Relational Database - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 05-14-2010
Vicvelcro

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default Relational Database

My data is getting very large and harder to cross reference. Excel just isn't sufficient anymore.

Does anyone have a working relational database already set up? Does anyone have the ability to throw a relational database together without much effort?

I've tried making one using MS Access. I'm stumped. I used to be very good at using it, but I seem to be afflicted with an advanced case of 'CRS'.

What I had in mind, is separate databases for bank accounts, telephone lines, plastic cards, site logins, physical addresses, and a few other datum. I then wanted to cross reference each database to the others.

Anyone have a template they can toss me?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

Consider this to be a {bump}.
Old 05-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

I've used Microsoft Access before but I completely forgot how to us it after awhile.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

That's exactly the problem I have. I used to be able to create the type of database I need today. But now I can't remember 98.9992% of how to work with it. To be honest, I can't even make a single MS Access database anymore. I can use all my old databases from back in the day, but can't remember how to properly create a fresh set of them that cross-link.
Old 05-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicvelcro View Post
That's exactly the problem I have. I used to be able to create the type of database I need today. But now I can't remember 98.9992% of how to work with it. To be honest, I can't even make a single MS Access database anymore. I can use all my old databases from back in the day, but can't remember how to properly create a fresh set of them that cross-link.
Download the following ebook on demonoid:

Microsoft.Office.2007.eBooks - Demonoid

Only get the ebooks that cover access..

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

Well, I'll grab that. Thanks for the link.

However, I was hoping somebody already had something I could start using fairly soon. I'm pretty sure it will take me a while to get back in my groove for Access, even with documentation to help me.

So, if anybody has it, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2010

Longevity: 81%

I don't understand why you would need Access to work with such a small and trivial data set as ebay accounts. Excel @2007 has 16k (2^14) columns and 1M (2^20) rows.
Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

You didn't read my first post. My data set is not small anymore. I am well past small. The very first line in post #1 says "very large" and mentions that excel is no longer viable. A speadsheet isn't doing it for me these days. I need specifically a relational database which allows me to store some things in one data set, other things in another data set, and so forth - while at the same time I could be in one set and click a field which takes me into the relevant related info in another data set entirely.

Instead of picking holes in my request, offer a solution. If you don't have the solution I am specifically asking for, please leave the next post available for somebody who may.

I am asking if anyone has something like this already and if they would give it to me as a template or with their data removed but the structure intact.
Old 05-18-2010

Fine, if you don't think that this can be easily done in Excel that's ok.
Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

It isn't an issue of 'think'. I've been using 20 excel spreadsheets for quite some time. They are not functional enough for my needs and my data spans more than one sheet. Could be listed in one, but then I'd have a hell of a time navigating to what I want to see.

Example for you:
I have an assload of ecommerce sites I use, many bank accounts, quite a few gift cards, a few reloadable cards, lots of addresses on file spread all over the place, I hope you get the idea.

Now, suppose I want to pull up my gift2go card ending in 9887 to see what sites I've used it for. It would be nice to do that. Then, once I've pulled up that list, it would be nice to select a site I need more details about - click the site name and have it open the record of the info I used when I set up that account. Then suppose I go to the line which shows the phone number I used for that site, I click the phone number to see what other sites I used the phone number for....

That would make it very easy to determine which cards and phones are no longer used on any active accounts. Phones I could turn off and stop paying for. Also which cards are now defunct, so I could zero out the balance by filling my gas tank and getting the dead card out of my overcrowded shoebox.

So please, stop referring to excel. And stop telling me what I need when you don't even know what I have or why I want it.
Old 05-18-2010

That's a simple Excel inventory spreadsheet. You have obsoletely no idea what you are talking about. Most businesses large and small use Excel to maintain their inventory in various ways. I have an Excel spreadsheet with more than 45,000 colums that i run all sorts of queries. An Excel spread sheet when programmed with VB can do just about anything.
Old 05-18-2010
Vicvelcro

Dude/Chick,

I've been using a spreadsheet to keep track of my accounts since 1995. I've been doing ecommerce since before ebay or even Internet Service for Individuals and Business Internet Service - www.com existed. I was peddling sh*t on dialup BBSs back in the 80's. Had been married, had kids, buried some of my babies, and then divorced a year before ebay first opened for business.

