Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects? - New proposed EBAY policy - Page 5 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Talking Hehe

jimbo, Nope I would not joke about how you set up to run your accounts. NWT has an issue with his location & wants to make sure he can work under the radar so to speak. So this becomes a learning curve for me as well.

BUT, you can have a laugh on me. I have been reading change MAC address. So I thought how can they do that with a Mac? Until I found out that MAC means Media Access Control. Very different.

Old 04-25-2008

Longevity: 93%

simplyjimbo: Dear Sir; I must take offense at your aspersions on AOL. After Al Gore invented the internet, AOL made the it work!!!

But, like Green Bean said, I have to use it to hide what country i am in.

SO, will using AOL 7 be a red flag to EB/PP?
Old 04-25-2008

Hi green bean. I have spent so many years in the IT and Telecoms industries that I forget that everyone here is not a techie...sorry

I think we all have had our moments of laughter due to not knowing about one thing or another. I remember similar laughable moments early in my knowledge too.

Last edited by simplyjimbo; 04-25-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: techie error....we all have them
Old 04-25-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Wink hehe

jimbo, this is really a hoot for me. I hear these terms, these suggestions and think WTH? After all I am after beating ebay/paypal. So I must learn.
Old 04-26-2008
Executive [VIP]

We still need some people who are sellers reporting if eBay has already started placing flash cookies on their machines. Please keep an eye out for them!
Old 04-26-2008

Longevity: 98%

One thing we can do is go to the suggestions in ebay and ask for the ability to opt out of this.
Old 04-26-2008

Longevity: 94%

I monitor flash cookies on my PC, there are still not.
I guess they will be placed somewhen in May. Because now ebay is just recongnized computers(by http cookies?) from which you're buying/selling usually. After that they will place flash cookies, probably. Very interesting When, at what point they will 'remember' the PC!

And the second. What if the account holder do not use ebay during this period? And started using in Jule! (when the system is activated). They will call Every customer when he/she list 1st time? What if the account holder starts only bidding/buying/paying first? And after that try to sell.. the PC will be remembered already?
Because many ppl have several ebay accounts and they do not ever login there so often. I can imagine now much unwanted calls ebay members will receive!
Old 04-26-2008

I am eagerly awaiting the first plant.

As soon as a flash cookie or sol file is planted well lets say I will definitely be ready

Last edited by simplyjimbo; 04-26-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2008

Wink Automated Phone Calls....

I wouldn't worry people....imagine all the ebay members they would have to call to implement this new 'eBay Rule'. It's "Millions". They would need to hire alot of employees to call their members.....and they are obviosly not going to call everyone....

I think it's going to be more like an automated phone call...If they find that your phone number is disconnected they will probably limit your account until you can confirm your identity.

Or, if you pick up the phone, I'm sure it's going to be like an automated message which just ask's you to confirm your account.

Also, I should mention that about 1 month ago eBay for some reason ended all my listing and blocked my account so I was unable to log into my account. I didn't know what was happening so I contacted eBay through live help and they put me through to another department. The guy then asked me a question about a feedback that I received in March 2007. I answered correctly so he then gave me access to my account again....I think that they will be doing this type of thing also...

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best...

Last edited by Sammi007; 04-26-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
We still need some people who are sellers reporting if eBay has already started placing flash cookies on their machines. Please keep an eye out for them!
I'm not technical at all so if this is not what you are looking for feel free to bash away. lol

I just visited the Adobe Flash Settings website Modee posted a couple pages back. At the very top of the list of flash object stored on my pc was something to the effect of:
secure.ebay.com

I deleted the cookie and then went back to ebay, logged in and messed around a few minutes trying to pick up this cookie again. I checked auctions in SMP and revised an auction under the assumption that if they place the cookie when you list maybe they also do it with a revision.

I then went back to the Abode page and there are no cookies listed. I will keep checking back to try to figure out what activity triggers the cookie.

