IP address not located near actual home - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 04-09-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne
Default IP address not located near actual home

I am just going through some steps of Stealth and noticed that any 'whats your IP' website that I go on, they all list the same IP address, all good but the location says another area from where I live
But I also noticed on one site it said, list of similar IP addresses and listed a load of IP addresses that were actually closer

Is this normal? or is it a problem?

Thanks guys
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-09-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Shouldn't be a problem, IDK why this happens sometimes, but it does. As I am in the USA my ip address states that I'm in a town 20-30min away "sometimes". I don't know why it does this.
Old 04-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem, IDK why this happens sometimes, but it does. As I am in the USA my ip address states that I'm in a town 20-30min away "sometimes". I don't know why it does this.

Could this be my ISP masking/hiding my actual IP address? Heard people talking of something similar!
Old 04-09-2011
Red X

I think its just your Internet Service Provider. You have nothing to worried about. You can call, and ask them why it states you're 80 miles away, and they should have an explanation for you. Everything should be fine...............
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ShadyOne (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I think its just your Internet Service Provider. You have nothing to worried about. You can call, and ask them why it states you're 80 miles away, and they should have an explanation for you. Everything should be fine...............
Ok, I havn't gone about changing it yet either, so this IP address is linked to suspended accounts. Do you think it will be harder for me to change it?
Old 04-09-2011
Red X

Depends on if you have a router and modem, or all in 1 device. Some are dynamic meaning the ip address changes, which isn't hard if you unplug everything, wait awhile, and turn everything back on, if nothing changes you might have Static IP address, so you'd have to go for some alternatives, or call your ISP, and see if you could request Dynamic Ip addresses.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ShadyOne (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Depends on if you have a router and modem, or all in 1 device. Some are dynamic meaning the ip address changes, which isn't hard if you unplug everything, wait awhile, and turn everything back on, if nothing changes you might have Static IP address, so you'd have to go for some alternatives, or call your ISP, and see if you could request Dynamic Ip addresses.
Right! Thanks now I understand better. I have an all in one BT Home Hub, changing to Virgin Broadband soon though, so will sort it out then.

Thanks Red X
Old 04-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Dont change to Virgin. It's the pits. There's better options.

You can do several different things, including re-setting the button on the BT hub

Geographical distance is not a problem. But dont blather to the world where you are. We keep things strum

It's part of having BT. Depends on which servers etc, you get your IP from. I've had a reading for darn sarf in Cornwall for an account in Kent.

Here in OZ, I often check to discover that I'm 600 miles away.

It's t'internet
ShadyOne (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Dont change to Virgin. It's the pits. There's better options.

You can do several different things, including re-setting the button on the BT hub.
Will try this, but I was thinking, I have only just checked my IP address recently but my HomeHub device has probably been reset, unplugged, factory settings, kicked up the...a thousand times before.

So is their a chance I could get an IP address I have already used? especially if my ISP cycles through IP addresses!?!

edit: thinking about this, I will just have to keep a log of ip addresses from now on and if I get suspended, chances are I could have had that IP address before. Or perhaps I should get a new ISP and log them Ip addresses form now on!

Quote:
Geographical distance is not a problem. But dont blather to the world where you are. We keep things strum

Quote:
It's part of having BT. Depends on which servers etc, you get your IP from. I've had a reading for darn sarf in Cornwall for an account in Kent.

Here in OZ, I often check to discover that I'm 600 miles away.
I see, thought it would have just been where the servers are located!

Last edited by ShadyOne; 04-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.