Intangible Goods? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 02-26-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 47%
Default Intangible Goods?

Is there anyone here that is selling Intagible Goods such as game keys etc on ebay?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-26-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%
Default Re: Intangible Goods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddos View Post
Is there anyone here that is selling Intagible Goods such as game keys etc on ebay?
Whats your real question?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
aspkin (02-29-2016), dealagreeproceed (02-29-2016), SilentHill (02-28-2016)
Old 02-26-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 47%

If there is a way around of not being scammed and get a chargeback on your neck. Since it is hard to proof that something has been shipped to the buyer without a tracking code (since it is digital) it easier to fail a chargeback case on PP. So if someone is having any tips of how to get around this (if its possible)?
Old 02-26-2016
Executive [VIP]

Yes, ship out a tangible good.
Old 02-26-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 91%

You can ship out the code on a piece of paper with tracking.
Upload the tracking and youre good.
Then again you dont live in the US so I dont know if you can do it.
By the way - chargebacks will probably be the least of your worries. Those are very high risk items and ebay is more than likely to shut you down for selling those.
Old 02-27-2016

Longevity: 73%

its very possible but not on a new account you will run into problems.
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The problem with those codes is that, very often, they are not legitimately obtained. So eBay has a serious issue with them. I would call it "High Risk Plus".

The fact is, if you had an eBay account that was years old with lots of positive feedbacks, they would probably let you sell at least SOME codes. But certain codes, like for Microsoft and Adobe are not only going to have eBay breathing down your neck, but also the VERO members. And Adobe is now represented - I am told - by Johnson and Pham.

Johnson and Pham is probably the largest law firm targeting eBay sellers when it comes to counterfeits, or bad codes, or other such things. They sometimes just send warning emails, but they can also be MERCILESS! If one of their undercover buyers purchases something that turns out to be counterfeit, or is otherwise not legitimate, they will most likely file a lawsuit against you. When they first started, they sent a ton of emails but filed only maybe 5 lawsuits a year. So it was pretty safe to ignore them. Now, however, they seem to have their system down pat. They send threatening email to a lot of people they will never sue, but in those cases there were no customs seizures involved and no undercover buyers made any purchases. Those guys are safe. But if you are contacted by them and they indicate that an undercover buyer purchased something, then you are in some serious trouble. Because they will want a large settlement or to take you to court and obtain a judgment against you. They will not just "drop it".

If it is a customs seizure that starts the process, they will go after whomever the items are addressed to. They will have evidence from the US Customs office to use in court against you, meaning a description of the items, the estimated retail value of each item and how many were being shipped to you.

Johnson and Pham files suit in their backyard in California. This is a FEDERAL suit, so they can file in FEDERAL court. And that means, they can sue even if the venue is inconvenient for you. You would be served with the appropriate legal papers, of course, and could hire an attorney to defend yourself. But the fact is, few people hire an out of state attorney to defend them. They either settle it out of court or ignore it. Ignoring it is a mistake, because then J&P will ask the court to enter a default judgment. That means, J&P gets whatever they ask for. They have been winning cases and racking up judgments with some IMPRESSIVE sums of money. In the hundreds of thousands of dollars and even in the millions of dollars. The courts allow it because they have no other choice. The defendants were served with the appropriate papers and chose to not show up. Therefore, the court only hears J&P's side of the case.

Now you might argue that this is not fair, and I might be inclined to agree with you. But fairness has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LAW! That is the simple truth. Some people mistakenly think the judgment is not valid because they believe they have to be sued in the county in which they live. But that is not true of these cases. These are cases involving federal questions. The people who believe that have heard that regarding simple debt collection lawsuits, and in that instance it IS true. Never take for granted anything you read on the internet regarding what the law is or isn't. If you are in legal trouble, ASK A LAWYER! Because many people on the internet, well meaning though they may be, are quite often wrong. Where a case is heard, in what court and what is the proper venue varies by the type of case you are talking about. And most people have some personal experience with debt collection lawsuits, or know someone who has, and they start handing out advice, like "don't worry, they can't touch you unless they sue you where you live" which might be true in a debt collection case, but does not hold true in a case involving copyright violations or trademark infringement.

I am not implying that the OP is doing anything wrong. Sometimes, people have valid codes they can sell. I am just trying to give you an idea of the difficulties you might face if you try to sell these on eBay, especially with a brand new account. Selling codes and counterfeits is very similar as far as the law is concerned. I don't care what people sell, I am not a cop, but I don't want to see newbies taken in by the idea of easy money with no risk and then they find out that the money is not so easy and the consequences are real. I have heart HEARTBREAKING stories from people contacting me to ask for advice. And I have to tell them to speak with a lawyer. Because I am not an attorney and I am not qualified to dispense legal advice. There are NO attorneys on this forum that I am aware of. So please do not take anything you see here as legal advice.

Last edited by jeffweico; 02-28-2016 at 01:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aspkin (02-29-2016), phaz0rz (02-29-2016)
Old 02-28-2016
Banned

hey jeff what if you get mail from j&p on a stealth account? will they find the real person behind the account?

i dont sell many foos but was wondering anyways.
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaBeh8ater View Post
hey jeff what if you get mail from j&p on a stealth account? will they find the real person behind the account?
I'm not sure if you mean email or snail mail, but in both instances the answer is no. That information would not be available to them.

What they COULD do, if they thought you were a "big fish" is to file a lawsuit against eBay (or PayPal) and John Doe. They would make the case to the judge that a particular eBay account has been selling counterfeit goods and they are asking the judge to subpoena any records that eBay would have regarding that account so that they could find the person behind the account. Obviously, this would include the bank account(s) that you have registered on PayPal. If you ever want to know who is behind something, follow the money.

Stealth is designed to keep your real identity a secret from eBay and PayPal. It cannot stop the courts or law enforcement from finding your information.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016
Banned

i never attach banks to seller accounts. i always keep my withdraw accounts seperate and just gift the payments to them. got 4 accounts and 1 is almost a year old.
Old 02-29-2016
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Good information Jeff.. it's no longer the wild west of eBay..
Old 02-29-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
i never attach banks to seller accounts. i always keep my withdraw accounts seperate and just gift the payments to them. got 4 accounts and 1 is almost a year old.

Holy crap. No wonder you burn through so many accounts. Do you just ignore EVERYTHING posted here?

LOL. Don't take it too personally but your method is account suicide.

Plus if you were subpoenaed, Paypal could easily infer you withdraw your money by transferring to other accounts, and hand over those other accounts to investigators. No?
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

i dont sell many foos but was wondering anyways.
Selling those phake workout videos?
Old 02-29-2016
Banned

no. got a few rays from 2-3 years ago and a few gba/ds games. no big fish here.
Old 02-29-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
no. got a few rays from 2-3 years ago and a few gba/ds games. no big fish here.

Great track.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016
Banned

never heard of it berore. but i do know of red hot chili peppers.
Old 02-29-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

Certain keys and codes are known to be obtained wrongfully, and ebay knows it. If you are going to sell them, then best to have some type of proof of shipping (tracking number) so you dont have ebay reviewing your account. Ebay wants to see tracking because it is proof that you shipped.