Does anyone else ABSOLUTELY hate this?? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Does anyone else ABSOLUTELY hate this??

Where i live on every intersection there is a homeless person with a sign saying they need help with money or something like that. Does anyone else absolutely hate stopping in the lane where the homeless person walks next to you? I always feel so bad for them and always give them money. I know i've probably given some money to the ones that are ⊗⊗⊗⊗ homeless and are just absolutely lazy and just want money for walking back and forth but sometimes i just give them a dollar or 2 so i don't feel so awkward when they walk past me.

I especially hate stopping next to the ones who actually need the help. Like today for example. There was this like 80 year old man.... without 1 arm and one of his legs had a serious condition where it was really hard for him to walk. He definitely was not faking it. Till now... i still feel bad for this guy. Its like imprinted in my head. I feel sorry for him and really wish i could like fix his life for the better. I ended up giving him $50 and told him.. and i quote" dont you go spend this on alcohol or drugs" lol. And no i don't expect you to tell me you did a good thing, or your a good person. Because giving $50 to 1 person does not make you a good person. I really despise people who think like this.

But anyways.... i sometimes even take a different route or go straight instead of taking a left just b/c there is a homeless person there that walks past you if you go that way. I absolutely HATE it. All i do is feel sorry for them for the rest of the day like now.... does anyone else REALLY hate this as much as i do?????
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-23-2012

Longevity: 71%

Loophole more then 50% of these guys just do not want to work.....I saw a lot of them and a few times even talked to them....
They can get 50-200$ everyday might be more depending on the area so at the end of the day what do you think they do with that money???/RIGHT DRUGS....

they have food(foodstamps), even cash(around 100-200$ per month government give them) so when i see somebody asking for money i say GO AND WORK...Sure if i see somebody without hand,leg that's another story....

just my cents
Old 03-23-2012

Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

you gave a homeless person 50$

are you crazy?

good on you for wanting to help but thats excessive bro
Old 03-23-2012

Longevity: 71%

Yep his is smart gave $50 and he will receive $100

GIVE AND YOU WILL RECEIVE
The Following User Says Thank You to jamcocktail21 For This Useful Post:
Gman91189 (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

If you want to give to charity please give or donate your time to the American Red Cross. Or better yet, give money directly to the local homeless shelters. They work directly with the homeless community.

I have been giving $50-100 per month since I was 18 to the local shelters. I don't put that in my tax forms but I could. I live in Vegas so there is lots of people who lost it all here.

What I loved doing the most was helping the kids with their homework. I helped the kids with their homework 3-4 days a week for 6 years. Strangest part is that I don't have kids myself and don't want any. But if I can help the future generation out of a tough spot that is the best tip you can give them. They will also grow up helping others in time of need. I want to restart when things settle down a bit.
Old 03-23-2012

ha yeah,topping up the karma
Old 03-23-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I hate to say it, but I worked in downtown Chicago for 13 years, and I quickly stopped feeling bad for these people. You see the the same people staking out the same corner - or entrance to something popular - day after day, week after week and even year after year. Some of them do NOT want to take "no" for an answer and imply that they will get violent if refused.

One day I was at lunch with a friend, and her friend from the CIty Department of Human Services joined us. I asked why there was not more shelter space and help for these people. She told me that anyone in Chicago who calls 311 or asks for help can get a space in a shelter and services to get them back on track. I was puzzled, so I asked why there were still so many on the streets.

Apparently the shelters don't allow drinking or smoking....
Old 03-23-2012

Longevity: 82%

ill never forget this my mom owned a shop once selling tourist t-shirts i was watching the shop this was when i was a teenager guy comes in saying hs down on his luck and he needs money for gas and food

i was thinking maybe he was lying then he said he would pay it back he made me a promise so i gave him 30 bucks weeks went by then one day he comes back in my moms shop and pays me back the money

he said he would never forget what i did for him i would see him every once and a while he always stopped by and said thanks
Old 03-24-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

There was a study that said that people who ask for money make an average of $20,000 a year asking for money. I don't give money, I give food. If people don't want the food then oh well. I do wonder where they get those signs plus the markers.
Old 03-24-2012

Longevity: 75%

We have a big homeless problem in Swansea and I get there on business once a month. I buy a magazine called 'the Big Issue' which is sold by out of work people trying to get back on their feet. I buy three copies from three different sellers. Not much I know but I like to believe it helps a little.

