eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   How to change IP address if you have a CABLE MODEM connected to your NIC (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/12406-how-change-ip-address-if-you-have-cable-modem-connected-your-nic.html)

Vicvelcro 08-01-2009 03:24 AM

How to change IP address if you have a CABLE MODEM connected to your NIC

To begin with, this applies to cable modems connected via the ethernet adapter directly.
DOES NOT APPLY TO USB CONNECTIONS. DOES NOT APPLY TO MODEM CONNECTED THROUGH ROUTER. DOES NOT APPLY TO WIRELESS MODEM.
If you plug your modem into your PC via USB, stop doing that. You lose speed and you give away secrets.

Your cable modem gets IP based on the MAC of what it is connected TO, not the MAC of the modem itself.
If your ISP has assigned you a STATIC IP address, you're stuck with it. It's not common for them to do that, though.

If you are looking for the walkthrough for cable modem connected to router:
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...ble-modem.html

[begin modem/nic]
01a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and write your current ip address down.
02a. Change the MAC ID for the NIC (Network Interface Card).
02b. You need an application that will change your NIC MAC, unless your hardware already supports MAC changing.
If you use a windows PC, get Mac MakeUp. For the moment, you can get it from me at http://tinyurl.com/n6du3a
If you use an Apple computer, I can't help you. But somebody probably can. Or maybe yer old pal Google.
02c. So, you just put MacMakeUp.exe on your desktop or anywhere you like. No install needed.
03a. Double-Click MacMakeUp.exe and you will see a dropdown list of every network device in your computer.
Some of these may be items you removed but did not delete the drivers for.
04a. Hit the arrow for the dropdown and find the adapter you are using with your modem.
05a. Now, look down a bit and see the line for New address. It shows the MAC currently assigned to that NIC.
06a. Change the last 4 digits manually or click on Generate Random radio button. Then click Change radio button.
If you want to spoof a NIC from a different company than the one who manufactured your NIC, you can.
On the dropdown for Manufacturer, pick something funny. I like to use German manufacturers. Change the last 4 digits.
07a. Regardless of what you did for 06a, you may see a message telling you it couldn't reset the NIC. If not, you're done.
If so, you need to do something about it. Depending on your windows version, the process will be different.
Mainly, you need to go to your Network Connections panel. When you get there, disable then immediately re-enable
the NIC we just played with. Or shutdown and restart your system. Whichever is easier for you.
08a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and compare it to what you got from 01a. It should be different.
If it is still the same, either you missed a step or your IP is STATIC.
[end modem/nic]

NOTES:
001 Properly done, this new MAC will be remembered if and when you restart your PC. I would check this the first time around, just so you will know if your system supports the persistance of NIC MAC. If it doesn't, you'll have to run MacMakeUp every time you reboot.

002 You can go back to a previous IP by changing your MAC back to what it was for that IP, up to a point. After a few hours, you can't get it back. Some ISPs hold it in reserve for 24 hours. Some for 1 hour.

003 Every network device has a MAC address. Do not set the NIC MAC to be identical to any other MAC in your system. You will get collisions which may freeze your system or may cause your modem to go into a reboot loop. It's very annoying.

Vicvelcro 09-01-2009 01:42 AM

Woops!

I forgot to add step 07b

07b. Reboot your cable modem.

IDK 09-01-2009 04:02 AM

OMFG! IT WORKED! :hail:

I followed everything EXACTLY, but a couple of things.

1. After step 7, the program said "shutting down NIC" then appeared to freeze. I left it alone for almost an hour, and it never updated, but the hour glass was up the whole time as if it was doing something. Finally I just decided to restart my PC, and when I went back to check the IP, IT HAD CHANGED!!

2. The first thing I did after restarting was start up macmakeup and the spoof MAC was still in the box, so that means it's a permanent change right? Are there any precautions I need to perform to insure that it doesn't go back to my old IP?

Note: For some reason the link you posted wouldn't extract so I had to find my own link. I'll find it and post it if needed.

Thanks a bunch man, now I can get back to eBay, and start earning!

Vicvelcro 09-01-2009 04:12 AM

Step 7 does cover the possibility that some hardware won't reset. It isn't an issue with the application. It is a hardware restriction. If the app doesn't complete within 10 seconds, the adapter or the PC will need to be reset.

If the spoof MAC shows, the change is permanent unless you manually change it again. The only precaution is that reinstalling the OS or moving the adapter to another machine will cause the NIC to revert to its factory MAC. If you keep the same machine and the same OS, under the same user login, you are fine. You might want to run MACMakeUp under each user login just to be sure it 'takes' each time. You may be able to set a different MAC to auto load for each user login. That will depend on and be specific to your system. Works for some, not for others.

I believe the extract problem is due to your compression software. I used winzip 12.1 which is pretty new with a new algorithm. If you used something lame like winrar or 7zip, those just can't handle the sophisticated compression. I'll consider recompressing the app with something ancient, for those who don't want to modernize.

