eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   How to change IP address if you have a ROUTER and a CABLE MODEM (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/12403-how-change-ip-address-if-you-have-router-cable-modem.html)

Vicvelcro 08-01-2009 12:57 AM

How to change IP address if you have a ROUTER and a CABLE MODEM

To begin with, this applies to cable modems connected via the ethernet port to a router.
DOES NOT APPLY TO USB CONNECTIONS. DOES NOT APPLY TO MODEM CONNECTED DIRECT TO NETWORK ADAPTER.
If you plug your modem into your PC via USB, stop doing that. You lose speed and you give away secrets.

Your cable modem gets IP based on the MAC of what it is connected TO, not the MAC of the modem itself.
If your ISP has assigned you a STATIC IP address, you're stuck with it. It's not common for them to do that, though.

If you are looking for the walkthrough for Cable Modem Connected directly to NIC:
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...-your-nic.html

[begin modem/router]
01a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and write your current ip address down.
02a. Change the MAC ID for the ROUTER.
02b. Open your browser and enter the information to access the web-setup to your router (usually http://192.168.1.1)
You can find this in your router manual or by viewing the status of your ethernet. It is your default gateway.
02c. You may get a popup asking for login name and password. If you didn't change it, try admin admin or admin and blank.
Different routers have different factory default login/password. Google 'router default password <your brand>'.
03a. Look around in the setup for the option for MAC address. Some routers have many MAC addresses. you need WAN MAC.
If you only find one MAC setting, obviously that's the one you want.
04a. Do NOT choose to clone any MAC already in your system. Change the numbers in the last 2 pairs as you wish.
MAC is in this format - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx - and the first 4 sets need to stay as they are. The last pairs change.
You can make those any hex numbers between 00-FF. Set this manually. Don't CLONE anything.
05a. After you change, you need to save the settings. So click save.
06a. You can either reboot the router or you can Release DHCP then Renew DHCP from the router, if you see the option.
07a. Regardless of what you did for 06a, unplug and replug your MODEM while the router is still doing it's thing.
08a. Goto IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and compare it to what you got from 01a. It should be different.
If it is still the same, either you missed a step or your IP is STATIC.
[end modem/router]

NOTES:
001 You can go back to a previous IP by changing your MAC back to what it was for that IP, up to a point. After a few hours, you can't get it back. Some ISPs hold it in reserve for 24 hours. Some for 1 hour. Orion has a great thread going for this. See http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...d-numbers.html

002 Different routers put the MAC on different pages. It's in there somewhere.

003 Every network device has a MAC address. Do not set the router MAC to be identical to any other MAC in your system. You will get collisions which may freeze your system or may cause your modem to go into a reboot loop. It's very annoying. It may lock you out of your router.

004 For DSL, go see ebayhateluv's excellent thread here http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...p-address.html

aspkin 08-01-2009 01:08 AM

Good guide Vic, simple and to the point.

Thanks!

doughboykilla 08-01-2009 01:27 AM

Why is it that u can only change the last pair of numbers? I watched a howto video on youtube and they said the same thing. I my self have changed all the numbers like i got 02:01:A3:4D:FC:B1 i will change it to like 04:01:01:01:01:01 and it works fine i get a new ip address. I know the first 2 digits has to be even #'s like 2-4-6-8 but the others can be anything from 1-9 and a-f.

I was even able to change my ip before and got a ip from another state i dont know how but i did it showed i was like 500 miles from my hometown :)

Vicvelcro 08-01-2009 01:44 AM

The first 4 sets identify the brand and model and version of the unit. If you pick random numbers and the first 4 sets don't match real equipment, they may boot you for being 'shifty'.

For instance, all netgear wg111v2 wireless usb adapters begin with 01:14:6c:xx:xx:xx - the xx right after 6c is related to manufacture date and IS a specific range.

So, leave the first xx:xx:xx:xx alone.

Werfella 08-01-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks vic helps a lot way better than using dial-up

BiN4RY 08-01-2009 07:20 PM

Very useful, thanks

trig 08-15-2009 12:52 PM

May the Force be with You my Wise Jedi!

Vicvelcro 08-16-2009 08:28 AM

Have a video to go with that

Take note that neither the router nor the modem were rebooted, yet a new IP was obtained. If done at normal speed without tutorial slowness, total time involved is 20 seconds. All steps from post one were followed except reboot.

doughboykilla might be liking that part.

For more information about the first half of the MAC address, follow the next link:
IEEE Registration Authority - IEEE OUI and Company_id Assignments

SevnSins 08-25-2009 10:03 PM

Thanks Vic.

I've been wearing the hell out of my G1 internet connection, so I could have a dynamic gateway. This works PERFECTLY. 3 new IPs in less than a minute.

:hail:

surcerouche 09-15-2009 09:06 AM

IP Question

I have two computers hooked up through a netgear router into the comcast modem. I checked and they both have the same ip address on Ipburger.
If I connect one directly to the modem, will that give me two different ip addresses?

bluemoon999 09-15-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surcerouche (Post 103994)
If I connect one directly to the modem, will that give me two different ip addresses?

