinking about this:
https://vpntips.com/how-to-setup-a-vpn-server/
Old 02-09-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Right now I am using phone tethering with boost mobile and easy tether pro that i bought in the android store for 8 or 9 bucks. you dont need to root the phone to make this work. i get a new ID address within 5 seconds and i dont keep track of any ip address.
The Following User Says Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Hmm...

so I called my ISP, and they had no clue about a VPS and told me to check google for a company that deals with VPS. Somehow I ended up calling godaddy and they just do web hosting and thought my idea sounds expensive or nuts and told me to call back to my ISP and instead of asking about a VPS, ask them about how to get multiple IPs from a device of some sort.

I did that and it turns out that just makes my residential account into a business account. I would get a new modem with up to 29 IPs if I wanted. 13 ips was like 75 bucks a month and they are static.

I'm not sure how well phone tethering would work. Are you guys saying that I just get some kind of cell phone for each account with internet service on it and tether the phone to the computer? It sounds like the internet will be slow compared to an ISP.

Also the guy at godaddy mentioned it might be a DNS I'm looking for. I'm getting confused haha.
Old 02-09-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Here, lets break it down a bit:
1. Phone Tethering: Uses your Phone's Internet to get online via your Computer
- You can tether via USB cable
- You can tether via WIFI Mode
- 2 Ways to change IP, Fastest way to change IP is to put phone in Airplane Mode for a few seconds (10 secs) and Turn off Airplane Mode.

2. Mifi Tethering: Same Principle as Phone Tethering, The device provides Internet to your Computer.
- Can connect to your PC via USB or Wifi Mode
- Getting a New IP, in 99.99% of the time you gotta turn it off/turn it on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
a311hanna (02-26-2016), Dufus (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Here, lets break it down a bit:
1. Phone Tethering: Uses your Phone's Internet to get online via your Computer
- You can tether via USB cable
- You can tether via WIFI Mode
- 2 Ways to change IP, Fastest way to change IP is to put phone in Airplane Mode for a few seconds (10 secs) and Turn off Airplane Mode.

2. Mifi Tethering: Same Principle as Phone Tethering, The device provides Internet to your Computer.
- Can connect to your PC via USB or Wifi Mode
- Getting a New IP, in 99.99% of the time you gotta turn it off/turn it on
How will I know if these IP's are safe to use? Also I'll end up juicing out the data off my phone or whatever service I will end up getting. I'm not sure if it's very economical.

Is a business service from my ISP ideal? Are Static IP's an issue? I don't think so because I believe a VPN service basically provides a Static IP to use, right?
Old 02-09-2016

Yes some VPNs (like 24vc) are static, dedicated IPs that never change... I'd like to believe static IPs are better, eb/pp/ama will see the same IP when you log in and I'd like to say that builds better trust-- but I couldn't say for sure. Either way they are definitely not a problem.
Old 02-10-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
How will I know if these IP's are safe to use?
If you haven't used your Phone or a Mifi....chances are they are safe. No one can guarantee anything of that sort.

Quote:
Also I'll end up juicing out the data off my phone or whatever service I will end up getting. I'm not sure if it's very economical.
Well....I don't know how many accounts you have, how many you plan to use, how much data you have on your phone plan, etc.....so I can't exactly say yes or no....unless you have a 1gb/month data plan then you gonna have issues.

Quote:
Is a business service from my ISP ideal?
Business service? gonna depend on the ISP.

Quote:
Are Static IP's an issue?
Static IP's are only an issue if you log into multiple accounts from the same IP.

Quote:
I don't think so because I believe a VPN service basically provides a static IP to use, right?
Not all VPN's provide static IP, If you get a static IP for each account then your fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
talos (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016

Longevity: 48%

The cheapest solution I found is 5 USD / month / static IP. So your ISP is providing you a good deal for 75 USD / month / 13 static IPs. Plus, it's easier to setup than my solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to meoshisha For This Useful Post:
talos (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yes some VPNs (like 24vc) are static, dedicated IPs that never change... I'd like to believe static IPs are better, eb/pp/ama will see the same IP when you log in and I'd like to say that builds better trust-- but I couldn't say for sure. Either way they are definitely not a problem.
Yeah, I spoke to my ISP and I think I'm going to get the business internet service from them. $80 for a block of 13 ip's and a bit extra if I want more. Up to 29 ip's. Instant access and will replace my current internet which is just one IP being tortured with every disconnect. I'm already paying like $65 for just one IP so it's definitely worth it. Not sure why I was torturing myself these past few months while building all these accounts.