I'm happy that you're happy. Now get to work <grin>.

IDK 09-01-2009 04:34 AM

^OK. I honestly thought this wasn't gonna work, (because NOTHING else has, trust me) so I actually did this on the (USER Account) that I got suspended on. Of course I was gonna make a new profile for the new account, so to be clear I will need to change the MAC again for that new account, which will give me 2 IP's correct?

As far as the zip goes, yes I use winrar, so that explains the message. Thanks again man, I almost feel like I owe you money lol

Vicvelcro 09-01-2009 06:54 AM

A contribution to the Vic Velcro Universal Beer Fund won't be refused <lol>.

In re: your question about 2 IPs and multiple user logins - your system/OS/hardware may be one global IP when you change the NIC MAC. OR OR OR it may be that the NIC MAC change will only apply to the user login where you chose that.

On my system, if I use MACMakeUp on user 1 for mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 it will apply to user 1. If I choose mac 11:22:33:44:55:66 for login 2, it ony applies for user 2. So, if I fast user switch from 2 back to 1 and then reboot the modem, it goes back to the IP for 00:11:22:33:44:55. This may not be the same for you, so test it to find out. Open a cmd and run ipconfig /all to see what the NIC MAC is, then switch user and run it again to see what you see. If you are lucky like me, you can hardly mess up the IP changing when switching user.

bolt 07-24-2010 09:37 PM

This works just like a magic!!!
Great program!
Changing IPs just like :juggle:

ProzacDragon 09-07-2010 08:20 AM

What am i doing wrong???

Hi Guys

I have followed all the steps above exactly. I am hard wired to the modem.

However, everytime i assign a new MAC address i get a totally new IP address. It does not even hold it for 5 mins.
When i try to go back to a previously assigned MAC address the IP is new yet again. :doh:

Am i doing something wrong? Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

PS would it revert to an old IP address if i did this via a router???

philly387 09-07-2010 10:17 AM

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. IP addresses are supposed to stick with the MAC address for 24 hours from what I have heard. If you do it by router, all you have to do is change the mac address in the router and don't have to touch your NIC.

ProzacDragon 09-07-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philly387 (Post 164431)
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. IP addresses are supposed to stick with the MAC address for 24 hours from what I have heard. If you do it by router, all you have to do is change the mac address in the router and don't have to touch your NIC.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go pick up a router and see if doing it that way makes any difference.

But i do agree...from what ive read in here i was under the impression that the MAC address would stick to the IP address.

philly387 09-07-2010 01:44 PM

Maybe they do something different over there where you are at though. But I figured it would be the same no matter where you are at in the world.

drebintech38 12-13-2010 10:24 PM

When using MacMakeup, after you generate or make a new Mac address, click the "Change" button next to the "Generate Random" button. Your PC will try to acquire a new network address then tell you there is little to no connectivity. At that point power cycle your modem and wait 5-10 mins. Plug back in and wait for a connection. Then Start/Run/ type cmd/ (your username here/ipconfig/renew) and you should have a new IP with the MAC you chose.

This is what works for me.

Waldo 12-13-2010 10:44 PM

does any have any tips or a step process to change the mac for a apple computer? Thanks

2hip2quit 07-08-2011 10:29 AM

PRAISE B!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked! it worked !!! it worked.....I had to download a bit different program...SMAC....but it did indeed work. Many thanks!

angeldoze 07-09-2011 03:33 PM

omg thanks so much, finally something that works :) :)

mikita425 07-24-2011 12:38 AM

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

MacMakeup is awesome! Best damn magic trick I've ever seen.

UnderBites08 08-19-2011 09:25 AM

someone help with my macbook on this

RomexTM 09-23-2011 01:11 PM

How do you do this on a Macbook?

virgilio27 09-25-2012 04:49 PM

Hi Guys

I have followed all the steps above exactly. I am hard wired to the modem.

However, everytime i assign a new MAC address i get a totally new IP address. It does not even hold it for 5 mins.
When i try to go back to a previously assigned MAC address the IP is new yet again.

Am i doing something wrong? Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

PS would it revert to an old IP address if i did this via a router???

GreenBean 09-25-2012 05:43 PM

@virgilio27

Double check that your IP is not static.

Nothing (hardly) changes these.

:juggle:

HealthyStealth 02-19-2013 07:29 AM

Sorry if this sounds daft but not really computer savvy.

I have a DSL broadband wireless modem here in the UK, do I still need to change the mac address having one of these modems?

Also thinking of setting up roughly 5 different ebay/palpal/windows user accounts (1 over each).
Will the seperate mac address be an issue for each of the different user accounts and need changed for each one?

Thanks

hapajenn1 02-23-2013 08:58 PM

I have used 2 services: timewarner high speed Internet, and Verizon high speed Internet -- both require routers or a combo machine (router and modem in one box), how the hell do you directly connect modem to cable ethernet -- which Internet Provider? The only time I've seen this is in college dorm rooms where everyone has a T3 line shared by all.