Something VERY WEIRD going on while selling this item on eBay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-04-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 68%
Default Something VERY WEIRD going on while selling this item on eBay

I've got a high 3 figure priced item on eBay. I initially listed it around 10 days ago. It's an auction, but with a BuyItNow a couple hundred more than the starting bid. Also, it's mostly had just 1 person 'watching' the auction at any given time. Here's what's happened so far...

---

August 25th - 6AM - email from eBay: Your item sold!

Buyer requests invoice (default email: "Please send me the total amount for eBay item...") - I do that.

5 hours later - email from eBay: "Listing removed - Unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account"

Suddenly it says it's no longer a registered member on eBay. It was only a 2 feedback user, although it wasn't a brand new account. Shows it was from 2010 I think.

---

So whatever... I guess the buyer was hacked or something. So I relist the item...

8AM the next day - email from eBay - Your item sold!

This time it's an account with over 250 feedback.

Buyer requests invoice (default email: "Please send me the total amount for eBay item...") - I do that.

22 hours later - email from eBay: "Listing removed - Unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account"

Really? Again? Like I said, this time it's a user with 250 feedback. Also from the US. Although unlike the first user, their account is still active and doesn't say 'no longer a registered user' or anything.

---

So I relist again.... 48 hours later...

4AM - email from eBay: Your item sold!

This is from an account with 150 feedback.

Now I'm currently waiting for a payment. But there's no chance in hell I expect it. Why does this keep happening? This is extremely weird. Especially since the last 2 accounts weren't some crappy throwaways or anything either. They're legit accounts with a lot of all-positive buyer feedback.

Also, I swear I put 'Require payment immediately' before I re-listed the item last time.... I guess I missed checking the box or something..

Last edited by mcmx; 09-04-2016 at 04:20 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-04-2016

Longevity: 52%
Default Re: Something VERY WEIRD going on while selling this item on eBay

This is very strange! but the only logical explantion i can come to is it must be coninndence.
I would wait for payment with hope, let us know how you got on (:
Old 09-04-2016

Longevity: 78%

Could be a coincidence. Tho I've never even had this happen ONCE
Old 09-04-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy101 View Post
This is very strange! but the only logical explantion i can come to is it must be coninndence.
I would wait for payment with hope, let us know how you got on (:
Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
Could be a coincidence. Tho I've never even had this happen ONCE
I don't know... seems crazy that it would just be a coincidence. My only theory is that these are somehow accounts belonging to a seller selling the exact same item and they're trying to keep mine off eBay. But I doubt someone would actually own and decide to risk a couple of very high feedback, long-time accounts, just to screw up my listing and take it off eBay so his could sell. They're all in different locations anyway. I would be shocked if it was the same person. The names seem pretty authentic too.

I'm fully expecting another "Listing cancelled - unauthorized bidder or buyer" email within the next 12 hours.

I will re-post it and make sure I check off the 'Require Immediate Payment when buyer goes through Buy It Now' ...although that would also make me nervous, because what if the same thing happens again and the person does pay, then I get the message that it was unauthorized.

Last edited by mcmx; 09-04-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2016

Longevity: 53%

There is one way around the immediate payment for buy it now auctions. If you click add to cart, you have the option to request total from seller....the item will still be "sold" but they have bypassed the immediate payment requirement.
Old 09-04-2016

Longevity: 50%

If I were you , I'd be extremly careful. It looks like you have to deal with a professionnal scammer. First time he tries it with a 0 feedback account, it doesn't work, second time with a high feedback account, but fail .. But as this kind of people never give up, he try again, and now he is waiting to see if ebay doesn't cancel the transaction because he doesn't want to burn his paypal account.
I hope that's not what happen to you, but that's what it makes me think about. On internet you have some forum like this one where people talk only about how to scam amazon and ebay, and ones you are in their files, it's really not good.
Good Luck
Old 09-04-2016
peghmeypong

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOKNAPA View Post
If I were you , I'd be extremly careful. It looks like you have to deal with a professionnal scammer. First time he tries it with a 0 feedback account, it doesn't work, second time with a high feedback account, but fail .. But as this kind of people never give up, he try again, and now he is waiting to see if ebay doesn't cancel the transaction because he doesn't want to burn his paypal account.
I hope that's not what happen to you, but that's what it makes me think about. On internet you have some forum like this one where people talk only about how to scam amazon and ebay, and ones you are in their files, it's really not good.
Good Luck
Definitely a professional scammer. I get them all the time on iPhones.

They usually ask for my email or a PayPal invoice and then send a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ PayPal email.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Good Luck
You think a guy is going to sacrifice a 250 feedback account? For what? It's not like this would shut the OP down. It wouldn't be his fault. What possible scam can you think of, that would benefit someone enough to sacrifice multiple high value accounts, to just have a couple transactions cancelled?

