What do you sell? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-05-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 45%
Default What do you sell?

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this forum and am happy that I found it as there's so much great information being shared here. I've tried to help out and input my suggestions and recommendations here and there as a way to help out and give back.

So I'd like to know what some of you guys sell on your ebay accounts in order to build them up, age them and to ultimately become a top rated seller.

For some time I've been going to local dollar stores and picking up a bunch of little items and pretty much list them for $0.99 auction with free shipping. Most items would sell for $0.99 easily and I'd ship them out to the buyers with tracking, etc. So my problem here is that I buy for $1.07, spend $3.35 to ship and then left with a balance of -$1.61 after I get about $0.67 from the actual ebay sale. Clearly I'm doing this just for feedback purposes and building up my accounts but I know there's a better way rather than losing money on every sale.

So can you recommend what items that I'd be able to sell on my accounts easily, with minimal risk where I can either break even or better yet make a profit, even though it may be as little as $1.00?
The Following User Says Thank You to digim0n For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (07-05-2016)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-05-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 47%
Default Re: What do you sell?

You have been doing what many others here do as far as losing money on some items when first establishing an account. There are a great number of threads on the forum givings suggestions and ideas of items to start with. If you are continuously losing money and want to change that i really do not think anyone has a boxed up answer for you. I recommend that you just come up with a simple starter account plan. Example, do what you have been as far as dollar store items, wouldn't be my first choice and have never did this myself, there is just way to many items to be had to sell just for the looking. Then when you get to the point of being able to list multiple, or just have multiple of the same items in stock so you can just post another as soon as one sells ( i avoid multiples on accounts for a few months at least). Then find some items "widgets"for example, and buy in bulk. Calculate all costs, and sell to just break even. Kind of fairly simple, but effective. Like i said though, there are many different ways to age a account.
Old 07-05-2016
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by digim0n View Post
So can you recommend what items that I'd be able to sell on my accounts easily, with minimal risk where I can either break even or better yet make a profit, even though it may be as little as $1.00?
Garage Sales, Yard Sales, Estate Sales, Storage Unit Actions, Thrift Stores, Good Will, Salvation Army, Craigslist etc..

Lot's of options to get lot's of used items and make a good profit

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscri...ard-sales.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (07-05-2016), MM78 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

What TGMT said mixed in with what davids01 said. Look at Chinese Sellers, ever wonder why they sell stuff at $1 with free shipping? They do it to sell a ton, get Top Rated then they sell their $3.99 stuff which is all crap anyways but that's what they do.
Old 07-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this forum and am happy that I found it as there's so much great information being shared here. I've tried to help out and input my suggestions and recommendations here ....

Oh nice! Good post outlining your methods.

Keep in mind there is only so much you need to sell at low cost to help establish the account. Get the feedback where you can.

That said, with The USA about to enjoy a long period of summer, this is the time to be out and about stockpiling goodies for your account. TGMT' has mentioned so many options which will help your pocket as well.
Good luck as you search & thanks for a great post.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (07-05-2016)
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Its not a bad strategy. I am an established seller but I do have some items that I have that are very minimal profit that I sell just because it is easy positive feedback. Making sure your metrics are good with eBay is really important.
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

This is how I built my current account up:

I went around the house and picked up everything that I wanted to throw away. We are talking about old shoes, office supplies, decorative items, kids clothes, tools and other stuff that was taking up space.
I did exactly the same thing in my parents and sisters house- I just asked everybody to give me old ****. Simple as.
I spread the items between accounts and just list everything 0.99p auction and free shipping. Most items ended with small profit, I didn't lose any money on shipping.

This way you can build accouns and make it look very random- Because it is random.
When you are building accounts its not important to make money- Just get the selling going, offer great service and build feedback and push for limit raises.

Once you have established seller account, follow this advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
Its not a bad strategy. I am an established seller but I do have some items that I have that are very minimal profit that I sell just because it is easy positive feedback. Making sure your metrics are good with eBay is really important.
I sell across 5-9 accounts, depending on the stock levels and this is exactly how everybody should sell: You have your money makers, and you have your feedback builders and metrics builders.

What I tend to do is have my accounts in rotation. I sell a lot on few accounts, and then "rest" then for a month or with 99p actions and free shipping items- I only sell small items that I can post in an envelope and pay only for a stamp.

When you start off, you just need to focus on the account well-being and build it up. Once your account is nice and established- Just keep the same mentality and keep on, keeping on.
Old 07-06-2016
Threadstarter  

Wow awesome responses guys, very great and useful information that I'll be implementing from here on-wards. As for the garage sales, I always figured that new items would be best for selling as you don't need to wonder about condition. But you do make a good point so I will do some scouting around and find some good deals to be sold. I also do search for random things around the house to sell too but never really did it for anything used so I guess I can try this as well.

Unfortunately I've only got one active seller account but the limits on that is 1000/25000 thankfully so I got really lucky there as ebay gave me those limits right off the bat. I just started listing electronics like used iphones and cameras and stuff like that but I'll keep on with the little items to build up feedback and to hopefully get to TRS some good day. Now that I see they sell high limit accounts here I will be looking to purchase a few to start aging in time for the Christmas season.

I was thinking to maybe search for some products and buy in bulk from China and then sell on my account here. Do any of you do this?
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Most people are NOT inclined to tell you what they are selling for fear of competition so it is really a question that is VERY difficult to get an honest answer to.

