UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales... - Page 4 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 05-03-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: (FEB update is Here!): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileni View Post
Please keep it coming!
Sure! Whenever anyone asks, it prompts me to do a new update.

I have a really good one in mind, one of my biggest (overall) money makers. I should be able to get in done this week for you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
aniseed (05-03-2015), aspkin (05-03-2015), gosunsplease (05-03-2015), unkown5454 (05-03-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%
Default Re: (FEB update is Here!): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Is summer time the best for yard sales?

If so, my body is ready.
Old 05-03-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Is summer time the best for yard sales?

If so, my body is ready.
Your "body is ready" ??? LMAO!

Summer Time best? No not here, I am in the Phoenix area and we have almost 3 months of temperatures over 105 °F with many days going over 115 °F

Fun facts about this area:

During the Summer here, we have lot's of nighttime lows of 90 °F, seriously it's that hot at 3am in the morning.

ALSO: During the Summer here, the tap water from the kitchen faucet is hot on both sides. (Can you imagine?)

During the Summer here, Don't even think about picking up anything metal at a Garage Sale. 2 years ago I picked up a Space Shuttle Belt Buckle off the table at a sale and it blistered my hand. I use gloves now during the summer like pot holders. LOL!..

Typical forecasts during some weeks here in the Summer:

But even with all that, we still have Garage Sales here during the Summer, but only about a 1/4 of what you would usually see.
Old 05-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Well, I always thought the best yard sales were early in the morning. Many around me are done by 12 noon. So, heat is never a huge issue. I just don't know when is the most popular season for people to offload.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
I just don't know when is the most popular season for people to offload.
It just depends on your area..

But the Best way to find out is to get out there every week and get started. As long as you are committed to going each and every week, everything else will fall into place.

IMO the most important thing to be successful is establishing your routes. After you get your first one dialed in, then start mapping another one. I have 5 really good routes through certain neighborhoods and cities. 5 hours and 50 miles is my average each Saturday.

ALSO: Using the newspaper and Craigslist to find sales is a waste of time unless you live in an area with limited sales. Just get yourself into Middle and Upper-Middle Class Neighborhoods and look for signs.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Sure! Whenever anyone asks, it prompts me to do a new update.
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
Please do a new update!
The Following User Says Thank You to aniseed For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015

Longevity: 53%

Great thread! But too pity we don't have such garage sales here :(
Old 05-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%
Smile Re: (FEB update is Here!): How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales..

Hi all, First proper post here so , Hi everone

Loved the thread TGMT, I personally have also been going to car boot sales here in the UK now for ages, and have even started selling at them recently due to aquiring thousands of pounds of second hand stock for a few hundred.

First of all the thread was brilliant, I loved a lot of the items that you listed as some of them are already on my list as well. Sorry if I am partially hijacking the thread, I just thought maybe my experience may be of use to people in conjunction with yours.

When at car boot sales, the market itself greatly defines the price range, So bid accordingly.I go to a market on a saturday which has lots of "irregular sellers"(People who are selling their own items from home, as opposed to "regulars" who sell at the markets weekly, often buying up the irregulars stock and selling them at a much higher price.) So be sure to use the location to your advantage, If its a cheap market, you bid cheaper.
On the Sunday, The market is much bigger, Better and busy. More oportunities to find hidden Gems. Different area, though at the saturday market you can get certain items a lot cheaper. It's just getting to know your area.
Hide your emotions well, ask what they are looking for price wise on an item, and then negotiate, always negotiate. I would say 75-80% of my sales go something like this , They ask me a price of an item, I give them a slightly higher price than I want for it, They say no and go to walk away, I ask them how much they want to pay for it, they give me their lowest price, and I negotiate upwards to a comfortable profit level.

Second of all, Look at common older items,for instance certain video games like grand theft auto (or any classic loved ones,Spyro,Metal Gear Solid,GTA,Tomb Raider etc ), mainly any of the playstation1 ones, or san andreas, but any will do, I pick these up weekly for 50p - £1. do an ebay search for them , it speaks for itself. Same goes for Final fantasy VII on the PS1. The profit margins are just brilliant, and postage is minimal.