You can call it a scam all you want, but you need to back up that statement with what the actual scam is.
Old 09-04-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

When establishing whether a I buyer is a scammer or not, look into the following:
  • Feedback (the obvious one to go to)
  • Member registration date (how long have they been around)
  • Buying activity (how frequently, and when was the last time)
  • Selling activity (what have they been selling, and at what value)

When you combine those factors, you can sort of tell if their going to pull off a scam or not.
Old 09-04-2016
peghmeypong

Quote:
You think a guy is going to sacrifice a 250 feedback account? For what? It's not like this would shut the OP down. It wouldn't be his fault. What possible scam can you think of, that would benefit someone enough to sacrifice multiple high value accounts, to just have a couple transactions cancelled?

You can call it a scam all you want, but you need to back up that statement with what the actual scam is.
I've had accounts with 10s and 100s of feedback trying to pull scams. Had one that was a genuine UK company with an online presence and a street address.

They are usually hacked accounts in my experience.

As I mentioned, they send a mocked up PayPal email and pretend to have paid.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghmeypong View Post
As I mentioned, they send a mocked up PayPal email and pretend to have paid.
That has been happening for the 10 years I have been selling on eBay/PayPal. The only reason it continues to happen is because people fall for it.

My advice to everyone would be check your PayPal balance/transactions post payment if you are a victim of such emails to ensure the payment is either available or on hold. PayPal will not hold your balance without any mention when you login to your account.
Old 09-04-2016
peghmeypong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
That has been happening for the 10 years I have been selling on eBay/PayPal. The only reason it continues to happen is because people fall for it.

My advice to everyone would be check your PayPal balance/transactions post payment if you are a victim of such emails to ensure the payment is either available or on hold. PayPal will not hold your balance without any mention when you login to your account.
I always want to ask them how often it actually works.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post

I still don't understand how this works... You can SEE in the ebay transaction if a buyer has paid. I think there is even a warning that says "make sure buyer has paid" if you try to print without a payment.
Old 09-04-2016
peghmeypong

It's a numbers game. If they get 1 in 100 to fall for it. They send thousands.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghmeypong View Post
I always want to ask them how often it actually works.
I often like to mess them around when I have a little time on my hands, like replying back something like 'thank you very much for the payment, I can see PayPal will hold on to it, can you send me the address you want me to post the item to, I will send it out super fast delivery'

That gives them a little hope, leaving them shattered when nothing arrives.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
I still don't understand how this works... You can SEE in the ebay transaction if a buyer has paid. I think there is even a warning that says "make sure buyer has paid" if you try to print without a payment.
They tend to target the newbies on ebay, as their easily deceived.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:

Well , I think Yes, and just an example :

I am seller on ebay with multiple accounts, but I never buy anything on it. I have good feedbacks as I am a good seller and buyers loves my products.
But ebay doesn't like my products, so I get banned from selling around every 6 months. I still can buy with this account, but as I already said, I never buy anything. If I want to make few extra $ every 6 month, I can sell this account to a scammer.

ok ?
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
Well , I think Yes, and just an example :

I am seller on ebay with multiple accounts, but I never buy anything on it. I have good feedbacks as I am a good seller and buyers loves my products.
But ebay doesn't like my products, so I get banned from selling around every 6 months. I still can buy with this account, but as I already said, I never buy anything. If I want to make few extra $ every 6 month, I can sell this account to a scammer.

ok ?
ok.

But that only addresses one of the things I said.

What scam, are they pulling off?
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
ok.

But that only addresses one of the things I said.

What scam, are they pulling off?
I am not a professional scammer, but if you want to know, take a look at some of the forums I mentioned before, and you will see that they have many idea as it's their only job.

But basicly, Item not as described, and they will send you back a package with a stone and a kind note saying "thank you for the phone"
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
I am not a professional scammer, but if you want to know, take a look at some of the forums I mentioned before, and you will see that they have many idea as it's their only job.

But basicly, Item not as described, and they will send you back a package with a stone and a kind note saying "thank you for the phone"
I'm not asking how someone can scam someone. That's simple.

I'm asking how THIS specific situation is someone possibly scamming someone.
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
I'm not asking how someone can scam someone. That's simple.

I'm asking how THIS specific situation is someone possibly scamming someone.
they do some research and they use their brain
Old 09-04-2016

Quote:
they do some research and they use their brain
So your answer is " I have no idea how they are scamming this person. But they are dealing with a professional scammer".

The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
mcmx (09-04-2016)