So will this flash cookie link all my accounts that I have logged into with this computer even though I have been anal about keeping cookies cleaned???
Old 04-27-2008

Default eBay Flash cookie is Here

I’ve been getting the ebay flash cookies for about 4 days now….since I reported the small blue or white box on the my ebay screen.

Ccleaner is picking it up as a named ebay.sol (name is longer but clearly says ebay at the start)

Objection is installed but not that helpful as it’s not picking up as Ccleaner does.

Also go into your Java settings as eBay are now putting a cookie ? into Java (temp files) disable storing of temp cookies in Java

PLUS eBay are definitely doing something with Java … on 3 of my account’s I can’t upload new pictures & eBays answer was to go into Firefox and then Java to change settings ????? this also started 4 days ago
Old 04-27-2008

Longevity: 92%
Default what i`m gone do?

Hi, i have a computer network and i am very worried .I cant` s leave the computer unprotected from cookies,and the bad part of this is that half of my client are ebay users.What i`m gone do>..can u advice me please.:?
Old 04-27-2008

Longevity: 95%

Vegas.. if your making any kind of serious money thru Ebay, then what's the problem with purchasing a laptop, roaming internet provider, and pursuing your personal Ebay business there... and in doing so.. erase the worry of networks.. customers etc...

Don't panic.. for ALL problems..there will be an answer..
Old 04-27-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default It gets to be a point of diminishing returns...

for some it is reasonable to have multiple routers, multiple computers, etc. dedicated to EBAY. Most aren't here.

For those that are bigger fish in the EBAY pond, it may be worth doing more and more to obscure your identity, but the costs start going up exponentially.

Personally, I have watched my margins get crushed on EBAY to bare minimum. It was just a hobby for me. My wife too, and she loved it, more for the fun than the small profits or what have you.

Now, what you have are workarounds being suggested that could cost hundreds if not thousands. OK, now we are getting stupid. And EBAY could clip those in a heartbeat right after you pay for them.

It is all just getting to be no fun. And that was what EBAY was about.
Old 04-27-2008

HI Terry

Well now you have the ebay sol file crack it open and find out what is in it. use an editor to view the contents.

Java too, now that doesn't surprise me,found out some intersting info yesterday regarding sols and java, could be something sinister going on but having a look at the cookie will tell

let us know what you find in the sol
Old 04-27-2008
Executive [VIP]

Where did it put the .sol file into? I thought they could only be placed in the Flash directory.
Old 04-27-2008
Executive [VIP]

You don't need multiple computers. Just multiple user accounts. Keeps your cookies apart from eachother and keeps you safe
Old 04-27-2008
Executive [VIP]

I think you may have had something else there. I checked the Macromedia (flash developers) website and they state that flash cookies can only be placed in the flash directory. In Vista, that would be C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player
Old 04-27-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default I found mine in the bedroom drawer...

it looked kind of like a red herring at first...
Old 04-27-2008

I couldn't be bothered to type it all out but here is a page I found with all that is needed to know where to find the files etc:

Eclectica: Flash Cookies – Finding and deleting

If anyone finds a sol file reverse engineer it,

Last edited by simplyjimbo; 04-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2008

When on eBay I have flash blocked and java blocked.

With Flash blocked I notice flash all over eBay's site. If you run the flash, then it just puts a white bar on your screen.

Last edited by Jonas; 04-28-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2008

There's another thing about Java is sometimes you have to go to the Java website and update it. The Java that comes with MSIE is 10 years old and if you program in a new java version then the old usually can't run it. Like if you program in JRE 1.8 and someone tries to run it on JRE 1.7 then it won't run. Also an unsigned Java applet can't do anything but a signed Java applet can fish through your computer for information including Mac address and computer data (though they need some sort of extention that I forgot and that extention is specific to operating systems so it would work for PCs but not Macs and maybe might not be compatible for Windows Vista vs. XP). Though I don't know all their is about Java.

But anyway, Java temp files if you have installed JRE (java) from their website then you have Java in your windows control panel and you can go there and find temp files. I find those things never get deleted, though I am doubtful a website can access them again.

Last edited by Jonas; 05-30-2008 at 02:30 AM.