3. GET THERE EARLY. I cannot stress this enough, 90% of the actual good stuff is sold by 4-5 AM where I am. It's the same faces on these cold wet mornings bar a few irregular ones every week and we all know each other,When you get there early It's a scramble, every collector rushes to get around the sellers arriving and unloading their stock. Everybody has their own little niche; You just need to find yours. Common ones that you always hear are "any phones, laptops, Games consoles (Old boxed Snes and Sega consoles are more common than you think, Ever found a sega multimega for next to nothing? Wait until you get that rush :P) Power tools sell like hotcakes, and jewlery, YES real jewlery, I saw a guy 3 weeks ago get a handful of gold chains with a couple of rings, and a gold cross pendant with rubys and emeralds encrusted into it for £75. As soon as the woman put the box down onto the table everyone scrambled for it, That guy was just the quickest that morning. I could not believe people were selling such high value items as such cheap prices. I have seen everything fromTV's and HI-FI systems to full pokemon card colections go for a quid.

4.Take a torch,to see items properly early on and wrap up warm. Trust me.

5. Get to know people when you are there, Some great contacts are people who do house clearances, Other collectors like yourself;I have traded up on so many items this way, I have things I dont want that they do. And vice versa. It works out really well for you all, and Private collectors, It always pays to have a few of these guys numbers to hand, If you happen to stumble upon anything they might like give them a call and the chances are they will buy it for much more than an average buyer at the market (or maybe even ebay!). Just by turning up at the markets if you gradually speak to people you will meet these guys.

I apologize for rambling though I hope someone gets some use out of it all.

If anyone has any questions about markets etc or anything to do with them, Shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help you out.

TerminalVelocity

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 05-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TerminalVelocity For This Useful Post:
Callidus (05-03-2015), RosieTosie (05-03-2015), unkown5454 (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015

Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Your "body is ready" ??? LMAO!

Summer Time best? No not here, I am in the Phoenix area and we have almost 3 months of temperatures over 105 °F with many days going over 115 °F

Fun facts about this area:

During the Summer here, we have lot's of nighttime lows of 90 °F, seriously it's that hot at 3am in the morning.

ALSO: During the Summer here, the tap water from the kitchen faucet is hot on both sides. (Can you imagine?)

During the Summer here, Don't even think about picking up anything metal at a Garage Sale. 2 years ago I picked up a Space Shuttle Belt Buckle off the table at a sale and it blistered my hand. I use gloves now during the summer like pot holders. LOL!..

Typical forecasts during some weeks here in the Summer:

But even with all that, we still have Garage Sales here during the Summer, but only about a 1/4 of what you would usually see.
You forgot to mention the wonderful Dust Storms that roll in around Monson Season. Yup Yup grew up in a wee little town about two hours from you TGMT still member them storms
Old 05-04-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default May 2015 Update!

WOW! Time flies between updates. My goal was at least one a month, I guess the members that are interested need to remind me that I'm behind.

Today I am giving you my favorite (most profitable) sales item..

Home Stereo Speakers and their Components.

We are mostly going to break down the Components in this thread since they are a Great source of revenue and easy to ship. And Speakers can be found almost every week at the Sales.

Let's first talk about the Components of the normal Speaker. Each Speaker has 5 simple Components and I'll list them in the order of worth:

1) Mid/Subwoofer Speaker ..The biggest Speaker

2) Tweeter ..The small Speaker

3) Crossover ..Found at the back of the Speaker to connect the Speaker Wires (Typical Crossover shown below)..

4) Speaker Grill ..They cover the Speakers

5) Cabinet/Case ..Houses everything

Unless these are Bose or Bookshelf or Super High End Speakers, I alway take the Speakers apart and sell the Components Separately or in matching pairs. Matching pairs means I sell the 2 tweeters together, Crossovers together and so on. I found selling the Speaker parts vs. selling the whole Speaker has 2 advantages, the 1st being you will make more money this way and 2nd...it's a more manageable shipping package. Exception of course is Bose and really High End Speakers, and some smaller Good Bookshelf Speakers.

Let's do a step by step on taking a Speaker apart, a very simple process.

1) 1st you want to remove the Speaker cover/grill. These are usually secured using push/pull resistant fasteners. You just need to pull easily around each corner of the grill and remove it.

