Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects? - New proposed EBAY policy - Page 4 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 04-23-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
If that's the case, and ebay doesn't want you to delete cookies often. Then use different users for your PC. Create a different user on your computer per eBay account you have.
That's a good idea, aspkin.

I'm wondering what kind of information they could get with the flash cookies, though? The machine name? The resolution? I don't see how they can identify you with that.

I'm thinking the flash cookies are more like beacons to identify you to eBay and tell them "this computer has already been here before, the beacon is still there". I don't see them finding out anything else about you.

I did a bit of reading about the flash cookies ...but I couldn't find any on my computer. I guess eBay isn't really using them yet?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-23-2008
Executive [VIP]

I just found this blog: Programming and politics

That monkey apparently works for eBay (as he writes in his blog) and he wrote this a few days ago:

Quote:
Yesterday eBay won an award at the O'Reilly MySQL conference. Congratulations to the Chris Kasten's team. Chris also did a presentation today at the MySQL conference. The caching layer his team created allows us to store "session" data on the server. This data can actually be persisted across sessions, depending on the use case, so it is really a little better than your typical HTTPSessions. Plus it actually scales :-)

The MySQL cache compliments HTTP cookies. We also use Flash for local storage as another alternative to the tiny world of HTTP cookies. Flash has a lot of advantages. The most obvious is the 100K default limit as opposed to the 4K limit of HTTP cookies. Flash "cookies" are not sent to the server, making them much more secure. One of the fun things I did recently was help setup guidelines on when an application should use plain 'ol HTTP cookies, Flash local storage, or the MySQL cache. I got to become much more familiar with the MySQL cache, and thus it wasn't suprising to me when I heard about it winning the award from MySQL.
Old 04-23-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default At least give credit where credit is due guys...

I always thank you for your suggestions.
Old 04-23-2008

Longevity: 93%

For those non-technical of us - is this something new we need to worry about?
Old 04-23-2008

I am technical. And I am beginning to think there are things planted here we definitely do not need to worry about.
Old 04-24-2008
Executive [VIP]

I was a bit worried when I started reading about flash cookies. Since they're apparently not deleted by just clearling the temp. internet files or the cache, but then I did some reading and it appears they're stored on a per-user-account basis. So I'm now starting to make different Windows user accounts for all my eBay accounts. Go ahead, eBay. Plant those flash cookies, they're not going to bother me in 2 months when you start using them.
Old 04-24-2008

imjustme, I am continually using Ccleaner, yet when I come to this forum I type in the first letter of my username and am recognized - the rest is autofilled. How is this? Something in the browser but not a cookie?
Old 04-24-2008

Default Ebay called me today

Ebay called me today to tell me about the new policy in june. They asked me if I was selling out of a store and also wanted my cell phone policy.

I responded how is ebay going to be able to tell what computer I'm logging in from, I told the rep I felt it was a security risk and wasn't comfortable with ebay having that capability and demanded that someone explain how they were going to monitor this. Rep stated he didn't know how it was done and continued trying to get information out of me. I told him unless you can explain to me how ebay monitors what computer you log on with I wasn't answering any of his questions, he hung up.
Old 04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESTEBANWT View Post
imjustme, I am continually using Ccleaner, yet when I come to this forum I type in the first letter of my username and am recognized - the rest is autofilled. How is this? Something in the browser but not a cookie?
Passwords are registry based

Passwords In Internet Explorer 7

However the reason why ccleaner doesn't delete your usernames and passwords is because the option to delete autocomplete form history isn't used by default in ccleaner.

If you do want to set it just go Cleaner > Windows Tab > Under the Internet explorer list there is a greyed out box for auto complete. Just tick the box and a warning dialogue box will appear and voila...its history as they say.

Last edited by simplyjimbo; 04-25-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

Except that ...NWT uses firefox with XP with AOL.
Old 04-25-2008

Longevity: 92%
Default cookies

I'm new and still in the info gathering stage after being booted off ebay. In researching what I can do about it I've gathered a lot of interesting info, especially here, and I thank you for all the info here.

