How to change IP address if you have a ROUTER and a CABLE MODEM - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 08-01-2009
Vicvelcro

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Lightbulb How to change IP address if you have a ROUTER and a CABLE MODEM

To begin with, this applies to cable modems connected via the ethernet port to a router.
DOES NOT APPLY TO USB CONNECTIONS. DOES NOT APPLY TO MODEM CONNECTED DIRECT TO NETWORK ADAPTER.
If you plug your modem into your PC via USB, stop doing that. You lose speed and you give away secrets.

Your cable modem gets IP based on the MAC of what it is connected TO, not the MAC of the modem itself.
If your ISP has assigned you a Static IP address, you're stuck with it. It's not common for them to do that, though.

If you are looking for the walkthrough for Cable Modem Connected directly to NIC:
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...-your-nic.html

[begin modem/router]
01a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and write your current ip address down.
02a. Change the MAC ID for the ROUTER.
02b. Open your browser and enter the information to access the web-setup to your router (usually http://192.168.1.1)
You can find this in your router manual or by viewing the status of your ethernet. It is your default gateway.
02c. You may get a popup asking for login name and password. If you didn't change it, try admin admin or admin and blank.
Different routers have different factory default login/password. Google 'router default password <your brand>'.
03a. Look around in the setup for the option for MAC address. Some routers have many MAC addresses. you need WAN MAC.
If you only find one MAC setting, obviously that's the one you want.
04a. Do NOT choose to clone any MAC already in your system. Change the numbers in the last 2 pairs as you wish.
MAC is in this format - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx - and the first 4 sets need to stay as they are. The last pairs change.
You can make those any hex numbers between 00-FF. Set this manually. Don't CLONE anything.
05a. After you change, you need to save the settings. So click save.
06a. You can either reboot the router or you can Release DHCP then Renew DHCP from the router, if you see the option.
07a. Regardless of what you did for 06a, unplug and replug your MODEM while the router is still doing it's thing.
08a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and compare it to what you got from 01a. It should be different.
If it is still the same, either you missed a step or your IP is STATIC.
[end modem/router]

NOTES:
001 You can go back to a previous IP by changing your MAC back to what it was for that IP, up to a point. After a few hours, you can't get it back. Some ISPs hold it in reserve for 24 hours. Some for 1 hour. Orion has a great thread going for this. See http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...d-numbers.html

002 Different routers put the MAC on different pages. It's in there somewhere.

003 Every network device has a MAC address. Do not set the router MAC to be identical to any other MAC in your system. You will get collisions which may freeze your system or may cause your modem to go into a reboot loop. It's very annoying. It may lock you out of your router.

004 For DSL, go see ebayhateluv's excellent thread here http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...p-address.html

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 08-01-2009 at 09:17 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
5MPdew (05-22-2010), aspkin (08-01-2009), BiN4RY (08-01-2009), bluemoon999 (09-01-2009), Cachufleta (01-18-2010), mazin_o (06-03-2010), SevnSins (08-25-2009), sia (06-18-2010), stealth (08-01-2009), trig (08-15-2009), waterproof (07-27-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-01-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 3%
Longevity: 100%

Good guide Vic, simple and to the point.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009

Longevity: 95%

Why is it that u can only change the last pair of numbers? I watched a howto video on youtube and they said the same thing. I my self have changed all the numbers like i got 02:01:A3:4D:FC:B1 i will change it to like 04:01:01:01:01:01 and it works fine i get a new ip address. I know the first 2 digits has to be even #'s like 2-4-6-8 but the others can be anything from 1-9 and a-f.

I was even able to change my ip before and got a ip from another state i dont know how but i did it showed i was like 500 miles from my hometown
Old 08-01-2009
Vicvelcro

The first 4 sets identify the brand and model and version of the unit. If you pick random numbers and the first 4 sets don't match real equipment, they may boot you for being 'shifty'.

For instance, all netgear wg111v2 wireless usb adapters begin with 01:14:6c:xx:xx:xx - the xx right after 6c is related to manufacture date and IS a specific range.

So, leave the first xx:xx:xx:xx alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
trig (08-15-2009)
Old 08-01-2009

Longevity: 87%

Thanks vic helps a lot way better than using dial-up
Old 08-01-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Very useful, thanks
Old 08-15-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

May the Force be with You my Wise Jedi!
Old 08-16-2009
Vicvelcro

Default Have a video to go with that

Take note that neither the router nor the modem were rebooted, yet a new IP was obtained. If done at normal speed without tutorial slowness, total time involved is 20 seconds. All steps from post one were followed except reboot.

doughboykilla might be liking that part.

For more information about the first half of the MAC address, follow the next link:
IEEE Registration Authority - IEEE OUI and Company_id Assignments

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 08-16-2009 at 08:48 AM.
OfficialGenius (10-27-2009)
Old 08-25-2009

Longevity: 90%
Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins
Talking

Thanks Vic.

I've been wearing the hell out of my G1 internet connection, so I could have a dynamic gateway. This works PERFECTLY. 3 new IPs in less than a minute.

