eBay Closed My Account After 40 Days For Defect rate Above 5% - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 02-09-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default eBay Closed My Account After 40 Days For Defect rate Above 5%

On October 26, 2014 my friend/helper left nine packages in her car for eight days due to an oversight causing them to arrive late. These packages were mailed on November 5, 2014 and all of the domestic packages arrived by November 10. This brought my defect rate from below 2%, where it has historically been since I started selling on eBay in August 2004, to 6.32%, or 27 out of 427.

These nine defects all occurring on October 26 caused PayPal to freeze my funds until packages arrived plus three days and caused eBay to lower my selling limits from 2530 items and/or $109,000 to 540 items and/or $9300 minus sales (about $2000 during January with only a single defect for a returned package that the customer changed her mind about). I previously had 2530 listings valued at over $66,000.

On January 5 I spoke with Supervisor Patti and was told that if I continued selling that the restrictions would be lifted after about 114 more transactions. I had 81 transactions during January, but on February 2, eBay ended all of my listings and closed my account in spite of my maintaining a good selling record with only a single defect in January and three during December.

Also to be noted is that on January 30, 2015 eBay stopped counting defects over the past three months due to my transactions for the months of November, December and January falling below 400, which lowered my defect rate to 4.14% placing me in the Above Standard category again; however, it was again lowered to the three-month threshold on February 2, causing my defect rate to rise to 6.32%, in spite of not having 400 transactions.

I have been a Top Rated Silver Star Power Seller on eBay since August 2004 with over $100,000 in sales from 6523 transactions so I was surprised that they would close my account without giving me time to improve my defect rate. I had 27 defects, 18 of which were "Items Did Not Arrive" although all 18 were shown to have arrived within nine days to around 13 days; eight items "Not As Described", but several of these were customers having changed their mind and taking advantage of my 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed policy allowing any customer to return any item for any reason, although some did not understand they could not list the item as "Not As Described or Damaged" to take advantage of this policy.

I also had six negative and two neutral feedbacks out of 890 total over the previous 12 months, but only the last two Neutrals were still being counted a defects, which is why my feedback rating remained at 99% for the year.

Here's the email that eBay sent me on February 2 letting me know why all of my listings were ended and my account closed.

Hi Lee,
We want to let you know that you haven’t met the minimum requirements to sell on eBay and your seller level is Below Standard in the US program. As such, you won't be able to list and sell items on eBay anymore.

Selling standards are in place to ensure that sellers deliver a great customer experience to their buyers. They measure whether buyers were satisfied with your items and your customer service.

When you don’t meet the minimum requirements for selling, you are creating experiences that erode confidence and drive buyers away.

If you had any active listings, they've now been ended, and any selling fees paid for those items will be credited to you.

If you've recently sold items that you still need to fulfill or ship, do so promptly. You'll still be able to see any recently sold items in My eBay, send and receive messages, and of course, buy items on eBay.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-09-2015

Longevity: 54%
Default Re: eBay Closed My Account After 40 Days For Defect rate Above 5%

They gave you the soft ban...they didnt like your business structure so they yanked your selling privileges but still let you buy. It sucks when they do that and most of the time theres nothing you can do about it.
Old 02-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

They want you to spend money but no longer want you to make money...

Sorry for your headaches. Best suggestion is to learn stealth and try again.
Old 02-09-2015

Activity: 16%
Longevity: 70%

Is it just my Imagination but does it seem like Ebay U.S. is Stricter then Ebay UK? I read alot of sellers on here who alot of stick from Ebay U.S. it seems
Old 02-09-2015

Activity: 29%
Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabe View Post
Is it just my Imagination but does it seem like Ebay U.S. is Stricter then Ebay UK? I read alot of sellers on here who alot of stick from Ebay U.S. it seems
UK has it tougher.

Old 02-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabe View Post
Equally evil.

Equally evil.

Old 02-09-2015

Longevity: 61%

its unbelievable how they can yank the rug right underneath your feet!
Old 02-09-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 53%

Thanks everyone for the show of support, which is exactly the opposite of what I received when I posted this on the ebay forums and was promptly banned from posting further after a day. It's my opinion that ebay purges smaller sellers for minor infractions right before they lay off their workforce, which last happened in 2012 when they laid off 2.5% of their workforce and which has has just been announced that they will lay off another 7% of their entire workforce by the end of March and spin off PayPal. I have decided to list on Shopify, Bonanza and Etsy for now.

"EBay plans to cut 2,400 jobs and unload its business unit that helps retailers manage their online shopping operations. The news came as eBay made peace with investor activist Carl Icahn by naming one of his allies as a board member. Here are the key points about the shakeup Wednesday and the company’s fourth-quarter earnings.

What you need to know: EBay EBAY -0.31% confirmed reports from last month that it would eliminate thousands of jobs by saying it would slash its workforce by 2,400 positions, or 7%. The restructuring comes ahead of the company’s pending spin-off of online payments service PayPal into a separate, publicly-traded company."

EBay to cut 2,400 jobs, unload enterprise business - Fortune