I am a Criminal Justice major (Criminal Psychology) and I took a class a couple of months back on internet security. I still have a copy of the text we used in that class as it was written for reference by the FBI on how to hack into any computer and has a lot of back door paths in tracing,tracking, and retrieving info. While it is just a basic overview of the FBI's bible version it has an incredible amount of info on retrieving info from computers. One of the things that struck me, reading this thread, if there is some way ebay uses a program that allows them a reverse address or IP path. It is very similar to a reverse phone number inquiry. If you have only a phone number you can plug that in and it will give you the name and address associated with it. The same is true with a reverse IP even though you might have created a fool proof trail every time you enter one site and hop on another using a different identity there is still a trace of your computer from the previous site/browser that is tacked onto the new one no matter how careful you might be. It's called forensic computer stamp/strike. Since IP addresses are public domain it is perfectly legal to for anyone who has the expertise, or money, to do, though one would have to be highly motivated to even care, to do so.

I'll have to dig that text book out and see what I can find on this.

Irish
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Here is a more in-detail explanation of the changes, by eBay themselves:

eBay - The Chatter - More Info About the "eBay Security News" Announcement from John Canfield

Definitely clears up a lot of things. I wonder if they're only doing this for eBay USA though? I've logged into my Japanese accounts for days now without ever receiving a flash cookie.

And I wonder how they will handle new accounts. Especially us who create new backup accounts every few days, will we need to receive a phone call on all of them before we can sell? Or will they identify the computer that lists for the first time and then verify you if you use another one or clear the flash cookie?

Last edited by imjustme; 04-25-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2008

Nice find Imjustme, but the link has been posted here and quoted from several times before
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Did anyone from the US or another country notice flash cookies deposited by eBay on their computer yet? According to them, data collection has already started, but I haven't seen anything across 10+ of my accounts.
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Q: What about ISPs that assign a different IP address for each session, or those that change the IP address each time the modem is rebooted?

A: We use a number of different variables to note what computer you buy and sell from. You won't need to verify your identity as long as you're using your normal computer(s), even if your IP address changes.

how are they going to do this?
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

With the flash cookies they put on your computer
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

does it mean you can only have one a/c for each computer you have, how many a/cs can you have in the same house,i'm renting so i don't stay more than 1 year in the same address is that o.k?
Old 04-25-2008

What amazes me is all the shenanigans. Obviously, EBAY wants to make it more difficult but not impossible.

I have no idea why. They are one step away from making it impossible.
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
Well, assuming that program Objection
Objection
works, then the flash cookies are browser specific and there are ways to block/delete them via your browser.
Deleting them will cause you to have to verify your phone number when selling, though. Imagine having to receive a phone call every time you list something on one of a dozen accounts?

I'm thinking separate Windows user accounts (and therefor separate flash cookies) are the way to go. I'm already doing this for all my eBay accounts now, just to be safe.
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Modee, did you get any flash cookies planted onto your computer yet that you were able to find with Objection? eBay says they've already started with it, but across 10 accounts I'm selling on I haven't received not even 1 flash cookie. I'm getting them fine on YouTube or Google Video, so I'm sure my flash is working fine.
Old 04-25-2008

imjustme: 'm thinking separate Windows user accounts (and therefor separate flash cookies) are the way to go.

I'm doing this also. And in each XP user account a separate AOL account. I am using AOL 7 - I think there was a recommendation on here to use an older version.

But will using AOL 7 be a red flag to EB/PP?
Old 04-25-2008

estebanmwt....... God AOL and their 'footprints'. don't you just love how they try to make cookies and web terms more user friendly.

I guess you haven't got many good friends as 'A friend wouldn't let a friend use AOL' well not here in the uk anyway . Maybe good for kids but nought else...IMHO

I thought green bean was joking about your setup before....