PC slow after fresh install help? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 06-30-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default PC slow after fresh install help?

hi got a computer just to browse net and view Pics for ebay etc

the guy said hes freshly installed XP which I believe

however when you put it under any stress its a bit jerky

it freezes when I put my memory stick in ? and says about USB 2 high speed(however it has service pack 3 on)???

its only low spec with 256mb ram but so is my dads computer and that copes with corel draw net etc etc no probs

Ive upped the virtual memory as it was low and its made a bit of difference

what shall I try first I have XP on disc for a new install

how do I completely wipe the hard disk and start a fresh?

thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-30-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Don't wipe and start fresh. Fix what you have. Much faster, in most cases.

USB v 1.1/2.0 is not a Windows issue. It is an issue of the motherboard or the USB PC card. I am guessing the motherboard is an outdated model that was produced when only USB 1.1 was available. You can buy an add-on card if you must have USB 2.0 funtionality. They are not expensive at all.

Next, you want to make sure all of your devices exist in the system and have updated drivers. Including and especially the CPU driver, the SMBus driver, and the Hard Disk controller driver.

Start by using the Windows Update site. Use internet explorer and then pull down the Tools menu. Partway down that menu, there's an option for Windows Update. When you get the site up, do NOT choose Express Update. Choose to do a Custom Update. Your system will be scanned for drivers etc... When the scan is complete, look in the left panel. Find the part that says Hardware. Click it. Look for updated drivers there.

Report back here later and send me a PM when you post here, so I'll know to come back and look.
Old 06-30-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 83%

hi my 3 usb modem works fine through the USB just not my memory stick

the computer freezes up when I went to run spybot s&D

I agree my motherboard is outdated how do I update thanks
Old 06-30-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Modem is a USB 1.1 device. Memory stick is USB 2.0 device. That's why you don't see the message when you plug in modem but DO see the message for the stick.

If spybot is freezing, you already have an infection that is blocking it probably. Even slow PCs can run spybot.

To upgrade the motherboard is a completely different subject than would be appropriate here. There are tons of tutorial websites and even videos on YouTube. It's easy to do. 6 screws. Couple of plugs. Run a factory disc. HOWEVER, your windows install probably won't work with new hardware. Thank Microsoft for the Genuine Advantage. Yeah, my derrier...

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 06-30-2010 at 08:36 AM.