Seller Below Standard - Account restricted but not suspended - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-08-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 47%
Default Seller Below Standard - Account restricted but not suspended

This is so frustrating. I apologize if I am posting this to the wrong forum. Here is my current situation. My account is not suspended but just last week it went into all kinds of restrictions. 45 items per month and $4500 even though I have 100% positive feedback and I have made ton of money for Ebay ($1000s in fees per year). Also my funds are now held 72 hours after confirmation of delivery. This is sooo childish !

Apparently I have a 2.3% defect rate (none of which is my fault - I had listed for local pickup and the buyers bought them anyway even though my listing clearly said nothing would be shipped and marked as local pickup; then refused to pick them up so I had to cancel the orders) and my mistake was not realizing how this would affect my standards. I tried to have Ebay help me remove the defects and after one hour being on the phone, the rep gave up saying he could not do it because they are past 180 days. Lesson learned !!

Here is my question. Is it ok if I open a second account in my wife's name and start selling ? I know that account may be restricted as well but alteast I have two accounts versus one. I called ebay and asked them and they said that would be fine but I just dont trust what they say ! . I know I can work myself out of this in about few months if I continue to sell but I rather have two accounts if I can than just one restricted account.

I am not doing this a living but it just makes me sooo mad that so many good sellers would get caught up in this sometimes for no fault of theirs. I was on the phone with them several times and gave them an earful of what I thought about the new process but I know all that feedback would mean nothing to them.

Appreciate your response !
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-08-2016

Activity: 23%
Longevity: 67%
Default Re: Seller Below Standard - Account restricted but not suspended

Don't worry I know it's frustrating seeing an account go below standard and become restricted it's happened to me and many more of us. You will be back.

The account you have now will most likely be suspended and if you don't know how eBay and PayPal link you and you create an account under your wifes name it would be suspended as well if you don't know what your doing. You can create an account under your wifes name but your want to make sure it doesn't get linked to the one you have now otherwise its game over again.

So it's time to go STEALTH in my opinion!! You have a lot to learn. I would recommend reading through the stealth guide and reading this forum and asking questions your not sure of.
Old 03-08-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the quick reply. Why would my account be suspended ? That does not make any sense. Restricted sure, suspended ? I have been with Ebay for more than 10 years and ofcourse the new standards that kicked in this month is what set off those restrictions. I can still buy and sell.

Are you saying if your standards are below for a certain time your account would be suspended ? That is not what the supervisor said. She clearly indicated that all the defects should lapse after 12 month time period if I dont accrue any new defects (which I have not in the last six months). Well, I can them again tomorrow and confirm.

OK, I will create an account in my wife's name and link it to a different paypal address. Good advice. Everything would be different except the address - not sure how big a deal that is.

I am not sure if I am ready for stealth account yet. Gosh this is definitely stressful.
Old 03-09-2016

It doesn't matter how long you have been with eBay if your account is below standard and they have already restricted you from selling I assume 7 days then theirs a big possibility it will be suspended.

I had an account below standard I did everything to get my defect rate down to 0.30% by selling as much stock as I can but only got it down to 2.7% then they cut my selling allowances down from 344 items £9,000 per month to 50 items at £1,000 per month. I had sold 140 I beleive to get out of it but I would of had to sell 1000 items a
"mission impossible" especially when they cut my limits and restricted me from selling.

It's not suspended as of yet but as things will not improve I know it it will be.

If you create an account in your wifes name remember to do the following.

New name
New address
New Phone number
New email
New user account
New ip address
New bank account
Old 03-09-2016
Threadstarter  

I called Ebay again and asked them a hypothetical question.

Me asking the rep : What if I stopped selling for the next few months and allow the defects to roll off, will I pull myself up on my performance standards ?

Ebay rep : Yes

lol

I am not going to create a new account because if Ebay finds out I am doing this to get around the restrictions I know they could ban me. Also there is no way I can create a new account with a different address.
Old 03-09-2016

Longevity: 73%

I've had this happen to few accounts. They remain restricted forever, never get another increase even if they come above standard, and never are suspended.

