why some people sell so cheap - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-13-2016
Radfele

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default why some people sell so cheap

why do some sell at stupid prices

It makes so sense to sell 300 items in a week and make maybe 1£ on each item selling for 20£, only to have that wiped out by returns and refunds

Honestly I am shocked and disgusted with some sellers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: why some people sell so cheap

Its to build up feedback sometimes

People will often sell at a loss to build feedback. Being able to make £1 profit is actually pretty decent
Old 09-13-2016
Radfele

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post

People will often sell at a loss to build feedback. Being able to make £1 profit is actually pretty decent
no bro.. I am talking about powersellers who already have thousands of feedback.

and no 1£ profit on 20£ sale is not decent. no just no.
Old 09-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

If they are a power seller then its all automated.

£1 is then workable when you sell enough

Even power sellers still need feedback to help them rank and help offset negative sales.

That is just the way eBay is I am afraid. Its been like that for years.
Old 09-13-2016
Radfele

1£ is not workable on 20£. have you ever sold on ebay?

1 return case or one missing item cancels out your daily profit..

and this is electronic items were talking about

and why would you take such risks to make 1£ on 20£.. these people dont pay vat or import charges.. if they did they would be making huge minuses.. why take the risks for 1£
Old 09-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

You are missing the point entirely...

Its not done for profit on this item. Its done to build up sales and feedback so that other items that they sell that they make more profit on get ranked higher

I know that because I do sell on eBay a lot of use tactics very similar myself.

That is how business works on eBay
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
Play (09-13-2016), rsot (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMele View Post
no bro.. I am talking about powersellers who already have thousands of feedback.

and no 1£ profit on 20£ sale is not decent. no just no.
Also keeps their account active too - in spite of feedback - keeps listings up
Old 09-13-2016

Longevity: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post

LOL... what?? Not a chance.
Old 09-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by idds View Post
Not a chance of what? that it's possible....A LOT of people do this, I myself will sell certain items at breaking price....just to get sales, generate traffic, and feedback. You think the Chinese sellers can afford to sell an item for $0.99 cents and make a profit?
Old 09-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Not a chance of what? that it's possible....A LOT of people do this, I myself will sell certain items at breaking price....just to get sales, generate traffic, and feedback. You think the Chinese sellers can afford to sell an item for $0.99 cents and make a profit?
Much agreed, I have a bunch of lower cost cheap items that I sell solely to generate feedback and make my account look better.

Maybe 20 Quid is on the higher side but it depends on what else they are selling and their situation. They could also have an enormous amount of product and just want to start liquidating it to break even. Don't know about everyone else but I get my products by the pallet. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move stuff. Sometimes I even sell at loss. Part of the nature of business.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
colie72 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
100% chance. Lots of people do it
Old 09-14-2016

What I meant by not a chance is that I would never do something like selling ultra cheap stuff to generate feedback, not only do I lose money but I have to spend a ton of time losing money? That sounds like a fail strategy to me. If you have to resort to loss leading then maybe the wrong products are being sold.

My exclude list for products usually starts with whatever the Chinese tsunami is pumping.
Old 09-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

The point is the money you loose on the products that you sell on volume is more than off set by the higher prices higher profit items

If you take this example

Case 1
Sell 100 items @ £2 for a 20p loss to generate feedback and help rankings - Total loss £20

Sell 10 items @ £200 for £40 profit each to make profit - Total profit £400

Total Profit = £380

Case 2
Sell 15 of the same items as case 1, but this time @ £3 for a £1 profit. Much lower volume sold but at a total profit of £15

Because less ranking is now being generate on your account you now only sell 4 items @ £200 for £40 profit each to make profit - Total profit £160

Total profit = £175

In case 2 you make profit on all items sold but overall profit is down. I aim to maximise overall profit sometimes at the loss of profit on individual items so use case 1 for my pricing model

This is a very basic demonstration of how eBay works and why people sell items for a loss (this is not the only reason people sell items for a loss though)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
colie72 (09-20-2016), Play (09-14-2016), vogeltron (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016

I understand the strategy, that was implicit. I just disagree with the idea behind it.

