UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales... - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 09-12-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default re: FUN & PROFIT: How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Very cool! Thanks TGMT! I will be on the lookout now in my hunting ventures.
The Following User Says Thank You to novemberrain1970 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (09-12-2014)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-14-2014

Longevity: 64%
Default re: FUN & PROFIT: How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Just want to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU for this thread.

This morning I went to the local car boot with this thread in mind.

I bought 3 power supplies (didn't know what was better and the only ones I recognised were phone chargers and laptop supplies, so I just went for the biggest most complicated looking ones) for £10. 2 of them are for old fashioned routers, worth £2-3 if they even sell. The other is for a recliner chair (quite generic with interchangeable plug on the end so fits different brands) and new replacements of these are £150! Hoping to get at least £50.

I also got 2 job lots of MCB circuit breakers. Didn't really know what they were worth and most are standard consumer ones, but altogether for £15 I got 23 breakers plus a DeWalt case to carry them in and this other circuit breaker thingy I don't have a clue what it does, but its the biggest I've seen. 5 of them should sell for £4-£5 and the other 17 for £2-3 each. The big thing is £200 new! (440v 11KW) and again should sell for upwards of £50!

I also found some Harman Kardon speakers for £3 which I thought I'd take a punt at. Should get £20-30 for those!

So should get over £100 profit from all this! Wouldn't have taken a second glance at any of these items without this thread so again a massive thank you to TGMT² and please keep 'em coming I'm hooked!

Last edited by aniseed; 09-14-2014 at 09:05 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aniseed For This Useful Post:
aspkin (09-15-2014), GreenBean (10-13-2014), luverlyjuberly (01-16-2015), TGMT² (09-14-2014), unkown5454 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 76%

Nice video! Definitely important to test them.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (09-14-2014)
Old 09-15-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Desktop power supply units (PSU) are my biggest profit margin items. I really look for the custom built desktops, they usually have the better PSU. Desktops from Dell or HP have crappy ones but they still sell. And people need to know about the different types of rating for desktop PSU's. Some are not rated but the ones that are officially rated come in 80 plus rating. Dont be fooled, rating only in stages of 80 rating, not 85 or 90.

For desktop PSU there is 6 ratings--80 plus, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and titanium. Almost everyone I talk too thinks that gold is the top rated, nope its titanium. That is where I get them to lower the prices on the PSU's and I make more in margins.
Old 09-15-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
Desktops from Dell or HP have crappy ones but they still sell.
To clarify, that's strictly their entry level desktops. Both of those companies offer legitimate business line models, of which I personally use.

Now, HP, Dell, Lenovo's entry level desktop lines are the most popular and literally are all made the exact same in the exact same factories. I wish I had the article that talked about this like 2 years ago. But, look at their cases. The low end ones are literally all identical in design and garbage quality. The article talked about how they were all made in the exact same factory. The only difference is the brand label. I think the PSU's in these are like around 280 watts?
Old 10-12-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 91%
Default New update: Oct. 12th 2014

Time for another update!

Let's look into buying these "FILTERS" that nobody seems to want at the Garage Sales.

Filters is a pretty broad term since there is SOOOooo many variations, but I will try to cover the ones you are likely to see throughout the year that you should be getting..

1) Of course, the most common and best selling is Water Filters, so anything that filters water get it. There are filters for your faucet, inline and cartridge filters for you refrigerator, even filters for Spa's and Pools. Also be sure and familiar yourself with what a osmosis filter looks like too, you will see plenty of those.

The rule of thumb here is Brand Names, meaning if it has a recognizable Brand Name, then it will be worth a considerable amount. Generic filters are good if you can get them in bulk.

Typical Spa and Pool filters (so you know what they look like):

2) Let's move into the "Auto Parts filters" since you are going to be seeing a lot of these everyday you hit the sales.

You would be surprised on how many actual filters there are on a newer car.

