eBay displayed ad related to google search in separatewindow? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 08-19-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default eBay displayed ad related to google search in separatewindow?

I had eBay open in one window, and was searching on google in another one. Almost immediately my eBay showed an advertisement of what I was searhcing on google. What are they doing now? do they have keyloggers? or are they getting information from google? flash cookies??
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-19-2009

Longevity: 85%

You don't have to be in the same window or doing a search on the ebay site itself for eBay to acknowledge your cookies and "supposedly" use them for your benefit.

That's how cookies work.

They claim they use cookies to maximize our surfing experience by giving us relevant search information when we all know they are used more often to invade our privacy.
Old 08-19-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Gmail is pretty good at ads too.
Old 08-19-2009

Longevity: 98%

Make sure before and after you go on an eBay account that cookies and local shared objects are cleared or at least kept separate.
Old 08-20-2009
Threadstarter  

well they are kept separate, I just never knew google kept cookies for searches.
Old 08-20-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Google keeps track of everything you do somewhere in their servers. Just in case you forget.
Old 08-20-2009
Threadstarter  

I'm on WIndows Vista and I cannot find the particular cookie in question. Anyone know exactly where to look? I'll keep researching, but if someone can point me in the right direction that'll be great.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009

Cookies are stored by your browser rather than the operating system, so if you run two different browsers you will have 2 different sets of cookies stored.

For internet explorer you can specify where you want them stored, to find where they are stored Click the tools menu in the menu bar at the top (or the tools button on the right) and select Internet Options. In the Browsing history section of the Internet options menu hit the Settings button. In the settings window it displays the 'current location' of the temporary files (including cookies)

For FireFox, go click on Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Show Cookies
Firefox stores your cookies in a plain text file located at (by default under XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default where xxxx is some random-appearing string.
Old 08-21-2009

Activity: 24%

Does that mean instead of using different user accounts you can just use different browsers to keep your Ebay accounts seperate?
Old 08-21-2009

I would not recommend that. Because IP address plays a more important role here. You know, people make mistakes sometimes, if you accidentally forget to change IP before logging in the other account, they are linked due to the same IP, it's too risky.
Old 08-21-2009

Don't you also have to worry about flash cookies if you were to use the same user account for more than one stealth account?

Do we know for sure they use flash cookies now or is it a precautionary measure?

In eBay Stealth it didn't say they know they use them for sure.
Old 08-26-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Changing browser does not protect against flash cookies. Only regular cookies. If you don't allow flash, the theory would be sound.

We KNOW they use flash cookies whenever flash cookies are available in a system. Thus, if you allow a flash object, ebay and PP expect to see one. If you allow it but remove it, they get nervous about you. If you simply never allow flash objects, you are covered completely - as regards flash objects.

Personal suggestion:
To everyone trying to finagle a method of 'pooling' emails and logins - all it takes is one little slip-up and you are done. Investing a few extra seconds to switch user login and IP is damned fine insurance against a moment of sleepy mis-clicking or home drunk from partying or any other potential human error. Let your machine be the layer between you and your own bad or weak habits. Why have the capability in your machine, if you try HARD not to use it? It's there, it's built in, and it's a no-brainer.

Analogy:
If you have a gate, a deadbolt lock, and alarm system, a dog, and a handgun - would it make any sense to sell the gun, kick the dog, leave the door open all night, and cancel the alarm subscription? Would you trust your safety to the gate on the far end of your property? You wouldn't shoot the lock, the alarm panel, and the dog then flush the gun down the toilet. I'm guessing you'd use EVERYTHING at your disposal. Now, apply that to your ecommerce.

Separate user accounts
Multiple IP addresses
Flash disabled
Stealth personal info
Separate email accounts - unforwarded
etc etc etc

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 08-26-2009 at 05:28 AM.