The truth is that you cannot just sell anything, the first things that you should try to sell are things that you know something about. If someone ask you if the Teac X700R that you have listed can support a 10in Reel or if it is capable of recording a 12 piece orchestra you must be able to answer correctly, then if that does not work out then you should try to learn about a new item

Last edited by slapped; 07-06-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

@digim0n....Digimon cards still sell? /nod to look into
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I used to get stuff cheap off of Govdeals and sell that off to start accounts. I don't really have time for that method anymore but I still love Govdeals.
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
I was thinking to maybe search for some products and buy in bulk from China and then sell on my account here. Do any of you do this?
That is a viable option but remember that the Chinese sellers are already most likely selling the item you want to sell at an already super low price. I have taken TGMT's advice about garage sales and actually have found a niche that I never knew existed until I saw someone on a blog advice about said item.
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
That is a viable option but remember that the Chinese sellers are already most likely selling the item you want to sell at an already super low price. I have taken TGMT's advice about garage sales and actually have found a niche that I never knew existed until I saw someone on a blog advice about said item.
Look into youtube videos. I might have an idea for a bread and butter item from this youtube person who sells online. I still need to get my ass off this chair and into some thrift stores this week.

And here I am, still on the chair playing computer games and typing this out, but at this hour 10:41pm, all thrift store are closed.
Old 07-07-2016

Longevity: 51%

White Mouse Pads
Old 07-07-2016
Threadstarter  

Great ideas. May very well hit up some garage sales this weekend.
Old 07-07-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 47%

You could also try posting on CL for "Any Unwanted Items", or "will clean out your store room/garage for unwanted items". You would be surprised how many people may take you up on the offer. You would also be surprised what kind of nut-jobs are out there.
Old 07-07-2016
MU

Longevity: 52%

I sell anything i can get my hands. Last month was a free artic cat 1977 panther...the cadillac of snow mobiles. Sold for 500 in 24 hours cash outside of ebay no less. Cost was 10 in gas to retrieve. Nope not stolen either.

I scrap and the owner was bailing scrap. On top of it he threw in the snowmobile. He got tired of fussing with it. It would run but shut down when it got hot. I personally never heard it running or got it running. He wanted it gond, so lined my pockets. Guy came from VA to Pa for it and was sold for cash outside of ebay using them as a billboard he he. Hence why my number is those kind of ads.

Another "niche" is appliance parts. If you have the skills to diagnose and tear down appliances you can make bukko dollars quick.

Some machines can be up to 500 in parts. All it takes is plug it in or ask the person giving it to you. If they say it wont drain, probaly clooged drain pump or bad pump. Part it out. It has a water leak. Ok then you know most is good.

I can go on for a hour telling all the "secrets" but this is enough info for you to get started.

And there is no risk like buying junk from chine like most do on here. There is no cash involved...only time and gas to get it. Plus then u got the back door profit of hitting the scrap yard.

It used to be till scrap dropped....ebay was gravy and scrp paid all the bills. Now I solely live off of ebay and the scrap is gas money!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanbean0109 For This Useful Post:
rsot (07-07-2016)
Old 07-08-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks @davids01 and @jeanbean0109

I've never really dismantled much appliances to see what their anatomy is like but I do know of many places in my city who are either giving them away or selling them for dog cheap. Didn't know that the scrap parts were sell-able though. More stuff to consider for selling.
Old 07-08-2016

you might also try to sell some PRL ebooks ,like here :
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-Money-On-Ebay-Kit-Ebook-Resell-rights-Bonus-Ebook-/151560545901
Iguess just any PRL book will do,search some profitable niche for it ,might work fine
And no,it is not my ebay listing above :-) just found it while having the same your thought on how to build a feedback so searched for ideas.

Last edited by juanaiguana; 07-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2016

Longevity: 64%

Sell £10 quid notes for £9.50 .You'll be busy all day.
Old 07-08-2016
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,250 Posts
Activity: 26%
Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanaiguana View Post
you might also try to sell some PRL ebooks ,like here :
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-Money-On-Ebay-Kit-Ebook-Resell-rights-Bonus-Ebook-/151560545901
Iguess just any PRL book will do,search some profitable niche for it ,might work fine
And no,it is not my ebay listing above :-) just found it while having the same your thought on how to build a feedback so searched for ideas.
Careful Juana, these kind of items are high risk. eBooks are not recommended at all. Anything that is "digital" shall be avoided.

You are seriously risking the account.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilcarletto For This Useful Post:
juanaiguana (07-12-2016)
Old 07-08-2016
MU

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Thanks @davids01 and @jeanbean0109

I've never really dismantled much appliances to see what their anatomy is like but I do know of many places in my city who are either giving them away or selling them for dog cheap. Didn't know that the scrap parts were sell-able though. More stuff to consider for selling.
Heres a hint...look up a front loader washer or dryer on completed listings on ebay. Everything sells. The door alone is 150...the counterweights are 100, the brains are 100, not bad for 5 bucks of gas to get if free!

A lot of what sell is scrap or broken. Last month I was selling untested ham radios for 25 a pop. And they fit nicely in a padded bubbler mail at 6.70 to ship. So made a 100 on a trash can find.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanbean0109 For This Useful Post:
rsot (07-08-2016)