did ebay track the code of your harddisk? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 11-19-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default did ebay track the code of your harddisk?

as i know,skype can track your harddisk code and suspend your multi skype account, i think ebay also have this technical, any one know that?

as when i login ebay use the same IP,clean cookies, via different computer,ebay need call me to vertify me, so i think they record harddisk info!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-19-2008

Longevity: 89%

I'm new here but I've seen at least 20 people say they run multiple accounts after being previously suspended (can't imagine they all bought new PCs)

If what you're saying is true it doesn't seem like they could all be doing that?
Old 11-19-2008

Never heard of that before.

Ebay cannot trace the code of your hard disk from only your cookies and/or .sol files.
Old 11-19-2008

This is new too me, I don't think they trace your computer. They can only link you through ip and cookies and obviously other personal info but computer wise this is what they do. If they ask you for phone verification then verify again but make sure you have ebay recognize your current location. And double check that your ip is indeed the same. It might have been just some minor confusion along the way.

good luck
Old 11-21-2008

Longevity: 98%

eBay would need a program to do that, such as perhaps Turbo Lister. Second Life tracks by hardware, but I've read griefers have found ways around it now.

I don't know if Skype uses an external program or what. But I've read that they have security problems with people they suspect are Skype employees hijacking accounts that are linked to paypal accounts and then draining the bank accounts links to the paypal accounts. Skype then will say they don't think the account is hijacked and PayPal won't let them unlink Skype. It's findable by google. I was going to post it here but I don't think I did.
Old 11-21-2008
Threadstarter  

sorry, i found the problem, ebay still detect the Ip address, and just call me phone NO. then ask me if trust my laptop. i click no, so next time,when i use the same IP, ebay still need call me!
Old 11-21-2008
Threadstarter  

that's the problem! really make me scared...
Old 11-30-2008

Longevity: 90%

From my experience I dont think Ebay bother with the computer name/ID only IP address, emails, address's and cookies.

Recently Ebay requires that if you try to list a new item from a different computer they will ask you to take a phone call to your registered phone number to verify you are the account holder.

Now how do they recognise that its a different computer: IP address or the computer name or details? I'm pretty sure its the IP because of the following experience:

I normally use the same laptop with a mobile broadband connection (which uses a dial up proxy connection). However, I went to an internet cafe and Ebay wouldnt let me relist using a different computer with a different IP address.

However, later I tried to relist using my desktop pc but using the same mobile dongle. So it was a case of different computer but same proxy IP and I was able to relist.

So when Ebay say they recognise your computer they mean they recognise your IP address.

But there are so many people using different computers for legitimate reasons it doesnt make sense they would pull everyone up as the whole system would clog up. There might be a random element to whether you get pulled up or not.

So if I tried using a different computer with the same IP address another time I might get pulled up. But even if that were the case, the randomness of the checking would only go to show how unsophisticated Ebay tracking is. After all, they are not the CIA or Mossad

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to MI5 For This Useful Post:
latting (07-16-2009)
Old 11-30-2008

Longevity: 90%

Jerry, maybe when you use a different computer and using a normal broadband modem the change of computer resets the modem and alters the IP address.

Otherwise dont use the same computer you were banned on

But I really dont think ebay goes as far as to look into your computer. If they can knock out 90% of transgressors with simple means they are satisfied with that. To go further just to nab a small percentage they cant even quantify is
not cost effective and they work on the assumption that most banned ebayers dont have the wit to get passed their basic blocks
The Following User Says Thank You to MI5 For This Useful Post:
latting (07-16-2009)