2) Next you want to remove the biggest Speaker (mid/sub). They are usually secured by 4 screws. After you remove the 4 screws, gently lift the Speaker and remove the 2 wires that you see connected.

3) Now do the same as #2 with the small Speaker. (Tweeter)

4) And last: turn the Speaker to the back side and remove the 4 screws on the Crossover and gently lift it. You will see 4 long wires that need to be pulled through and out of the Cabinet. Since these have the circuit boards exposed, be careful not to hit/move/touch the capacitors on them.

If you guy don't understand the process, let me know and I will make a video for you.

Now we need to inspect and clean everything.

1) Let's start with the biggest Speaker since those are usually worth the most. What you mainly want to look at is the foam on the speaker next to the frame. If the foam has holes or cracks, then it's probably not worth selling. I use a "kabuki make-up brush slightly misted with windex and brush the speaker face lightly for cleaning.

2) Tweeters are the small Speakers, and I've never really found a bad one of these. Just check the Speaker wire connections and make sure they aren't to lose. If you are familiar with using a OHM meter, you can check the resistance between the 2 Speaker connections...the reading should fall betwwen 4 to 8 OHM's. (or near)

3) The Crossovers are not an easy sell (about a 50% sell through rate), but usually only take a few minutes to post a listing. If they don't sell within 3 months, they go in the donate bin.

4) If the Speaker Grills look to be in Very Good condition, then you should clean them real good. The way I do it is take them to the kitchen sink and use the dish sprayer on them, then take them outside and shake them out and let them air dry. After they dry take a lint roller to them, and they should look almost new when you're done.

5) Cabinet/Case: Goes straight to Goodwill for donation.

Most of the time I get these Speakers for $5 to $10 a pair. But since I have a good knowledge of Speaker worth, I will pay more when needed.

Familiar yourself with the higher end Speaker makers like:

Bose, PolkAudio, Monitor Audio, Infinity...and more.

ALSO: Don't hesitate to buy the Powered Subwoofer boxes either, their control boards usually sell near the $100 mark and the Speaker inside goes for $50-$75 They usually look like one of these...

Last edited by TGMT²; 05-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
123 (05-05-2015), aniseed (05-18-2015), aspkin (05-05-2015), barkley70 (05-10-2015), muzzie (05-07-2015), plumsake2 (05-05-2015), rsot (06-21-2015)
Old 05-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default re: UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Woah now thats very interesting, I see speakers thrown out all the time, never would of thought of taking them apart, thanks for sharing!
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (05-05-2015)
Old 06-13-2015

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity View Post
When at car boot sales...
This thread is great so thanks for the updates... i'm also from the UK so this information is very good!

I've sold at bootsales before but never been a "buyer" however i think i'll give it ago!!!!

Worth a try :D

Last edited by TGMT²; 06-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Default re: UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Ahhh, TGMT, I taught someone stea/lth who specializes in this category. They focus more on receivers, but like you, they know the brands and what to look for and can take them apart and repair them.

Incredible profit if you are knowledgeable on this topic as so many people just throw equipment out thinking it's worthless.
Old 06-14-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Are there any places in NY that have boot sales that anyone might know of?
Old 06-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpizzl View Post
Are there any places in NY that have boot sales that anyone might know of?
Try searching online for Garage Sales, Yard Sales, Moving Sales. Moving Sales are great because people don't want to take a lot of their stuff with them so they will discount their stuff super cheap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gara...ork&gws_rd=ssl

New York Garage Sales, Yard Sales & Estate Sales by Map | New York, NY | gsalr.com
Old 06-20-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default JUNE 2015 update..

Hey! I'm doing this months update without being reminded. YAY!

Subject for June 2015 is about Firearm Accessories that you will see and what to buy. I have sold every firearm accessory that I listed on eBay even if was broken and/or missing parts regardless of the condition. It is one of the most sought after items on eBay.

This subject matter covers a huge gambit of items, but I'll focus on what you are likely to find monthly and during the year. I could write a full post for each item listed below, but I'm just going to summarize everything now so you can add them to your arsenal of items to look for.

