setting up new ebay account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 01-18-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default setting up new ebay account

do you think it only matters when you set up a new ebay account concerning the ip address or everytime you log in??
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-18-2008

as long as the IP your using isn't linked with a suspended account you can keep using it for 1 account. If you have multiple accounts you need to change it, keep track of the IP each time you log in.

Another tip: never log into a suspended account with your new IP
Old 01-18-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreamer View Post
do you think it only matters when you set up a new ebay account concerning the ip address or everytime you log in??
Every time you login, your IP address is checked against other eBay accounts and saved. It's a great way to link two eBay accounts together.
Old 01-18-2008
Threadstarter  

so weird because i have done this often and never got suspended for linking EXCEPT when I created an account on the same IP. Another strange thing, I had an ebay account suspended and the associated email address my son was able to set up a new ebay account with.
Old 01-18-2008
Threadstarter  

so how can you do that without using dialup?? can I just go in and manually change the user IP address, I know my service provider has many available can I just manually change it???
Old 01-18-2008
Threadstarter  

I agree Jonas, they couldn't possibly track every single time you log in could they??
Old 01-18-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Yes they can. Every time you log in, your IP address is checked. If your Ip address matches another account, accounts COULD be linked. It's not always linked because there are large networks with many people using the same IP; but if information between accounts match, like the same user password, last name, street address. Your accounts could be linked.

No one knows how long eBay keeps IP records, but you can trust me its good amount of time.
Old 01-19-2008

Longevity: 95%

Can they really link you if you use the same password?
Old 01-19-2008
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rond100
Can they really link you if you use the same password?
Don't think so !!! IP is the main issue here to get linked. Thousands of users might have same password.
Old 01-19-2008

Default changing your ip

If you have cable like me, it is a little harder to change your i.p. address. But, there is an easy way to do it considering you have Vista.
It might work with XP, but i havn't tried it yet.
I just use to unplug my cable modem for about 30 seconds and plug it back in.
However, there is not much control in this method, and you're not sure which ip you will get.

You can also do the following for Vista, without even going near your cable modem, and you can change your ip in a better/safer method.

This method was tested with a cable modem, vista, and microsoft router.

1) Click on start
2) Click on network
3) Open residential gateway device (if it doesn't open, open using right click)
4) It will bring up a new webpage asking for your router password, login
5) Notice your ip address on the main page
6) Click on 'local area network settings' on the right
7) You'll see device name, ip address, subnet mask, etc
8) Change your device name to something generic, like mshome (this makes your device less personal and harder to track)
9) Below you will see a dhcp starting address, and ending address. you can leave it as is or change it. Some numbers can't be changed or it will give you an error. You can play around with this however. I only changed the middle numbers (example: starting : 123.xxx.x.1 ending: 123.xxx.x.199)
The x's were only changed to prevent errors. I was able to change these numbers without any problems. Also if you do the unplug modem for 30 seconds method, it simply puts your ip address within those starting/ending numbers. so by changing the starting/ending numbers, you get a totally different ip.
10) For added security, i also changed my ip address on this page to something different. I used the same numbers 123.xxx.x.199 but changed the .199 to something larger than the ending .199. So my ip is actually different than any other assigned ip given to your network. I did this for a couple reasons, I use the laptop for my ebay stuff, and my other devices in the house can be assigned an ip address that never matches my laptop.
11) You can also change the lease time for your ip on this page. I think the default is 2 weeks, but you can go as low as 15 minutes for a new ip.
12) Click 'apply' and it should restart your modem automatically and set your new ip settings/address.

All this is done without touching your cable modem. Try it on different routers, ec. Like i said, this was tested on Vista with a cable modem and microsoft router.

Oh, and I refuse to go back to dialup, so I am constantly finding new and better ways for cable ip changing.
Old 01-19-2008

Longevity: 95%

Good advice, Christian.. Makes things easier 4 pc dummies like me.. (btw-I've got the whole yellow book collection for dummies) Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008
Threadstarter  

question. If you have 2 paypal and many ebay ids but created under different ips but use the same ips to log in, etc. then what?? I am not understanding how you can change your ip everytime you log in other than using dial up.
Old 01-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreamer View Post
question. If you have 2 paypal and many ebay ids but created under different ips but use the same ips to log in, etc. then what?? I am not understanding how you can change your ip everytime you log in other than using dial up.
if you try my ip method above, you can change your ip everytime if you wanted. it would be as easy as typing which ip you want to use for each account. the only thing is that you would have to do this each time before you switched to your other account.