Hacked eBay Account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 12-11-2022

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 45%
Default Hacked eBay Account

My 10+ year old stealth account got hacked the other day while I was traveling out of the country for 3 weeks. My account racked up ~$6k if sales. The hacker withdrew all the sales proceeds and canceled all the orders. After numerous email complaint from buyers asking about their order, I reported to eBay about the hacked. eBay then froze my account today. Understanding that this is a stealth account, I can part with it and move on, BUT will I be required to pay the ~$6k? ...as I'm worried that my personal bank account is linked and eBay might/will charge it. What are your suggestions at this point? Has anyone faced this situation before?

Last edited by venum; 12-11-2022 at 10:36 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-12-2022

Longevity: 13%
Default Re: Hacked eBay Account

Wait so he hacked your bank account too??
Old 12-12-2022

Activity: 88%
Longevity: 46%

the responsibility lies with whoever owns the bank account where the money went to
Old 12-12-2022

Longevity: 27%

Didn't happen as described.

Firstly you weren't hacked, you gave away your log in details. Review your security procedures immediately.

Secondly, to withdraw the monies they changed the bank account. They didn't do this unless they hacked your email account too and bypassed the mandatory hold - and you want us to believe they cancelled the orders too. Nah, didn't happen, why would they cancel orders they never intended to fulfil, they're scammer after all.

Thirdly, if they did do this then your personal bank account is no longer attached so why worry.

Sorry, I'm not buying this tale at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (12-12-2022), Camaro2SS (12-12-2022), Roy3805 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022

Longevity: 56%

What I’m hearing is you are wondering how you can keep the £6k with it being stealth. Not possible the details are stealth but your bank account isnt!
The Following User Says Thank You to 175tom For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 39%

Your story sounds super fishy! OP pretty much admitted to committing fraud on eBay. This is WHY honest sellers like myself and others get punished by eBay because we are lumped together with the rest of the fruadsters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro2SS For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forum OP - all the best as you master stealth

Old 12-12-2022

it might be fishy but theoretically it is possible to replace bank and withdraw

if you get access to an account now which has low balance , you replace bank , after 48 hours it is ready to withdraw

you sell items , withdraw to new bank every day or once a week and you could withdraw 6000 this way

if the account is established with recent selling history it would work
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
it might be fishy but theoretically it is possible to replace bank and withdraw

if you get access to an account now which has low balance , you replace bank , after 48 hours it is ready to withdraw

you sell items , withdraw to new bank every day or once a week and you could withdraw 6000 this way

if the account is established with recent selling history it would work
Nope, as I said above you need access to the email address because the new account/change has to be verified. You also need to go through the micro deposit procedures too followed by the usual funds hold. This isn't Adyens first rodeo, they know how to manage security surrounding bank account changes. No different to what Amazon have been doing for as long as I can remember.

There is no way a hacker could replace a bank account and disburse to it in 48 hours, particularly if we're to believe that for some crazy reason they thought cancelling the bogus sales would be a good idea and assist their 'home and dry' approach.

In the unlikely even this tale is true, does anyone really believe they didn't check their email for three week whilst away from home? I don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022

Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,045 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

I recall AMZN has a policy,before you want to replace an existing bank account with a new bank account,you must first tell AMZN what is the account number of the bank you want to replace.
This policy is put in place when one third party AMZN seller ex employee replaced the bank account with a new one and siphoned off $80k ,when the seller found out,AMZN refused to tell him what is the new bank account the ex employee used to steal that much money.
(come to think of it,an ex can still steal if he knows the bank account he wants to replace if he worked in some capacity and knows the account number)

Understanding that this is a stealth account, I can part with it and move on, BUT will I be required to pay the ~$6k? ...as I'm worried that my personal bank account is linked and eBay might/will charge it.
-----------
your bank account must have been replaced by his bank account,so how can MP or Ebay access an account which is no longer linked?

Ebay/Paypal has ways to trace how a hacker or owner accesses his account,when an Ebayer filed UA unauthorised transaction claiming it aint him who bought an item ,like reveiwing ISP,his IP address ,ebay/Paypal cookie??

Quote:
I changed bank details a number of times , there are no special security problems there apart from disbursement being disabled for 1-2 days

it is even possible to exchange bank account through chat with MP rep without knowing original account number and without access to old mobile number
Could it be they can tell you are the owner of the account ,when you log into your account?
UNLESS you clean out the Ebay ccokie before you log in,hide your IP address,use a different ISP??or more?

the venue or payment processor cannot police everything,they are not our babysitter,if you write your password on a piece of paper or allow family member or staff to access your account or use your cell phone,pc ?
some buyer will blame it on his cat jumping on the keyboard and hit the buy button??

Quote:
the fixation with micro deposits is pointless , if someone have access to a bank account they can receive micro deposits

the actual security measures on ebay are not related to exchange of bank account but to analysis of selling activity , this is where they restrict and suspend depending on risk assessment

actual exchange of bank account is easy to do , I did at at least 8 times
if he has access to your bank account,of course he can see the micro deposits ,nothing can protect the seller if he allows someone to know his password,his ID,his bank account and his first born son.
when you changed your bank account,these are all your bank accounts,right?
we are talking about adding other people's bank account.

If the hacker replaced OP's bank account with another bank account and transferred the sales proceeds to that account,what is going to stop Ebay from contacting that bank and said the bank account owner has committed cyberfraud and ask to freeze the 6k deposit?
Worse,someone could file a police report !

----------
are all these bank accounts in your name?
are they all with the same banks?
Is there any reason why you want to jump from bank to bank?