- You will still need to manipulate MAC addresses to get different IPs for different computers.

You will get the same external IP address when both computers turned on & hook to the same Router because DHCP assigns IPs based on Router's data. Router can hold one Mac address only. That's why you get same IP on both computers.

If you want to get a different IP for the 2nd computer, you will need to turn the 1st computer off or just don't use it to access ebay/paypal stuff, change the NIC MAC on the 2nd computer, clone it to the Router, reboot modem, it'll get a different IP.

Do the same step for the 1st computer if you ready to switch back to the other one.

The other alternative way is to use separate modems for different computers. :ranger:

surcerouche 09-15-2009 11:39 AM

Blue moon,
You are so helpful and your replies are always informative, please induldge me once more. I am a mom...no where near a techie, how (in layman's terms) can I
"change the NIC MAC on the 2nd computer, clone it to the Router" or can you send me the link.
I want to get back on ebay and amazon (after reading the stealth book, I am amped and ready to go,) however, I am stuck at the IP address part. I am thinking of just ordering a new (this will be my third) computer, or chucking it all and getting AOL.
Please help. =O)

bluemoon999 09-15-2009 12:00 PM

surcerouche, send you a PM.

Vicvelcro 09-15-2009 04:46 PM

Some modems can provide 2 IP addresses.

For devices that are capable: If there is a USB port on the modem itself, plug one PC into the USB socket of the modem. It will get an IP address. Then plug the modem to the router via ethernet as you normally would. The router-modem connection will give your other PC an IP address.

If your modem does not support this, you would need a different modem which does.

surcerouche 09-16-2009 08:16 AM

VicVelcro,
Thanks for that. As soon as I get home I will check my modem to see if that is possible. Before I left for work this morning, I checked the back of my router and went to the http://www.router place. I inputted my password and user name. The Firmware upgrade assistant asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I clicked the download button, but it took so long to download I would have been late to work. When I return home, I will do it again. Is that correct, should I have downloaded the upgrade and if so, what do I need to do after that. Any assistance would be great, as I stated previously, I am ready to get my -----accounts up and running but this IP/Mac stuff is the only thing stopping me and its like a thorn in my side.:pout:

CLIVEP 10-05-2009 08:50 PM

Vic, I have a question. I checked my IP address on ipchicken and by using the CMD program "ipconfig" in MS DOS. I released my IP on my Verizon ActionTec router by releasing the IP (http://192.168.1.1) . my ipaddress in ipchicken has changed but still shows the same in the DOS command ipconfig. Is this safe to use ?

Vicvelcro 10-06-2009 11:45 PM

ipconfig tells you your local ethernet LAN IP. ipchicken tells you your internet IP (called WAN). ipchicken is the one you want to worry about. Your LAN IP doesn't matter, just your WAN.

Thus, from your above info, you are fine.

Vicvelcro 10-06-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surcerouche (Post 104137)
Before I left for work this morning, I checked the back of my router and went to the http://www.router place. I inputted my password and user name. The Firmware upgrade assistant asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I clicked the download button, but it took so long to download I would have been late to work. When I return home, I will do it again. Is that correct, should I have downloaded the upgrade and if so, what do I need to do after that. Any assistance would be great, as I stated previously, I am ready to get my -----accounts up and running but this IP/Mac stuff is the only thing stopping me and its like a thorn in my side.:pout:

Unless your router was malfunctioning, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. It's probably fine to get it though. I've only had one auto-update that made things worse...

bigmac 01-17-2010 11:58 PM

I need some help if i have multiple wireless routers does each one have its own ip?

Cachufleta 01-18-2010 12:54 AM

Hey Powder, is there a way to do all this remotely? By operating the routers admin page from other comp. I know you have to reset the modem. But could be a workaround to change ip without physicall access to modem/router? Would be neat.....

SevnSins 01-18-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac (Post 120284)
I need some help if i have multiple wireless routers does each one have its own ip?

If they are all hooked up to the same modem at the same time, the WAN IP addresses will be the same. Although; if you connect 1 router to the modem at a time, you will have a unique IP for each router.

Example:
  • Router #1: 192.168.1.2
  • Router #2: 192.168.1.4
  • Router #3: 192.168.1.6
  • Router #4: 192.168.1.8

SevnSins 01-18-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cachufleta (Post 120290)
Hey Powder, is there a way to do all this remotely? By operating the routers admin page from other comp. I know you have to reset the modem. But could be a workaround to change ip without physicall access to modem/router? Would be neat.....

It's very easy to do this remotely, from within your house. Although; to be able to do this from outside your home, you would only be able to do it once. You would need to setup a VNC type application on each end, and then access your internal network that way. The problem with this is that as soon as you reset the modem, you will lose the connection to your network, and you would have no idea what the new IP address is, so that you could log back into the VNC application.