EB will let you buy but not sell.

I can even sell on a few with tiny limits, but never any improvements.

Time to move on.
Old 03-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Actually I got the increase I wanted. I called them again. Not sure what kind of restrictions you guys had in the past but mine is definitely caught up in the NEW standards that kicked in. So mine is a little different I guess. With due respect I would not quiet compare my issue with yours unless ofcourse you were affected in the last few weeks as well.

The rep doubled my number of items I can list and increased the dollar amount too. That should be plenty for now what I can list and sell. I am still mad about what they did (complete lack of communication that I would get caught up in this for their stupid mistakes) but alteast I was assured I should get my account out of all limits as soon as the defects go below 2%. Apparently that is the ONLY metric they use though they were hesitant to admit that. 100% feedback means nothing. Does not matter how much growth you have shown as a seller. This does not make sense Ebay hurting themselves with some of these ridiculous so called new seller standards.

I would still want to open another account but I will wait until I get myself out of the hole first. I do have a question though....If I do open an another account, I can do everything different except the address. Name, Bank Account, New user name, Paypal, IP address where the id is created from etc....So how do you get around the address part ?

Last edited by ebay3434; 03-10-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Don't need to use wife's name....stealth avoids this.

PO Box works for address purposes
Old 03-10-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks. PO BOX would be an issue in case of returns even though all my listing clearly say "No returns" or any other unforeseen shipping issues ? (That never prevented alteast one buyer from changing his mind though I admit for most part the buyers have been honest and fair).
Old 03-10-2016

I personally go into Google and type "rent a house in london" I then look up on the streets to see the maxium house number on the street. So if 100 is the maxium door number I would then use door number 101 knowing that nobody would of ever used that address as the door number does not exist.

You need a NEW USER ACCOUNT to create a NEW aBay account. You need to create a NEW USER ACCOUNT on your desktop as eBay can track you down by flash cookies you download on your computer. So if you created an account with the same USER ACCOUNT your using right now, then eBay would associate the account you have now with your new account, something you don't want to happen.
Old 03-10-2016

Activity: 14%

when you cancel the order choose buyer cancel and you get 0% defect rate, if you want to use your wife's name to make a new account make sure you use a different browser.
Old 03-11-2016

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbear View Post
when you cancel the order choose buyer cancel and you get 0% defect rate, if you want to use your wife's name to make a new account make sure you use a different browser.
Bingo never had problems since started using different browsers.
Old 03-11-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay3434 View Post
Thanks. PO BOX would be an issue in case of returns even though all my listing clearly say "No returns" or any other unforeseen shipping issues ? (That never prevented alteast one buyer from changing his mind though I admit for most part the buyers have been honest and fair).
Even if you write No Returns...ppl can still bypass this :( unfortunately
Old 03-11-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbear View Post
when you cancel the order choose buyer cancel and you get 0% defect rate,
I did but apparently Ebay thought I chose that option even without buyer asking for cancellation (meaning I did it on my own) and ended up treating those few transactions as defects. Their system is so f* at times. Oh well. Lesson learnt.
Old 03-11-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samspalace View Post
I personally go into Google and type "rent a house in london" I then look up on the streets to see the maxium house number on the street. So if 100 is the maxium door number I would then use door number 101 knowing that nobody would of ever used that address as the door number does not exist.
So if you use a fictitious address, what happens if the buyer wants to send the item back ?
Old 03-11-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
So if you use a fictitious address, what happens if the buyer wants to send the item back ?
If you use a fictitious address then you obviously can't use eBay's returns system. What I do since all of my accounts have phake addresses is simpler and cheaper than eBay returns. I just get the buyers email from the transaction details, email them a return shipping label, wait to get the item back, then send them a refund.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
ebay3434 (03-15-2016), samspalace (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016