I don't need an inventory style. I need a cross refereced lookup tool.

I asked for what I know I need.
Old 05-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Retire to your corners for now.

If anyone knows of a CROSS REFERENCED LOOKUP program that would help Vicvelcro, please post here.

I'm starting WW3 another day
Old 05-19-2010

Longevity: 82%

I envy you guys, I don't even know how to use excel. I've been trying to learn or come up with an efficient way to track all my data but, I've come up with zip. Excel is like learning a new language, I don't even know where to start.

-Albert Einstein
Old 05-19-2010
Vicvelcro

Start at A1 then top to bottom from left to right.

I'd offer to give you a blank of the one I'm using but it's been evolving for years and has now become an unwieldy beast with way too many tabs. It would swallow you whole.

Kidding - sortof.

Anyhow, PM me with a general idea of what you need. I can maybe scrounge something up you can use. Perhaps I'll even make a tutorial and post it in another thread.
Old 05-19-2010

Longevity: 82%

Thanks I will PM you probably in very the near future. Right now I probably don't have enough data to track in the first place or even know all the details I do need to track but, I know I will soon. I in essence have all the data I have right now trapped in my brain. Soon though I'm sure things will get a bit to heavy. I know at one point I'll need to learn how to manage all my information for now, I'm still only working on a couple accounts rather than the multitude of accounts people seem to have on this forum.

This is the information I'm tracking as of right now:
Paypal:

eBay:

craigslist:

Inventory:

This is set-up in Microsoft word with my account details and inventory following accordingly. Very amateur I'm sure, but it's doing the job for now. Hell, I know exactly how much inventory I have because I have so little. Everything is growing considerably though.

I don't know where I was going with this. I'm still learning everything I need to know to have a fully functional and successful business online. Even though I'm making more money than the average 21 year old chum, I doubt I even know all the basics of running a business like this let alone all the specifics and small details. Excel is the perfect example, I'm so far behind in learning this software I still don't even know all the relevant data I need to track in the first place let alone how to track it. I'm learning new things through trial and error everyday which is good. I've already been hit with shipping problems, customs delays, supplier problems, eBay hitting me with violations, Paypal holding my funds and more. I wish there was an eBay business strategy guide, I bet there is. I'm gonna go find one...

-Albert Einstein
Old 05-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

@jamblix, When I first joined I use 'stickies'. Now I do excel. It's not so difficult when you get going with it.
Old 05-23-2010

Longevity: 80%

I would say v-lookup and pivot table, but your a smart guy Vic I'm sure you know about those functions in excel. These are the functions I use when I want to find stuff, just my 2 pence.
Old 05-24-2010
Vicvelcro

I might be mistaken, but if those are in fact vbasic - I'm clueless. I know that excel can work better with vbasic, but I have never taken the time to get into that.

Hm. It doesn't look like anybody has done or knows how to do what I have in mind, so perhaps I need to change my mind.

I appreciate all the suggestions everyone has made so far. Including riversnew's attempt to be helpful.

Now, I'm at a loss. Perhaps somebody knows of something that will serve my purpose without a learning curve that is unfavorable. If so, please, I'm all ears.
Old 05-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Has anyone tried the new office 2010...I currently have the 07 version.

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 05-24-2010
Banned

Longevity: 85%

I could help I just took a college course on Microsoft Office 2007 and I'm no expert but I could give you some pointers
Old 05-25-2010

Longevity: 92%

Vicvelcro, this is what I have been using forever and a day. Works a treat for me. With it you can design your own database according to your needs. After that it's only a matter of setting a filter say "4497" to pull up all sites that used that card. More info needed about one of the sites? No prob just click on it or review the site info within the data table page.

If I want to pull up all buyers in a certain zipcode or city I can do it in a second.

If you wanted to see all websites that used card 5526 to pay hostgator you could see all those sites in a split second.

It's simple to make up your own fields. Whatever you need. The bitch would be keying in your mega databases. But that is what outsourcing to the phillipines is all about.

MyDatabase Home and Business | Database Management Software

The Following User Says Thank You to HairyOldEbayer For This Useful Post:
Burning (05-25-2010)