Just off the top of my head I can list several: Air, Oil, Cabin, Charcoal, Transmission, Fuel and even a Catalytic Converter is a type of filter.

Wouldn't it be nice to find a New Catalytic Converter every once in a while? Those sell for $200-$800, but don't expect to find those to often.

But you will see the others on a consistent basis. Most don't sell for much, but they do bring in a nice profit margin every year. Especially when you find the factory ones... Last year I found a case of Factory BMW Cabin Filters, and made a killing on them.

Helpful Hint: K&N Filters are Great Sellers New and Used, and you will find these frequently.

3) Familiarize yourself with the acronym "HEPA", because when you see it on a Air Filter, it is generally worth money.

You will find HEPA on products such as A/C Filters, Funaces, Air Handlers, Vacuum Cleaner Bags, Air Purifiers, and almost on any type of Mask (medical-paint-industrial)

Air Filters that don't say HEPA can have value too, but they will have to be branded. Honeywell products are highly regarded and most sell very well.

Good news for us is, our competition at the Garage Sales won't buy filters because what are the odds that they will find one with the correct size and type for their needs.?

So, in short...if you see a filter any filter, regardless of what it goes to, consider buying it. PEOPLE NEED FILTERS and most filters need to be replaced many times over.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
123 (10-13-2014), aspkin (10-13-2014), JamesNorth101 (10-13-2014), unkown5454 (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%
Default re: (NEW update Jan 23rd): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

I can attest.. my fridge water filter is $50 a pop and I need a fresh one every 6-months. They're just as expensive as the fridge after so many years. :/
Old 10-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default re: (NEW update Jan 23rd): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Very interesting TGMT, thanks for spreading the knowledge!

And just out of curiosity if you see a filter with some heavy usage, would you still get it?
Old 10-13-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
And just out of curiosity if you see a filter with some heavy usage, would you still get it?
Now why would someone buy a used filter?

BUT: Yes for K&N Filters as they are lifetime guaranteed and are washable. And have a Great resell value even used.

AND: Yes for Catalytic Converters in some circumstances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
123 (10-13-2014), aspkin (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Now why would someone buy a used filter?

BUT: Yes for K&N Filters as they are lifetime guaranteed and are washable. And have a Great resell value even used.

AND: Yes for Catalytic Converters in some circumstances.
lol figured, good stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Yes, washable K&N are awesome. Use them in all of my cars forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (10-13-2014)
Old 12-08-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 54%

Quote:
How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

_
I've been loving this thread; I thought I had found all the things with hidden value at garage sales, but you've had some good ones! Can't wait for the next update!
Old 12-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 73%

This is a nice thread of yours TGMT², has the community spirit feel to it.

I like your thinking & some of the product sourcing methods you have described here.
TGMT² (12-14-2014)
Old 01-23-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default (UPDATE Jan. 23rd 15): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

I'm going to take a new approach to this thread and simplify things so we can have more continuous content...

So basically one main item at a time.

Today's item is "Tool Battery Chargers"

These are Very easy to find (I average 1 or 2 a week), easy to ship as most fit in a Padded Flat Rate Envelope, and are usually sold at most Garage Sales for just $1. or $2. each.

Average eBay Selling Price is $20. - $50. ea. and they account for about $1000. of my sales per year.

ALSO: Very easy to test, just test them as you would a power supply like I showed you in a previous post above. If they are putting out power, than they are probably Good.

Don't hesitate to buy any of them, they will sell! Most popular brands are..

DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Makita, Coleman, Snap-On, Blue-Point and several others.

Stay away from anything that Harbor Freight sells, most of their tools are labeled "Central Pneumatic" which is considered junk in the industry.

When you start buying these you will in some instances be getting the actual batteries and tools that go with them that also have a lot of worth. Buying the Chargers is a good starting point to learning about the tools and batteries associated with them.

Helpful Hint: DeWalt & Milwaukee batteries still have a significant value even if they are bad.