I don't really sell anything under $10 to begin with, just not worth the effort to procure it. You present your case with a container ship's worth of assumptions, with the ebay ranking being at the bow, which is something there is minimal factual data on to map against.

My experience with ebay is different, lacking facts, it's derived by inference. They dole out sales depending on a host of measures, and your placement is being modified virtually real time. For example, when I see a negative feedback, almost instantly sales drop, or a host of other metrics that indicate the same pattern get the same net result, and the inverse to boost sales.

Ebay glass ceiling's sellers, and its very hard to break past those tiers regardless of what you sell at a loss. I have experimented with it... just cut your listings in half and you will have virtually the same amount of revenue. I've tried it.

There are as many strategies to develop a store, this one ignores the kinds of sales you really want, and building a customer base around them. It's like giving away ice cream at a car dealer... lots of fat people look at the cars but little in the way of useful customers.
Old 09-15-2016
MU

Longevity: 45%

I'm so glad I have no nickle and dime fools in my niche.
Old 09-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

I understand the strategy, that was implicit. I just disagree with the idea behind it.

I don't really sell anything under $10 to begin with, just not worth the effort to procure it. You present your case with a container ship's worth of assumptions, with the ebay ranking being at the bow, which is something there is minimal factual data on to map against.

My experience with ebay is different, lacking facts, it's derived by inference. They dole out sales depending on a host of measures, and your placement is being modified virtually real time. For example, when I see a negative feedback, almost instantly sales drop, or a host of other metrics that indicate the same pattern get the same net result, and the inverse to boost sales.

Ebay glass ceiling's sellers, and its very hard to break past those tiers regardless of what you sell at a loss. I have experimented with it... just cut your listings in half and you will have virtually the same amount of revenue. I've tried it.

There are as many strategies to develop a store, this one ignores the kinds of sales you really want, and building a customer base around them. It's like giving away ice cream at a car dealer... lots of fat people look at the cars but little in the way of useful customers.
It very much depends. The items I sell at zero or no profit are almost guaranteed positive feedback and I do free shipping. So it boosts my metrics up for all the DSR ratings. So heaven forbid I do get a bad review or low DSRs on one of my other items it isn't as big of a deal. If you have ever been restricted for low DSR for whatever reason this strategy really helps. Because a 5 Star from a $8 item counts the same as a 5 star from a $150 item.

There are so many different categories and what not on eBay so much is about what you list. Like one of the other Members said I have a niche so its not really a problem unless someone just has massive quantity they need to dump. My customers are usually one and done so customer loyalty etc means nothing to me. It is all about playing eBays game. Plus I like seeing my feedback number go higher.
JamesNorth101 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
So it boosts my metrics up for all the DSR ratings. So heaven forbid I do get a bad review or low DSRs on one of my other items it isn't as big of a deal. If you have ever been restricted for low DSR for whatever reason this strategy really helps. Because a 5 Star from a $8 item counts the same as a 5 star from a $150 item.
This makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-18-2016

Longevity: 51%

i am sure these sellers build their feedback's first than rock and roll
this is kind of strategy
Old 09-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB View Post
i am sure these sellers build their feedback's first than rock and roll
this is kind of strategy
You have to have a strategy for how you sell on eBay. I use to be anti buyer return guy since I sell clothing through my store. Was missing out on the Top Rated Discounts. Found out I could add the return policy needed but also asses a restocking to deter buyer from purchasing then just sending back. It has worked out very good thus far. eBay allows me to waive the restocking fee so on the few items I got back as long I could sell as new I usually just let it go.

It really is a game with eBay and for those sellers that have been around get a game plan going. Everyone's is different but there is a rhyme and reason as to why many people do the things the do.
colie72 (09-20-2016)