Old 09-15-2009

Longevity: 84%
Default IP Question

I have two computers hooked up through a netgear router into the comcast modem. I checked and they both have the same ip address on IPBurger.
If I connect one directly to the modem, will that give me two different ip addresses?
Old 09-15-2009

Longevity: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcerouche View Post
If I connect one directly to the modem, will that give me two different ip addresses?
- You will still need to manipulate MAC addresses to get different IPs for different computers.

You will get the same external IP address when both computers turned on & hook to the same Router because DHCP assigns IPs based on Router's data. Router can hold one Mac address only. That's why you get same IP on both computers.

If you want to get a different IP for the 2nd computer, you will need to turn the 1st computer off or just don't use it to access ebay/paypal stuff, change the NIC MAC on the 2nd computer, clone it to the Router, reboot modem, it'll get a different IP.

Do the same step for the 1st computer if you ready to switch back to the other one.

The other alternative way is to use separate modems for different computers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluemoon999 For This Useful Post:
carache2014 (09-26-2014), cobber_gc (04-06-2011), surcerouche (09-15-2009)
Old 09-15-2009

Blue moon,
You are so helpful and your replies are always informative, please induldge me once more. I am a mom...no where near a techie, how (in layman's terms) can I
"change the NIC MAC on the 2nd computer, clone it to the Router" or can you send me the link.
I want to get back on ebay and amazon (after reading the Stealth Book, I am amped and ready to go,) however, I am stuck at the IP address part. I am thinking of just ordering a new (this will be my third) computer, or chucking it all and getting AOL.
Please help. =O)
Old 09-15-2009

Longevity: 89%

surcerouche, send you a PM.
Old 09-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Some modems can provide 2 IP addresses.

For devices that are capable: If there is a USB port on the modem itself, plug one PC into the USB socket of the modem. It will get an IP address. Then plug the modem to the router via ethernet as you normally would. The router-modem connection will give your other PC an IP address.

If your modem does not support this, you would need a different modem which does.
surcerouche (09-16-2009)
Old 09-16-2009

VicVelcro,
Thanks for that. As soon as I get home I will check my modem to see if that is possible. Before I left for work this morning, I checked the back of my router and went to the http://www.router place. I inputted my password and user name. The Firmware upgrade assistant asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I clicked the download button, but it took so long to download I would have been late to work. When I return home, I will do it again. Is that correct, should I have downloaded the upgrade and if so, what do I need to do after that. Any assistance would be great, as I stated previously, I am ready to get my -----accounts up and running but this IP/Mac stuff is the only thing stopping me and its like a thorn in my side.
Old 10-05-2009

Vic, I have a question. I checked my IP address on ipchicken and by using the CMD program "ipconfig" in MS DOS. I released my IP on my Verizon ActionTec router by releasing the IP (http://192.168.1.1) . my ipaddress in ipchicken has changed but still shows the same in the DOS command ipconfig. Is this safe to use ?
Old 10-06-2009
Vicvelcro

ipconfig tells you your local ethernet LAN IP. ipchicken tells you your internet IP (called WAN). ipchicken is the one you want to worry about. Your LAN IP doesn't matter, just your WAN.

Thus, from your above info, you are fine.
Old 10-06-2009
Vicvelcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcerouche View Post
Before I left for work this morning, I checked the back of my router and went to the http://www.router place. I inputted my password and user name. The Firmware upgrade assistant asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I clicked the download button, but it took so long to download I would have been late to work. When I return home, I will do it again. Is that correct, should I have downloaded the upgrade and if so, what do I need to do after that. Any assistance would be great, as I stated previously, I am ready to get my -----accounts up and running but this IP/Mac stuff is the only thing stopping me and its like a thorn in my side.
Unless your router was malfunctioning, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. It's probably fine to get it though. I've only had one auto-update that made things worse...
Old 01-17-2010

Longevity: 82%

I need some help if i have multiple wireless routers does each one have its own ip?
Old 01-18-2010

Longevity: 92%

Hey Powder, is there a way to do all this remotely? By operating the routers admin page from other comp. I know you have to reset the modem. But could be a workaround to change ip without physicall access to modem/router? Would be neat.....
Old 01-18-2010

Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I need some help if i have multiple wireless routers does each one have its own ip?
If they are all hooked up to the same modem at the same time, the WAN IP addresses will be the same. Although; if you connect 1 router to the modem at a time, you will have a unique IP for each router.

Example:
  • Router #1: 192.168.1.2
  • Router #2: 192.168.1.4
  • Router #3: 192.168.1.6
  • Router #4: 192.168.1.8
The Following User Says Thank You to SevnSins For This Useful Post:
OfficialGenius (02-05-2010)
Old 01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachufleta View Post
Hey Powder, is there a way to do all this remotely? By operating the routers admin page from other comp. I know you have to reset the modem. But could be a workaround to change ip without physicall access to modem/router? Would be neat.....
It's very easy to do this remotely, from within your house. Although; to be able to do this from outside your home, you would only be able to do it once. You would need to setup a VNC type application on each end, and then access your internal network that way. The problem with this is that as soon as you reset the modem, you will lose the connection to your network, and you would have no idea what the new IP address is, so that you could log back into the VNC application.