Activity: 14%

Quote:
I did but apparently Ebay thought I chose that option even without buyer asking for cancellation (meaning I did it on my own) and ended up treating those few transactions as defects. Their system is so f* at times. Oh well. Lesson learnt.
Do not just cancel the order without sending a message to the buyer. You have to send a message first, "Hi, "Make up a reason" if we don't hear from you within 24 hours we will cancel this order.
Old 03-12-2016

Omg, that's exactly what happened to me. I busted my ass for 5 yrs on an account w/ 100% feedback. They hate cancellations and it doesn't matter what you pay them, there are people that pay them $5000 just in a month, I think they're trying to rid the small sellers. Get a stealth NOW, trust me.
Old 03-12-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly22 View Post
Omg, that's exactly what happened to me. I busted my ass for 5 yrs on an account w/ 100% feedback. They hate cancellations and it doesn't matter what you pay them, there are people that pay them $5000 just in a month, I think they're trying to rid the small sellers. Get a stealth NOW, trust me.
Of course they hate seller-initiated cancellations. When a customer orders something and never gets it, they get sore about it and start shopping elsewhere (Amazon mainly) in the future. Ebay has done tons of research about this and come to that conclusion. Which makes sense.

The amount you're paying them makes no difference. New sellers sign up daily so they aren't worried about the .00000000000001% of profit they lose by closing your account. You have to stay on top of customer service to succeed
Old 03-15-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I just get the buyers email from the transaction details, email them a return shipping label, wait to get the item back, then send them a refund.
Good idea. You have been thanked. Like I said I am not ready for stealth account yet but always good to know.

By the way I do have an update. My paypal funds all of sudden are not held up for 72 hours after delivery confirmation, anymore - Just like that it stopped after two weeks. I am confused but glad - It was really ridiculous for them to treate me like a total newbie. Not sure if my constant complaining (I called them about 4 times totally p* about their new standards) did this or something else did.

I now have to wait for couple of defects to roll off. I don't sell high volume items - not worth my time and can afford to wait until the 12 month period start to kick in the next two months. In the meantime the only restriction I have to deal with is the dollar limits which is ok by me for now. I may request additional $$ limit increase next month and see if they honor it.

I agree with the other poster about how important it is to monitor your defects/metrics and be on top service related issues. I fought one case last year tooth and nail when I knew I was right but I ended up accepting return anyway. I won't put up a fight anymore.
Old 03-15-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Of course they hate seller-initiated cancellations. When a customer orders something and never gets it, they get sore about it and start shopping elsewhere (Amazon mainly) in the future. Ebay has done tons of research about this and come to that conclusion. Which makes sense.

The amount you're paying them makes no difference. New sellers sign up daily so they aren't worried about the .00000000000001% of profit they lose by closing your account. You have to stay on top of customer service to succeed
Mine was not seller initiated transactions for lack of inventory. The items were clearly listed as local pick up but buyers from other states bought it thinking it was being shipped even though my listing clearly said "nothing will be shipped and only cash payments will be accepted". The mistake I made was not working with ebay right away in removing these defects back when they happened. I have stopped listing local pickup ever since.

About your second point, I am not sure if I agree with you. Ebay will need good sellers and no one is perfect. I agree with ebay about how important it is for the sellers to ship the item they just sold but then no one is perfect. Mistakes happen. I feel 2% metric is a little harsh but that is me. They should also look at the dollar value as well not just the number of items. I have had big companies such as staples, best buy, walmart cancel orders out on me several times.

Combine this with ridiculous return policy - I heard it is going to change to 30 days in the next few months or so. These standards are way beyond the best in the industry. I still like ebay way better than Amazon for selling but sometimes I do wonder if it is even worth it.
Old 04-23-2016

Longevity: 46%

The 2% is not the only metric, apparently the .3% (1/3 of 1%) for cases closed without seller resolution is what got me.

I became top rated, and as such I was accepting returns for the first time, and up until now used my iphone for 100% of my business on ebay. Apparently, there is a glitch when accepting returns through the iphone.. that was making my returns not show 'accepted' to the buyer. My screen shows 'return accepted - your buyer will return the item soon'.

At only 294 sales this year, even one case would restrict me. i now have 3 cases against me for this mess.