We have a strange paradox in the UK - we have a system that is supposed to take care of the poor and inadequate and yet far too often the sick and the vulnerable seem to fall through the safety net - very sad and difficult to understand.

The good thing though is that bankers seem to be safe for the moment and we are taking real good care of these very important members of society by protecting their bonuses etc.
Old 03-24-2012

well said GT

yeah very strange

help the people who need it least

but in fairness there is help out there,you cant make someone take it if they dont want it

but i do believe there could be alot more done
Old 03-24-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Charity begins at home.

Ends there too for some.

Part of the troubles are the alleged admin costs some charities take B4 a person in need gets anything.

No longer give to people on the street asking for money. Instead I offer to go buy them something or take them to a shelter.

They must be shy because many decline but still expect money.

After spiders, I do not like those idiots who come up to the auto when stopped at traffic lights and offer to clean the windscreen.

I enjoy spraying them with the liquid from the wipers.

Life is not fair.
Old 03-25-2012
Threadstarter  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I just wanted to see what everyone had to say. I agree with everyone on this. I know giving $50 might of seemed stupid on my part. But that day i found $20 inside 7 11 in the candy bar isle and i helped a friend fix his car and got $30 for that so i basically got free $50. So i just though i might as well give it to the guy and let him enjoy it as much as he can. I usually give change or a dollar or 2 but i seriously think this guy deserved it. His physical condition made me feel really sorry for him and the giving the $50 away wont starv me to death or kill me.
Old 03-25-2012

Longevity: 76%

I've always thought, when i have enough money hopefully one day I would love to turn "my hood" where I grew up in to a Nicer place. I love giving back as much as I could, no matter if its volunteering my time or helping someone in need. However, in this situation I rarely do give money to people at stop lights.

One there's a job out there, no matter if its cutting the grass shoveling snow, working in a church as a janitor, MC Donald's anything, yea the job might suck, but its a job, a way to make money.

I honestly don't believe there's a job out there I can NOT do to put food on my table, and no begging for change is not a job

At the same time, you could tell the REAL homeless people from the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ homeless people, at least majority of the time, for example those handicap I "could" understand, to a point. Specially in the us we all know u can't be denied for a job because u are disabled there are many jobs disabled people can do

When there's an actual homeless in need I've offered a happy meal from MC Donald's, just blew them away.
My fav thing to do however is on the day of my birthday every month, give 10-20$ to a strange person, another, when ure in line at a gas station or something just give some one 5$ just cause.... we all could tell who sometimes is having a bad day or a bad life in general, from their appearance, what car they drive, area u live in(we all know about the hood, every city, state and country has one)

Give back people

Be the change you want to see in the world
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gman91189 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-26-2012), GTB (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012

i like your style gman

its good to surprise ppl with pure kindness and see the happiness in there eyes

good stuff man

its always the ppl who grew up with nothing that are the most generous
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTB For This Useful Post:
Gman91189 (03-25-2012), GreenBean (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 74%

I believe it is down to khama, do good deeds and you wil be repayed one way or another! everyone has their own opinions of what is the right way to give but aslong as peeps give something then thats all that matters..
The Following User Says Thank You to oooSMOKYooo For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012

Longevity: 79%

I saw a documentary couple months about homeless people in the UK, it followed couple homeless guys and how they go about their every day lifes - all them were spending their money on Alcohol and some were spending it on drugs well no surprise there but the last guy they were following said he had enough and wanted to break out of the system.

So the following day he asked the cast members if they can help him get a job sweeping up floors or at mcdonalds (because he was dressed so bad) anyway so the cast helped him secure the job in mcdonalds, he worked there for some time - the tv crew came back after couple yrs to check on everyone, this tramp who they helped get the mc donalds job was now the manager there, and was also just starting up his business..... it just goes to show.

They usually end up homesless because they lost motivation, determination and fire in the belly - yeah perhaps they lost their jobs and that him them bad - but you have to get back on your feet and start from the bottom, that last homeless guy is living proof! i nearly cried after hearing his story and i never cry...

This is the reason why you should give money to "chairty" and not homeless people, or what i think is even better, go buy them soem tea (PG TIPS!!) or a sandwich that way you know your money is being well spent!
Old 03-25-2012

Yea, I've been there without lights food, home u name it I've been through it all, and now, I don't ever see myself going through it, u could help ppl get back on their ft
That's the prob now a days when a legitamate person tries to get back on their ft ppl push them aside
Old 03-25-2012

In America, bums just don't want help, because there is tons of help here.