1) The most common and profitable item is Holsters, This one item alone accounts for about $1000+ profit per year for me. If you see a Gun Holster, buy it! If possible when listing these, try and include at least one gun that the Holster fits in the eBay title, I found by doing this you can increase the price by sometimes double.

Also Clip/Magazine, Handcuff, Radio, Mace/Pepper Spray and Flashlight Holsters & Holders are included in this catagory.

2) The 2nd most common item is Gun Grips and Rifle Stocks. The factory ones are usually worth the most, but the aftermarket ones sell as well. Something to note here is: Be sure and ask the seller what they fit, this can save you a lot of research time if they know.

3) Let's talk a little about Reloading Equipment. This stuff usually sells the same day you list it. It consists of Presses, Dies, Powder Measurers, Grain Scales, Primer Feeders, Cartridge Holders, Brass Cleaners just to name a few. Don't be afraid to buy the old rusty vintage stuff, there are 100's of collectors out there just combing eBay listings looking for it. The picture below will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

4) You are going to see a lot of actual Guns at the sales during the year, but unless you are just wanting it for yourself they usually aren't worth buying for resale. The exception to this is Black Powder Guns because they are usually broken and low priced. When I buy these, I take them apart and sell the components seperately..Barrel, Stock, Trigger and Hammer assemblies all sell fast and are easy to ship.

5) Another item you are likely to see frequently is Scopes, Scope Mounts, Spotting Scopes and Sight Assemblies. Rule of thumb here is buy them if they are cheap, even broken Scopes have value. If someone has a Scope at a Sale and they are asking a lot for it, be sure and do a eBay search on it...some Scopes are worth in excess of a $1000.

6) Let's cover Clips/Magazines briefly since then are commonly found. eBay rules state you cannot list a Clip/Magazine that holds more than 10 Rounds..AND you must denote this in the listing and the title. This is another item that asking the seller what it went to would be a Good Idea.

7) Something that you would probably pass up, but shouldn't if you see them is the "Empty Factory OEM Box" that the Gun came in. Sometimes they are carboard and others are plastic cases. Believe it or not, a vintage cardboard factory box can be worth in excess of $100. The picture below, is most likely a 1960's Colt box with instructions and worth about $200+. Most newer plastic boxes sell for $30-$40 ea.

I have a Very Good knowledge of Firearms and Accessories. Back in the 1980's I had and maintained a FFL (Federal Firearms License) which was required for resale of New and Used Guns.

So if you need help on something you purchased on this subject, PM me and I'll give you an appraised value if I can, or help you with identifying a part or accessory.

Last edited by TGMT²; 06-20-2015 at 07:40 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
123 (06-21-2015), aspkin (06-20-2015), Haidukken (06-21-2015), JamesNorth101 (06-21-2015), newjerseymax (07-05-2015), rsot (06-21-2015), unkown5454 (06-20-2015), vogeltron (08-19-2015)
Old 06-20-2015
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%
Default Re: UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Awesome update.. very informative.
Old 06-20-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%
Default Re: UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

We can start our very own Militia! Cool Update TGMT.
Old 06-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Very cool info, thanks for the update!
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

Awesome post, as usual. Interesting product as well and I will for sure keep an eye out for them in the future. Sounds like good money, with stable sales.
Stupid question from me: Is there a special requirement to actually resell these things? Does it require a licence or something similar, or are there no requirements because its not really actual gun, just accessories for guns?
The Following User Says Thank You to Haidukken For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
Stupid question from me: Is there a special requirement to actually resell these things? Does it require a licence or something similar, or are there no requirements because its not really actual gun, just accessories for guns?
No license required for anything I have in my thread.

Basically most gun parts and accessories are allowed on eBay except the actual frame of the gun, and magazines over 10 rounds.

Also eBay doesn't allow spent brass (empty cartridges) anymore either, nor the reloading primers and actual bullets.

There more restrictions on eBay of course, but most of them would be illegal outside of eBay as well.. IE: Kits to make you gun fully auto.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
Haidukken (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

FFL? Impressive.

Ever traded on CL, TGMT? I have seen some incredibly hilarious posts about g.uns on CL...since they aren't allowed at all. People get creative with their descriptions and it's good for a laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (06-21-2015)