Etsy is only for vintage aged items ? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 03-05-2019

Activity: 27%
Longevity: 30%
Default Etsy is only for vintage aged items ?

Don't understand this marketplace .they say you have to sell there only unique items homemade and vintage but I see a lot of common items to be on sale there.
Also I had for 3 times account suspended for this reason
Any suggestions if not homemade what kind of items can sell there without get closed the account?

Last edited by Pedroalva; 03-05-2019 at 10:22 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-06-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%
Default Re: Etsy is only for vintage aged items ?

handmade items and vintage/antique items.
you can go to Etsy and find what is vintage, if they spot your items are brand new ,esp those from China ,they will ban you
Old 03-14-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%

Items have to be vintage or handmade. If it's not handmade and you have a factory making it, they will allow it. However, you have to disclose your production partner and you have to be involved in the design process. Example. You design a dress but have someone sew it for you.
Old 03-17-2019
Threadstarter  

Activity: 27%
Longevity: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
handmade items and vintage/antique items.
you can go to Etsy and find what is vintage, if they spot your items are brand new ,esp those from China ,they will ban you
I see hundreds if not thousands of items on sale there are gadget from Alibaba
I am wondering how they do it
Old 03-17-2019

they claim these ALIBABA items are vintage ,from their own personal collection or estate etc.
Old 03-18-2019

Longevity: 40%

Yes, there a people who sell non handmade or vintage. However, if you try and get flagged you can end up getting banned.
Old 03-26-2019

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 74%

etsy is mainly for vintage or home made items they dont want mass produced items on there so you have to be careful what it is you are selling.
Old 03-26-2019

Longevity: 29%

A careful study of what is for sale on Etsy, and what kind of merchandise successful sellers have listed, will show that hundreds of thousands of shops are selling brand new, mass manufactured, products the seller purchased wholesale. And I don't mean supplies for crafting, which have always been allowed on the site.

The published guidelines outlining what can, and cannot, be listed for sale on the site as handmade or vintage are boilerplate. Leftovers from the original version of Etsy before it went public.

You can definitely sell brand new products as vintage. Years ago when I was an Etsy seller, I used to report items listed as vintage that were made by brands that weren't yet 20 years old (and aren't 20 years old even today as I type here). If you want to sell new (or new-ish) products as vintage on Etsy, you need to study shops that have been doing this successfully for years, and see how they work it.

Same thing with stuff purchased wholesale and then listed on Etsy as handmade and even "made to order". You have to do your research. There are hours worth of helpful reading online discussing reselling on Etsy including discussions of methods sellers use to convince shoppers their items were designed by them (handmade with production assistance) or designed and crafted by them. Some of the methods used are the result of mentoring by Etsy's Marketplace Integrity Team.

The last time I reported an item listed on Etsy for not being handmade, vintage, or crafting supplies was August 2015. Some of the shops listing the items I reported before then are still open on Etsy, and still reselling. Again, you have to know how to work it. I gave up reporting violations to Etsy, and began blogging about shops who resell and how they do it.

Etsy corporate most definitely wants mass produced items listed. Without those sellers and their listings, Etsy would be less than half the size it is today in terms of listing count and shop count. Not to mention sales $$$.
The Following User Says Thank You to Life During Wartime For This Useful Post:
Vanalinn (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019

It is not that easy to find antique and vintage items,they are one of a kind,and time consuming to find them and list them.
the pictures you took can only be used once.
Once they are sold,you have to find more to sell and you run into plenty of competition.
Some will run local ads to buy entire household worth of goods,if elderly are going into nursing homes,they will be happy to sell to someone who can buy in huge lots