Can I have some small business advice - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 11-29-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 51%
Default Can I have some small business advice

Long story short, my accountants is a joke.

Frequently cancelling appointments with me last minute, double booking my appointments, they've taken my business details in person 3 times. I handed them the last of my 2017-2018 back in June, and contacted them 3 weeks ago to ask what's happening because I haven't heard anything from them

They claimed sabotage, that a lot of customer files had been deleted by a rogue employee and that I was on the list of customers they had already contacted and fixed. They are so sorry and if I bring everything in they will have my accounts done in 2 days.

2 weeks later they sent me a first draft, on first glance they've missed all my bills for one whole month for expenses, I haven't gone over the rest as I'm waiting to hear back from them on that in case it's somewhere I can't see it

But what the hell do I do here? I've never used an accountant before I've always done my own because its easy for me, I wanted and accountant so I can look at applying for a mortgage but FFS this is the enough to make me rent forever.

Any advice? From what I've been told I can't just cancel as I'm tied into a contract with them so they will charge me, but this is really unsettling that they are so god damn awful.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-29-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Can I have some small business advice

Is your contract written or verbal?

Old 11-29-2018
Threadstarter  

I'm pretty sure the first time I went in to visit them and set things up I must have signed something, though I only remember a form that basically gave them my business details. They are registered with HMRC as my accountant so I figure that's as good as a written contract

I don't even know how much they are charging me at the moment
Old 11-29-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

"They claimed sabotage, that a lot of customer files had been deleted by a rogue employee and that I was on the list of customers they had already contacted and fixed."

Did they put THAT in writing? Did they notify you via mail or even email?

Surely there must be a way to get out of the contract due to such negligence?

Tell them that your you feel your info has been compromised and you'd like to go elsewhere.

While Im sure these things rarely happen a REPUTABLE company will AT THE BARE MINIMUM inform their clients?
Old 11-29-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCJ View Post
"They claimed sabotage, that a lot of customer files had been deleted by a rogue employee and that I was on the list of customers they had already contacted and fixed."

Did they put THAT in writing? Did they notify you via mail or even email?

Surely there must be a way to get out of the contract due to such negligence?

Tell them that your you feel your info has been compromised and you'd like to go elsewhere.

While Im sure these things rarely happen a REPUTABLE company will AT THE BARE MINIMUM inform their clients?
I was told that over a phone call by the woman who's name on the company. Smells like BS to me. And her excuse for not informing me was that they thought they already had. It was I who got in touch with them after months of silence. I have nothing in writing.

She offered me a discount and accounts done in 2 days, again its 2 weeks and on first glance full of errors. Discount is a little void when I have no idea what I'm paying in the first place. Again all over the phone.

I'm quickly learning my lesson to trust my gut. My partner and mother said I have to stay with them because they will charge me, I should have bailed when I first found out they had nothing for me
Old 11-29-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohki View Post
I'm pretty sure the first time I went in to visit them and set things up I must have signed something, though I only remember a form that basically gave them my business details. They are registered with HMRC as my accountant so I figure that's as good as a written contract

I don't even know how much they are charging me at the moment
Woah, get on top of this quickly then, in case of financial hardship.. (As you are doing).

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php

Above is a free forum to join. Most members have had experience across the board of different services, litigation etc. There is a shed load of letters to tell the other party what is required.

Hope this might help.

Old 11-30-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Woah, get on top of this quickly then, in case of financial hardship.. (As you are doing).

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php

Above is a free forum to join. Most members have had experience across the board of different services, litigation etc. There is a shed load of letters to tell the other party what is required.

Hope this might help.

Thanks for this, I'll have a look at the weekend when I have some time. This couldn't really come at a worse time of year when I'm stupidly busy already!

I've also found the Financial reporting council website, I guess now I just need to get some written confirmation of all this crap

Bit of irony for you, this woman won the local business woman of the year award this year. Received her award while I was in her office waiting for a meeting with her, which she'd double booked with the award ceremony, after canceling with me the day before of course.
Old 11-30-2018
Threadstarter  

So the latest email from her is a request to come in and have a meeting to confirm what she's calculating for me and what I've supplied.

I've been in to them more than once to go over this already, she even looked at my spreadsheet a year ago and said it was fine and she'd be in touch if there was any issues.

Over the Christmas period I end up working 8am - 10pm 7 days a week, I work solo, I have no time at this time of year for meetings where I'd have to restrain myself. Their office is so open and last time she had her two kids sat there.

I've pretty much given her the email equivalent of the middle finger. Asked to know what she's charging me.

FFS
Old 11-30-2018
Threadstarter  

oooooo

So I have a voicemail from her that confirms everything that she said about a rogue member of staff deleting everything.

And clearly she didn't like my email, she's not charging me and I can go pick up my paperwork, she's done with me.

She tried to guilt trip me by saying part of the failing on my account was due to her being ill. It's an accountancy firm, her illness should not have such this sort of impact on my account surely? There should have been backups?

So next question is do I leave it here or leave a bad review on their facebook page, no one should have to go through this sort of thing :/
Old 11-30-2018
Executive [VIP]

Scenario:you shave each morning and the blade is blunt & rusty. You try over 4 days for a clean shave. All you get is nicks and blood.

Think of this effort with the accountant is along the same lines. All you have been getting is nicks and blood.

Collect the gear, find a better/professional accountant. Move forwards
Old 11-30-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

As usual the wisdom on Greenbean's rhetorical post completely eludes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohki View Post

So next question is do I leave it here or leave a bad review on their facebook page, no one should have to go through this sort of thing :/
I wouldn't leave a mean, malicious review but I would definitely leave an honest review describing all the comical errors you experienced. So others in the future are aware of this lady's lack of organization and accountability. Y'know?

Nobody likes to run into an oxymoron in business dealings.

Last edited by phaz0rz; 11-30-2018 at 09:47 AM.