Last edited by TGMT²; 01-24-2015 at 01:19 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
aniseed (01-31-2015), aspkin (01-24-2015), Cracker100 (01-23-2015), Klemantina (01-24-2015), RosieTosie (05-03-2015), Salvo (02-27-2015)
Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Default Re: (NEW update Jan 23rd): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Do you have problems selling any of them because of the brands? I know DeWalt is a popular one to coun.terf.eit.
Old 01-23-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default Re: (NEW update Jan 23rd): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Do you have problems selling any of them because of the brands?
No, never a issue in 10 years.

They are used, and sold as such. I might list a single DeWalt Charger maybe 6 times a year or so. They are always priced for a quick sale.

Most counterfeit sellers are selling new with quantity.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (01-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default UPDATE for 2-23-2015

Today we are going to talk about one of my Favorite Items to get and how to test them.

Garage Door Opener REMOTES:

There are 100's of Styles of Garage Door Remotes. And even the really old ones are worth a good deal of money considering you will rarely pay over a $1. per remote.

Old Style Remote:

On average I find about 3 remotes per month. Average selling price is between $20-$50. each on eBay and they sell fast!

I'm going to show you a really easy way to test these so you know they work before listing them. You only need 2 things:

1) A Volt Meter to make sure the battery is good.

2) And a cheap Frequency Counter you can buy on eBay for less than $20.

eBay LINK: (to buy your own Frequency Counter) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...quency&_sop=15

Below I made a YouTube Video on how easy it is to test these.

Anyway, this is another common item that most people won't buy at sales because they don't usually need one or they are unfamiliar with the worth.

Last edited by TGMT²; 02-24-2015 at 12:23 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
JamesNorth101 (02-24-2015), miketyson (02-23-2015), Salvo (02-27-2015), unkown5454 (02-23-2015), yankee (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: (FEB update is Here!): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

TGMT squared - time to open up the garage doors...on these garage sales
Old 02-24-2015

Longevity: 62%

Quote:
I'll do one in a couple of hours, I fill requests. I even made a YouTube video for it last week.

Seriously? The stuff I have posted is usually found every week at the sales. Maybe get up a little earlier and stay out a little longer? The goal is to go to as many sales possible in one day.
I'm always up early and stay out late. My wife is a garage sale addict no stopping her! Most be the Texas garage sales they keep the good stuff hidden. Seriously I've been looking for everything posted never finding anything posted but I will continue to search.
TGMT² (02-24-2015)
Old 03-01-2015

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: (FEB update is Here!): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
What area do you visit garage sales? I feel like where I live there isn't anything good going on in terms of garage sales.
Right now in my area it is a little bit cold still, so they dont pick up till summer time. BUt then they take off so have many to chose from. Also depends on what size of a town you live in too my area has about a million ppl so it is decent.

BUt dont get me wrong have also taken some road trips to the rural mountain area towns and have actually found some really good stuff. JUst gotta get a idea of what stuff is worth. ANd this tread is a really good start for the newbies and old heads alike
Old 03-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 62%

agree this thread is fantastic.

i live in new york city, and I just don't seem to find any gems at the garage sales i see around here. Just people trying to sell some of their extra crap, but nothing really interesting.

I imagined in more rural areas you would be more likely to find some treasures, but never had any experience with this type of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosunsplease View Post
Right now in my area it is a little bit cold still, so they dont pick up till summer time. BUt then they take off so have many to chose from. Also depends on what size of a town you live in too my area has about a million ppl so it is decent.

BUt dont get me wrong have also taken some road trips to the rural mountain area towns and have actually found some really good stuff. JUst gotta get a idea of what stuff is worth. ANd this tread is a really good start for the newbies and old heads alike
Old 05-03-2015

Longevity: 52%

This thread is AWESOME - thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us!!! Please keep it coming!
The Following User Says Thank You to mileni For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (05-03-2015)