Our Gov. loves to throw money away.
Old 03-25-2012

Longevity: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanxful View Post
I saw a documentary couple months about homeless people in the UK, it followed couple homeless guys and how they go about their every day lifes - all them were spending their money on Alcohol and some were spending it on drugs well no surprise there but the last guy they were following said he had enough and wanted to break out of the system.

So the following day he asked the cast members if they can help him get a job sweeping up floors or at mcdonalds (because he was dressed so bad) anyway so the cast helped him secure the job in mcdonalds, he worked there for some time - the tv crew came back after couple yrs to check on everyone, this tramp who they helped get the mc donalds job was now the manager there, and was also just starting up his business..... it just goes to show.

They usually end up homesless because they lost motivation, determination and fire in the belly - yeah perhaps they lost their jobs and that him them bad - but you have to get back on your feet and start from the bottom, that last homeless guy is living proof! i nearly cried after hearing his story and i never cry...

This is the reason why you should give money to "chairty" and not homeless people, or what i think is even better, go buy them soem tea (PG TIPS!!) or a sandwich that way you know your money is being well spent!
Nice one Tanxful

It's far too easy to discard and denigrate people who are 'down on their luck'

I think we should sometimes look at our own positions and realise how little it would take to turn our own lives upside down.

We had a friend many years ago who ran a sheep farm. Then came Foot & Mouth. His flock were killed and burnt in front of him and then 7 days later his wife killed herself - she couldn't understand what was happening to them and she died of a broken heart.

The compensation came through the week after his farm was repossessed by the bank and the receivers took that. He eventually was entitled to what remained. Not much for a lifetimes work

By that time he was a down and out living on the streets of Brighton. Fortunately one Christmas the Salvation Army there picked him up and contacted his daughter who went and collected him. She bought him back to Wales and helped him to sort his life out.

I know all of this because he has been our shepherd and farm worker for 3 years now. He retires in June and he now has a small rented cottage in the village.

Often times all people need is a hand up - not a hand out - just a hand up. To me that's what the 'Big Issue' does.

Be careful not to judge too quickly. There are many ex servicemen out there who have given all for their country and gone out of their minds with what they have been through - but let's not give them anything eh? they'll only spend it on booze and drugs wont they?

And who could blame them

Old 03-25-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I try not to judge but at the same time they cannot be allowed to sit on street like that. I figure there is welfare and whoever needs it can get it in developed countries, and those ones chose not to.
I feel worse for people in developing countries that have no system to fall back on. In Uk and Europe they are almost always bogus and are actually earning, supplementing welfare. If you are down on your luck go to a charity shelter or welfare, dont embarass yourself and others by lying on the streets and peeing yourself.
There was some guy outside my old work that got so many charities, council etc trying to help him, but he just wanted to sit around eating and leaving piles of litter, and making passers by feel uncomfortable - what about other peoples rights not to see his cr ap all over the place.
I feel sorry for people with mental issues but the authorities should force these people in to some kind of other area where they can get help.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 03-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman91189 View Post
At the same time, you could tell the REAL homeless people from the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ homeless people, at least majority of the time, for example those handicap I "could" understand, to a point. Specially in the us we all know u can't be denied for a job because u are disabled there are many jobs disabled people can do
This is one area where I have to disagree. It is TRUE that in the US, you cannot refuse to hire someone because they are disabled. So, employers just refuse to hire them for some other reason. Let's face it, when you have multiple applicants for each job, you can be choosy as to whom you hire.

Employers really do not want to acommodate the disabled when they can hire an able-bodied person to do the same job. They - rightly or wrongly - feel that the disabled are a distraction, or that if they ever have to make a case to fire them, that they are going to be open to a discrimination lawsuit.

Having said that, I think there ARE too many people on disability here in the US. Granted, some disabilities do not show themselves so openly, but far too many people seem to qualify for Social Security Disability based on things that can be ⊗⊗⊗⊗d or are minor. The Tribune had an article about a woman who gets a monthly check based on - I think - Bi-Polar disorder, meaning that she does not work well with other people. To my way of thinking, you have to make an effort to fit in with others in the workplace. But, then again, I am not an expert on these matters.

My point is, that people who are REALLY disabled don't have it so easy in the US. It is one thing to have a law, but enforcement is another matter. How can you prove that a disabled person was not hired based on their disability, when an employer can cite 50 other factors?

Last edited by jeffweico; 03-25-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Closed Thread