Need advice on what to do with my ViewSonic TV/Computer screen - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 10-25-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default Need advice on what to do with my ViewSonic TV/Computer screen

So, I bought for $699 this brand new ViewSonic N2751 - 27" flat screen TV/Computer monitor in December of 2006 together with my new Toshiba laptop at Office Depot.
I am from the old school and am used to TVs lasting 20+ years, so I thought I was good for some time to come and could possibly use it as desktop monitor one day when even reading glasses wont do any more, lol.

Anyhow, I used it as TV in my bedroom, but the other day, no picture any more, black screen, but audio just fine.
So, I took it into electronics repair shop to find out that my signal board is out and cost of repair would be around $300. Jeez...I thought I could add few more hundreds to it and purchase brand new 42" flat screen instead.
I did not expect the repair to be this costly! Wouldn't mind repair up to $100-$150, but having signal board going dead was probably the worst outcome possible.
I paid for the diagnostic cost $25 on top of it. The technician appeared very knowledgeable though and recommended I do not purchase new signal board for less on auction sites, cause there was a good chance I would get scammed and be out of money and receive bad parts. He recommended to put it up for sale on Craig's List, as someone might buy it for $200 - $300.

I also went to Office Depot and asked them what to do with it. Unfortunately, I did not sign up for extended warranty ( about $90 a year)they offered at the time of purchase, so now I am wondering what to do and what is my best option? They told me they don't make TVs last more than 3-4 years any more, because they want you to come in and buy new model after a while. Is this true? I had Sony TV for many, many years, and it was still working when I gave it away few years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to read this....I would really appreciate any advise.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Now day's tv's a dirt cheap but the quality keeps on falling. If I were you I would sell it on craigslist. If the signal board broke within 3 years then I expect there is going to be much other problems in the near future. If office depot still sell that tv, I would buy the same tv and replace it with my old one. Then return it!
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Wow Yozalo, you are sooo clever! Well, unfortunately they don't sell it at moment, but they may during Christmas. The lady at Office Depot said its seasonal, so around Christmas they will get them again.... But, I am afraid the model may be different since its been 3 years now. You know, I don't think I would even feel bad doing this... Thanks!
Old 10-25-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

It is unusual for the signal board to give up so soon. Regardless of the actual cause, any TV repair is typically going to cost significantly more that would seem reasonable. Long explanation for that, but there is some validity to justify the cost.

Most TVs are in fact not made to last long. They aren't deliberately engineered to break. There is no count down timer for chips to self-destruct. But certain parts could be improved, yet they still use substandard manufacturing. They want you to buy a new one every few years. First, they want more money from you. Second, they don't want a bunch of 20 year old TVs suddenly needing parts that don't exist.

Personally, I suggest you try to sell your unit on CraigsList or wherever and apply the money to a new TV purchase. ViewSonic is a reputable brand. Samsung is nice. LG and Hitachi (same company) or good names.

I searched google and some fixit sites I use. I could not find any reports of any other person whose ViewSonic had the same problem you have. Either the tech is mistaken (could be your inverter) or you are just unlucky this time around.

I still have the Sony pre-HD 800x600 flat with vga/svid TELEVISION which I bought back in 1987. 22 years ago. I got a Philips almost as old. Every TV I've bought in the last 10 years has died before the age of 5.
Old 10-25-2009
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
(could be your inverter)
When I 1st read this thread I thought the same thing...

Sounds like a "display inverter" problem.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Thanks Vic and TheyGotMetoo. I don't have many places I can get my TV for diagnostic around here, where I live..to my surprise. When I typed in ViewSonic Repair and did Google search, only two places turned out for Charleston, SC. I typed in my zip code and got only 2 options. One was Sears and the other was Spectra Electronics on James Island.

I called Sears and they charge $105 just to come to your home and diagnose the problem. They couldn't have me bring my TV to them. Than I went to this Spectra Electronics on James Island and turned around when I saw where they were in the middle of nowhere and would have to drive over the grass on some farm to get to the house which didn't look to me like business at all.

Driving back home, I called my son and he looked into yellow pages and gave me this Economy Electronic number place, so I took my TV to them. They said they are the best in the area and I really didn't have any reason not to believe it. I wouldn't mind second opinion however, as you guys planted a seed of suspicion in me so now I think, or hope it could be "display inverter" problem (whatever this is) after all. Probably not as costly as replacing the whole signal board...
Do you think if I take it to Best Buy they would diagnose it for me?
Old 10-25-2009
Vicvelcro

Inverter is cheaper and more common fix than signal board.

That place in the middle of nowhere:
Call and talk to them. Hey, I have an uncle who was navy during vietnam. A helicopter electronics maint tech. He finished his term, came home, made a tinfoil hat, moved out to the boonies, and opened a shop in his garage. The place was a total dive, but he was the best tech for 100 miles. That barn might be a lab run by some hermit rocket scientist.

I wouldn't have Sears work on electronics. Fridges and laundry machines and vaccuums, sure. TV or stereo? Nope.