Last edited by TGMT²; 12-12-2022 at 09:03 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 12-12-2022

let's assume worst case scenario there was access to computer , if there was access to browser with cookies rest is possible without email

it does not mean the story is real but if access to browser with cookies is possible rest can be easily done
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
I recall AMZN has a policy,before you want to replace an existing bank account with a new bank account,you must first tell AMZN what is the account number of the bank you want to replace.
This policy is put in place when one third party AMZN seller ex employee replaced the bank account with a new one and siphoned off $80k ,when the seller found out,AMZN refused to tell him what is the new bank account the ex employee used to steal that much money.
(come to think of it,an ex can still steal if he knows the bank account he wants to replace if he worked in some capacity and knows the account number)
That is correct, it is impossible to replace a bank account on Amazon without knowing details of the current one. Even then, they double down with micro deposits and holds.

I do not know exactly what Adyens process is only to say that you need access to the attached email address and the new account is verified via the normal procedure including micro-deposits again.

Maybe someone who has changed their bank account can confirm on way or the other if you need to know details of the outgoing account similar to Amazon.
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
let's assume worst case scenario there was access to computer
Lets assume it's as per the opening post.

Even in the wildest of PC access suggestions, lets assume that Adyen applied their normal security protocol including account verification.
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
Ebay/Paypal has ways to trace how a hacker or owner accesses his account,when an Ebayer filed UA unauthorised transaction claiming it aint him who bought an item ,like reveiwing ISP,his IP address ,ebay/Paypal cookie??
Indeed, this forum almost revolves around IP issues and how it affects log-in with their heightened security concerns.

US account logs in from China....you'd think ebay would fire off the normal 'we've sent you a code' message.

Roll on mandatory two step verification like Amazon are now introducing - it seems they're dropping the 'remember me' option and every time you log in you will be challenged, you'll need a mobile phone or an authenticator app every time. A pain in the a$$ but will ensure compromised accounts are a rarity.
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Lets assume it's as per the opening post.

Even in the wildest of PC access suggestions, lets assume that Adyen applied their normal security protocol including account verification.
I changed bank details a number of times , there are no special security problems there apart from disbursement being disabled for 1-2 days

it is even possible to exchange bank account through chat with MP rep without knowing original account number and without access to old mobile number
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:

Whatever.

That's not what ebay say is the process in their help pages so I'm going to run with credible policy rather than hearsay.

(you can get real world experiences, particularly surrounding micro-deposits by reading their own forums )
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Whatever.

That's not what ebay say is the process in their help pages so I'm going to run with credible policy rather than hearsay.

(you can get real world experiences, particularly surrounding micro-deposits by reading their own forums )
the fixation with micro deposits is pointless , if someone have access to a bank account they can receive micro deposits

the actual security measures on ebay are not related to exchange of bank account but to analysis of selling activity , this is where they restrict and suspend depending on risk assessment

Old 12-12-2022

Quote:

Nobody said it was difficult. There is a procedure in place to reduce fraud and this requires access to the email account and re-verification. Maybe even the attached phone number. Straight forward and fully understandable by normal sellers as a security measure by ebay. We wouldn't want it any other way would we?

Your experiences are your business, you'll forgive me if I take your claims that it can be done over the phone, contrary to what is explained in their help pages, with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, back to the OP. Still a lot of clarification required me thinks regardless of what the procedure is for swapping bank accounts.
Old 12-12-2022

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 41%

A lot of questionable scenarios occasionally pop up on this board which sound like a deliberate attempt to figure out whether the OP of the thread can get away with fraud.

As somebody else mentioned, this isn't what the forums for. Most of us are legit sellers banned and looking for a second chance which is what stealth provides / provided for many of us. We don't want to be thrown in with the same bunch of sellers that commit fraud.
Old 12-12-2022

Quote:
Nobody said it was difficult. There is a procedure in place to reduce fraud and this requires access to the email account and re-verification. Maybe even the attached phone number. Straight forward and fully understandable by normal sellers as a security measure by ebay. We wouldn't want it any other way would we?

Your experiences are your business, you'll forgive me if I take your claims that it can be done over the phone, contrary to what is explained in their help pages, with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, back to the OP. Still a lot of clarification required me thinks regardless of what the procedure is for swapping bank accounts.
the main security measure on ebay against account hacking is the requirement of access to cookies or mobile number , anyone without cookies would not be able to log in unless they can receive SMS
Old 12-13-2022

Quote:
the main security measure on ebay against account hacking is the requirement of access to cookies or mobile number , anyone without cookies would not be able to log in unless they can receive SMS
On that we are agreed, as I eluded to in post #14.

I simply can't see how a hacker can gain access to an account remotely without it triggering authentication and then go on to change a bank account, put the direct debit in place because they 100% will not disburse to it without one, make sales and disburse to it and then, for some incomprehensible reason cancel the sales knowing fine well ebay will immediately look to recover monies from the bogus bank account. Who in their right mind thinks a pro hacker would stupidly attract attention like that and initiate fund recovery? Not me.

I guess they could have added a credit card if the direct debit/micro deposits failed but unlikely IMO.

And all without the true account owner getting an email or a text.

Anyway, OP has said the account is disposable and as their own bank account is no longer attached they're in the clear. I think that's what they wanted to hear for now.

I guess the next question will be "Although the account is stealth, will ebay look to recover the monies from me knowing my legitimate bank details"
Old 12-13-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

OP venum hasnt posted on the thread as follow-up as yet...