Using a cheap smart phone - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-04-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 46%
Default Using a cheap smart phone

using a cheap smart phone for a ebay and paypal stealth account is this a good idea i wanted to do this so i can list items by I'm on the move
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-04-2016

Default Re: Using a cheap smart phone

That's what I plan to do. The general consensus seems to be a long as the phone is new, or entirely new to ebay, it should be fine. One device for each account.
Old 06-04-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

It is possible but why would anyone want to list on a phone......seems so much work.
Old 06-05-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%

If you plan to bulk list this isnt advisable
Old 06-06-2016

Listing on a phone is SO much quicker and easier. I fly through my listings... I only use a phone. Typing on my phone right now, even. It's nice having the camera here, on the same device, no hooking up a cable, uploading photos from a camera, organizing and selecting the photos... It's all right here. Within 25-45 seconds I can have a listing done. (I type really basic descriptions.. "Here is a xxx. It is in great condition with minor wear as shown. I ship same day!"). This post probably took 45 seconds... The same as a full eBay listing.
Old 06-06-2016
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed08 View Post
Listing on a phone is SO much quicker and easier. I fly through my listings... I only use a phone. Typing on my phone right now, even. It's nice having the camera here, on the same device, no hooking up a cable, uploading photos from a camera, organizing and selecting the photos... It's all right here. Within 25-45 seconds I can have a listing done. (I type really basic descriptions.. "Here is a xxx. It is in great condition with minor wear as shown. I ship same day!"). This post probably took 45 seconds... The same as a full eBay listing.
I would recommend deleting the exif data from your photos. Easy way to get multiple accounts linked.
Old 06-06-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

OP - Simple answer is you CAN do it.

But, it depends on your competency in terms of stealth. Like Speeder33 said, EXIF data would need to be removed, that hiccup alone could of cost you an account.

Other factors to consider, how do you plan to manage IP?, will you just be using 1 phone/account, or do you intend to scale up and carry multiple smart phones for multiple accounts?

P.S. if your not going for an ultra-portable device (Phone), a cellular iPad could be a good alternative for managing multiple accounts on the move.
Old 06-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

I usually only use my iphone just to check on my listings, never actually log into any account.
Old 06-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
We all have different listing strategies, but in my opinion creating a good Ebay listing requires the full featured website. I started on my phone but moved to the laptop when I went stealth, and that's when my business took off for real. I keep my listings very simple also. But I like being able to easily use multiple fonts, change background colors, use a full laptop keyboard, etc..

I can always tell a listing that was created on a phone and I would never buy from such a listing. They always have 2 or 3 crappy photos, then a 2 line description in Black 12pt Times New Roman font. Your listings could look SO much more professional if you spent more than a minute on each. We all have different motives for selling on Ebay though. This is my primary income so I really take my time making listings.

OP - There's nothing flawed with your plan but you should keep in mind a laptop is just as mobile as a smartphone. Take that money and get a Chromebook or something
Old 06-06-2016

The data is only important when trying to re-use the same photos on different accounts, correct? I sell used items... So all photos are actual. There will be no overlap among accounts, each account will have it's own device, each account will have different items. In addition I am using all new photo background for the new account, so no similarities seen or hidden to require deleting trace info as far as I know?

This issue does concern me though, as even though the items are entirely different (I went as far as putting all my old accounts items in a box and counted as a loss with no plans to relist) at times items may look similar to a novice. Entirely different items, as again they are used, and unique, but similar search terms etc.

Last edited by stressed08; 06-06-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

data can link your accounts because it will show exactly what device took the image. Not to say it is common place, but we have a forum full of proof showing it does happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Play (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016

Correct so different devices... Different info.... I should be good without wiping the data, correct?

The only thing I can think of that would be horrible, is if eBay sees location data from photo. Like how Facebook sees photo was taken on xxxx street, and city.

But if that's the only concern, for people with dedicated devices, I believe location can be disabled in settings
Old 06-06-2016

FYI... Verizon has a great prepaid plan, only $20 to add a new phone, $10 to add a new tablet, with pooled data. Up to 8 devices. I was only going to run one ebay account on the new device, but they gave us a tablet for $1.... So I think I will play with making a stealth account in addition now that I found myself with a bonus device
Old 06-06-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Correct so different devices... Different info.... I should be good without wiping the data, correct?

The only thing I can think of that would be horrible, is if eBay sees location data from photo. Like how Facebook sees photo was taken on xxxx street, and city.

But if that's the only concern, for people with dedicated devices, I believe location can be disabled in settings
ebay can only see the exif data of the photos.

I dont think exif data holds location, I have not seen it.

You can upload photos online to see the exif data associated with it.

One phone, one ebay account, taking pictures using that phone for that one account, should keep you under the radar - just make sure everything else is kept fully stealth, and there are no trip ups.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
e2free (06-08-2016), stressed08 (06-06-2016), yankee (06-06-2016)