I appreciate all the information especially from you Mitsu as I wouldn't have thought about this on my own. Silly me haha

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Static IP's are only an issue if you log into multiple accounts from the same IP.
Yeah, I clearly wouldn't log into another account with the same IP haha. It's just been a pain in the butt rebooting in hopes of obtaining a new IP or one that was used by the same account before. Otherwise, I have to reboot the whole process over and it happens a lot.

Each morning I have to go through like 10 different accounts, answer messages, print labels, log out. Then log into another account by doing it all over again. If I end up getting a message on the account that I was just in, I have to redo the whole process just to answer a message or print a new label. 24vc was sublime when I first got into stealth as it was just one click and I'm covered, but I realized if I have 15+ accounts, it's just not economical.

I know there's things like Ship Station that covers these things, but I want more manual control and assurance that I won't be linked in any form. You guys should see my excel sheet. It's gotten to a point where it takes a minute to load from just scrolling around haha

Anyways, thanks for your help really!!
Old 02-10-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I know there's things like Ship Station that covers these things, but I want more manual control and assurance that I won't be linked in any form. You guys should see my excel sheet. It's gotten to a point where it takes a minute to load from just scrolling around haha
You don't like to use the shipping labels from ebay?
Old 02-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
You don't like to use the shipping labels from ebay?
Oh no, I do. It's quicker for me to print right from ebay. I'm just saying that Ship Station looks great, but I'm worried about a few quirks it might have in regards to bringing all of my accounts under one login. I'd rather have quick access to everything individually. I need to be able to list items on and off of each account as well and Ship Station doesn't do that. So when I meant manual control, I just meant being able to just log into each thing one by one. 1 new or previously used ip on the same user account, 1 eb/pp, 1 email, etc for each.
Old 02-10-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Be like us and have your VPS with different blocks of numbers.

Yes, have up to 29 as you said. But have them split over different numbers.

Helps in looking like different sellers.
Old 02-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Be like us and have your VPS with different blocks of numbers.

Yes, have up to 29 as you said. But have them split over different numbers.

Helps in looking like different sellers.
When you say different numbers, do you mean have the IP addresses look as different as possible?

If so, I've been running all these accounts by rebooting my single modem over and over and a lot of the times the ip changes by at least 1 digit. Most of the time, it only changes by just 1 digit.

That worries me and I asked about that in a thread about a month ago but no one answered. The stealth guide said it should be fine if it changes by at least 1 digit, but it looks shady to me. What do you think?

Am I able to request that from my ISP to have the IP's be different?
Old 02-10-2016

Chances are your IPs from your ISP will be very similar to each other, and all will be located in the same region... it's not preferable to have that setup but you can't really have it all for cheap.
Old 02-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Chances are your IPs from your ISP will be very similar to each other, and all will be located in the same region... it's not preferable to have that setup but you can't really have it all for cheap.
Many of the veterans say the IP location doesn't matter. As long as it's not being shared it should be ok. I remember clarifying this point to the max when I started stealth over a year ago. Then again who really knows haha. As long as I don't have any account get suspended I should be fine. I don't plan on having anything linked or suspended anyways. Just simple easy selling.
Old 02-10-2016

Yeah I don't think it's big deal... in a perfect setup you would have multiply 'service providers' in different locations, but that's not practical for THIS many accounts.

My current setup is 3 accs as my 'main' accounts, upgrading to business accounts with EINs.. with these I go for dedicated and fresh VPNs, located in the general area of my stealth information.

The rest of the accounts I'm creating/running are 'back ups', if anything should happen to one of my mains I can just swap one of these guys in and start grooming it back to main status. With these I'm currently just using phone tethering.