If You Have Heart Failure Or Dilated Cardiomyopathy - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 05-12-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Arrow If You Have Heart Failure Or Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Allegheny General Hospital is one of more than 30 medical centers testing a new medical device that is wrapped around failing hearts to improve their function.

The HeartNet Ventricular Support System is made of an elastic nickel titanium mesh designed to reinforce the heart's walls to slow or stop dangerous enlargement. So far Allegheny General has enrolled four patients in a clinical trial that seeks to recruit 274 patients nationwide.

"We are excited about the promise of this new technology in that it addresses the needs of a large patient population with debilitating symptoms," Dr. Srinivas Murali, director of Allegheny General's Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, in a news release.

"The HeartNet implant is a unique, surgical approach to assisting the failing heart on a permanent basis for patients who are failing medical therapy."

More than 5 million Americans suffer from heart failure, according to the American Heart Association. It is the leading cause of hospital admissions in the United States and the leading cause of cardiovascular disability in Western Pennsylvania.

The HeartNet is particularly effective in a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy, where the heart becomes weakened and enlarged, reducing its ability to pump blood efficiently. Once diagnosed with the disease, less than 50 percent of patients live beyond five years, according to Allegheny General.

Link:
AGH testing 'net' to stop failing hearts - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-12-2009

Longevity: 91%

Good info Smile for people who may benefit from it, and may be living longer thanks to constant advancement in technology....

Also, good place to post it.. We all may end up with heart disease one day after our dealings with Ebay and Paypal. Bet ya PayPal counts on it when they imposed 180 day limits on people's money.:>
Old 05-12-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

/me awards Lyda her ceremonial tin-foil hat.

BTT - 15 years ago, something similar was done for my son. Not metal, but gore-tex. I suppose metal would have been bad, as he was only 6 months old when he got the surgery.

Good info.

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 05-12-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
/me awards Lyda her ceremonial tin-foil hat.

BTT - 15 years ago, something similar was done for my son. Not metal, but gore-tex. I suppose metal would have been bad, as he was only 6 months old when he got the surgery.

Good info.
Did he have Heart Failure Or Dilated Cardiomyopathy?

and how is he doing?
Old 05-12-2009

Yea,How is your son doing now, Vic?

I lost my mother to heart disease when I was 19...She did not have this particular condition, but had the illness developed 15- 20 years later than it did, she could still be alive today - thanks to tremendous advancements in medicine and technology in last few decades.
Old 05-13-2009
Vicvelcro

My son had an atrial-septal defect, cardio myopathy, polycystic kidney disease, and a few other complications of lesser significance.

Nobody believed anything was wrong with him. Not even family members. For his 1st 4 mos after birth, he would randomly turn blue and/or projectile vomit. I took him to the ER at least 4 times a week. People began openly saying I was a crazy over-concerned poppa. I was only 25 at the time, so even the doctors would blow me off.

Finally, one of my relatives (military surgeon stationed in Germany) came home on a 30 day leave. I begged him to have a look at my son. He found the heart problem in my living room using just a stethescope. It should have been obvious, but nobody ever took me seriously right from the beginning.

Ended up suing the hospital to force full diagnostic and treatment (no punitive penalty in that state). So, grudgingly they complied with court order.

Son had several surgeries on his heart over the next 8 months. Took part of his leg muscle to patch the hole internal between heart chambers for the atrial-septal. Put his entire heart in a gore-tex bag so it wouldn't explode. Some other proceedures were done that I just don't recall. Basically, repaired.

He's in his teens, plays tennis, hockey, and has loved karate since the age of 6. Still has to get his heart correction refitted every few years. When he is fully grown, there will be one last permanent fix (barring future complications) and he should be fine.

The advances in heart medicine will allow him to live long enough for the kidney disease to kill him, probably in his mid-20's.

I'm hoping they find a fix for that some time soon.
Old 05-13-2009
Threadstarter  

You may want to look into some natural remedies for him. I’m happy that he’s doing good. Every year medical science gets us one step closer – Do not give up.

God Bless You And Your Son.
Old 05-13-2009

So sad you have to go through this Vic. We'll be praying for you!
Old 05-13-2009
Vicvelcro

Thanks for the well-wishes. I wasn't trying to take the stage. Just contributing and responding to a question.

He's pretty normal as far as anyone would notice. As long as he keeps his shirt on, there's no clue. He looks and acts just like everyone else. And he has a very realistic outlook on life. Nothing gets him down.

So, as an example of the original topic, anyone who can benefit - look into the technique.
Old 05-13-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^Agree. I worked with some of the first Cardiac Surgeons in both the UK and Australia who did pediatric heart surgery. One surgeon, in particular, was/is a genius. A tiny baby may sometimes need chest massage,OK. If you do this, you only use x2 fingers and even then run the risk of fracturing ribs. He modified an electric toothbrush to do the massage. It is very very inspiring to see patients recover after treatment.
Good thread,smile
Old 05-14-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
^^^Agree. I worked with some of the first Cardiac Surgeons in both the UK and Australia who did pediatric heart surgery. One surgeon, in particular, was/is a genius. A tiny baby may sometimes need chest massage,OK. If you do this, you only use x2 fingers and even then run the risk of fracturing ribs. He modified an electric toothbrush to do the massage. It is very very inspiring to see patients recover after treatment.
Good thread,smile
Im in the U.S. and I keep reading things that are going on over seas that are helping people with the heart and cancer that the U.S. will never allow. Its very sad.
Old 05-14-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^ The two hospitals where I worked are world class in their proactive
treatments. Have you heard of Dr Victor Chang? He did the heart transplants, a genius. He got killed in a botched kidnap attempt some years ago.
Strange balance though, because there are treatments that are available in the USA but not elsewhere
Old 05-18-2009
Threadstarter  

Im hoping that they will improve implantable defibrillators. I have read some stories where people get shocked or the leads to heart sometimes fail. I hope that this is not the norm. But I do notice that every year they get smaller and smaller.