Best Buy isn't really a repair place. No trained techs. Mainly flunkee parts-changers. They'll change one thing. Power it up. Change another. Power it up. Until process of elimination prevails. Then they charge you for every part you didn't need PLUS the one that did the trick.

Once I'm done cruising the threads here, I'll see what I can find out about maybe a recall on the unit that might get you a free factory fix. I'll try to dig up a decent shop in your area that might be worthwhile. I'll PM you if something comes up.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Thanks Vic! You always come to my rescue... many hugz!!!!

Maybe I should give this dive on James Is. a try... I did call them before driving there as I have to drive over the bridge to get there through heavy traffic etc, and the person - a women I talked asked for directions sounded like she was on dope or something...but, I did not have much choice so I drove there but turned around as you know.

Here is what I get when I type in ViewSonic TV Repair:

http://www.inyourarea.net/results/

Now, if you Google Spectra Electronics address on 1632 Samuel Road, James Island, SC 29412, you'll get the map and you can even see the scary house they are in on Google. There was a sign on the side of the road saying they specialize in Plasma TV repairs etc....but maybe I take a pepper spray with me and go anyway..lol.
Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Make you husband go instead of you. Lynda your an important asset. You life is too important too risk. If they get the same tv model I would replace it and return it. All they do it send it back to the manufacture and let them suck up the losses.
Old 10-25-2009
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%

Lyda...

When the TV is on can you see any part of a faint screen?

Turn the TV on a look for anything, close-up and different angles. If you can see anything then I'm sure its your display inverter.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Lol Yozalo, my ex thought otherwise, that's why he is an ex and I am used to do stuff on my own, thank God! Heck, if he was reading this, he just might get ideas....

I am sure that with the help of the forum I am receiving the best advice. Vic already saved me time and aggravation of dealing with Best Buy.
Fortunately I still have this small ancient RCA I kept in the garage, so I can get the latest news on the Balloon guy..lol
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo View Post
Lyda...

When the TV is on can you see any part of a faint screen?

Turn the TV on a look for anything, close-up and different angles. If you can see anything then I'm sure its your display inverter.
I can't see anything, but there is light there.. I mean, its not as black as it is when its turned off. Sound completely ok, but no picture, completely dark grey.....
Old 10-25-2009
Vicvelcro

Re #12: There's nothing wrong with the screen itself, that's almost certain. Could be the board, but I still think it's more likely the inverter.

Re my searching:

Sorry, couldn't find anything regarding a recall. No luv there.

In general, plasma and LCD tech is standard. Exact parts may be specific, but are often interchangeable. Toshiba and Panasonic are the same company, for instance. So both brands often use the same parts. You might get your ViewSoniq fixed at a place that doesn't list ViewSoniq as one of the brands they work on.

Also, the first place might not have made a good diagnosis. You might not have a bad board or inverter. You may have just blown a fusible link (hi tech fuse). Maybe a solder connection cracked or delaminated. Those repairs would only cost labor and no parts would be needed. A decent shop can fix ANYTHING and would charge a fair price, instead of changing a whole board because they can't find the REAL problem.

Places in your area:

Patton & Young Electronics in North Charleston,*SC*|*7227 Cross County Rd,*North Charleston,*SC

Charleston Radio Service | Television Repair in Charleston, SC -- Spectra looks like the best on this list

Television Repair - Charleston SC - South Carolina - Repair & Maintenance

Unfortunately, I couldn't call any of them myself to interrogate their MAD SKILLZ! Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 10-25-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Ok, thanks Vic! I will call Spectra tomorrow again and take it there for the "second opinion". If it is indeed signal board, than I will probably do Craig'sList.....so, whatever I can get for it I'll use towards the new one. Thank you all, you guys are the best!
Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

I have a better plan Lyda. Maybe you'll be interested. I'll pm you the details later.

BooMer
Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

How about sell it on craigslist and tell the guy u don't have a powercord for it.
Old 10-25-2009
Vicvelcro

Yoz, I have the impression that Lyda prefers to be on-the-level. Shady ideas aren't her cup of tea.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Well, I just prefer to play it safe..and I am terrible lyer on top of it.
Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Yea, I wouldn't do the same either. Just giving suggestions, next time I'll keep the dumb ones to myself. Lol.

Repairing the tv will cost you too much, it's because the hourly rate for repairing item is too much here. If you were in china or some other 3rd world country it would cost much less to repair the item. But, if you insist then I suggest you look locally on yellowpages or on craigslist on people who repair tv's.

Anywho, tv's are pretty cheap, you can buy a 27" for about $500.
Old 10-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Ooops, I just read the complete description and it says that it was computer monitor/ tv. Wow, thats a huge computer monitor. I was looking for a computer monitor before and there were sellers on ebay sellers selling them for about $250 for a 24" samsung.
Old 10-25-2009
Threadstarter  

Well, they use big TVs/monitors in seminars, presentations etc. Even much bigger than only 27' ones. I looked on Ebay and there was same model as mine but factory refurbished, 30 day warranty going for $319.00 BIN. The model is N2750W and mine is N2751W..Don't know what's the difference, they look identical to me.