eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Football Fans (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/55111-football-fans.html)

Sandy D 01-07-2013 11:19 PM

Football Fans

Watching Alabama kick the crap out of Notre Dame makes me wonder why we dont see changes in how these games are picked.

Clearly ND is to me and has not been even a top 5 let alone a top 10 team in college.

They have been over rated all year and never really beat anyone with talent badly and escaped at least 3 losses.

Looking at this ND team I just dont see them being able to beat anyone in the top 5 at seasons end.

This is not a good thing for college football and needs to be change.

I think even Ohio St who will be the only undefeated team left would beat ND as ND is not physical and not very quick.

Thoughts.

Playoffs might be the answer but in this case it appears it would have to go 6 deep to include teams that lose at the end of the season by slim margins because like Alabama who got beat by A&M got lucky to get back into this game.

Clearly Alabama is a very good physical team and deserves to win the championship but something needs to be change.

zoneout 01-08-2013 02:00 AM

Nothing will change. NCAA makes zillions off these games. ND has the largest following in the country. Watch.... this game will have the highest tv ratings in the last 20 years in college football.

slim jim 01-08-2013 12:49 PM

they rode ND to #1 because they knew they would bring them the most 'action'

Sandy D 01-08-2013 04:09 PM

I thought it was funny how Brent Musburger made Notre Dame out to be back from their dominance as a football team. Typical Musberger then changes like clockwork to ND has a lot of work to do to be up there with the likes of some of the elite teams.

I cannot ever remember ND being dominant ever. What winning three Championship in 40 years is dominant?

When I was a kid ND was "kinda" popular but once Holtz left they have been pretty much nothing to even talk about.

AmazonStealth 01-08-2013 05:14 PM

It is all about the money, which is why they arent getting rid of all bowl games, but there is a 4 team playoff on the way (2014?), which eventually will be 8 teams.

Here is what I think.....

1. It is all about the money
2. People complain about all the bowl games, but yet people continue to watch and the ratings only get better every year, which is why they arent going anywhere.
3. Ratings don't really matter when it comes to quality. Its all about scheduling, which makes a full circle with money. A lighter schedule, essentially means more money when it comes to bowl appearance, and even more money for a bowl win.
4. Did ND deserve their spot in the BCS NC, yes of course. Their schedule was solid, and their performance proved it. Even though they were number 1 doesnt mean they are number 1, which is where the 4 team playoff will come into play in 2014.

I could go on and on with this, but it doesnt really matter, since nothing will ever be perfect. The 4 team playoff is a right move for everyone, as if there were a 4 team playoff this year ND would have been out and most likely have been Oregon and Alabama.

Sandy D 01-08-2013 06:35 PM

I agree, Oregons speed would have destroyed ND.

Playoff is needed badly.

Alabama had a lot of luck teams losing ahead of them the last few weeks but ended up destroying ND and like others deserve to be called champions.

AmazonStealth 01-08-2013 06:59 PM

Thats the issue with college currently. One loss and your season for a BCS title is pretty shot, depending on a rare occurrence of another high rated teams loss. With the 4 team playoff it will allow a great team to have a loss maybe even two and still compete for a national championship. These will help eliminate soft schedules as well as a good vs a great team in the national championship. Good (Note Dame) vs Great (Alabama) is huge difference from great (Oregon) vs great team (Alabama).

GTB 01-08-2013 08:47 PM

sandy dee u had me excited then....till i realized your talking american football :ranger:

AmazonStealth 01-08-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 408614)
sandy dee u had me excited then....till i realized your talking american football :ranger:

Soccer in the USA is not popular and never will be.

slim jim 01-08-2013 09:44 PM

I love the playoff idea but only 4 team? 2 games is blah, 8 makes it a real playoff with the chance of some amazing match ups wed never see

zoneout 01-08-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 408614)

Not even... this is amateur football - you have to be a zealot, gambler, or connected to the school to be interested.

zoneout 01-08-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim jim (Post 408625)
I love the playoff idea but only 4 team? 2 games is blah, 8 makes it a real playoff with the chance of some amazing match ups wed never see

Exactly why it will never approach the excitement of college hoops tournament.

zoneout 01-08-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazonStealth (Post 408618)

Kind of puzzling too since it is about the most popular kids sport played in the burbs.

Only excitement I recall is when Pele came here but he was over the hill by then.

slim jim 01-08-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoneout (Post 408628)
Exactly why it will never approach the excitement of college hoops tournament.

i love the nfl playoffs but i don't think anything can touch march madness

zoneout 01-09-2013 02:54 PM

NFL golden era was mid-80s. Da Bears, The Hogs, Madden in his prime, Fun Bunch, Montana, The Sack Exchange.... Football was fun back then.

Sandy D 01-10-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim jim (Post 408639)
i love the nfl playoffs but i don't think anything can touch march madness

College football and college basketball in my life has been more exciting then pro games. Not saying I never followed or watched them.

I enjoy pros but really enjoy the college games.

GTB 01-10-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazonStealth (Post 408618)

Hmmm i think your wrong my friend

football aka soccer is growing in the usa

and the us national team is quite good too

"never be popular" is strong statement

slim jim 01-10-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 409114)
College football and college basketball in my life has been more exciting then pro games. Not saying I never followed or watched them.

I enjoy pros but really enjoy the college games.

college games can definitely get crazy

slim jim 01-10-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 409431)

usa soccer team has been better than i have ever seen it. looking forward to the next world cup. we can score but we need to work on our defense. they rely too much on being physical rather than skill

GTB 01-11-2013 08:10 PM

aye they are getting alot better as the years pass

we have some of your national team players playing the the premier league (the best league in the world) i mite add

i think soccer will become more and more popular as your national side progress:thumb:

i like dempsey...good player

AmazonStealth 01-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoneout (Post 408917)
NFL golden era was mid-80s. Da Bears, The Hogs, Madden in his prime, Fun Bunch, Montana, The Sack Exchange.... Football was fun back then.

Are you kidding me? Check out the ratings, demand, tv deals, player/coach contracts, etc. Never been better, more popular and more in demand.

AmazonStealth 01-11-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 409431)

Soccer will never be close to any major sport in the USA. Just because it is everywhere else, doesnt mean it will translate into America.