Interpretation of Godfather, Part II - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 12-04-2008
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%

The Godfather is a pretty boring movie. In the middle of the whole thing you get lost and don't know what's going on!

I guess I'll just have to watch it with more concentration next time.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-05-2008

Longevity: 90%

I think the whole point of this scene is to prove that how much different Vito is compared to Fanucci. Also to show that Vito was capable of gaining anyone's respect. IMO
Old 12-05-2008

Longevity: 94%
Default Boring??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by John14789 View Post
The Godfather is a pretty boring movie. In the middle of the whole thing you get lost and don't know what's going on!

I guess I'll just have to watch it with more concentration next time.
Godfather II is possibly the greatest movie ever made, are you kidding, boring. Deniro as young Vito is outstanding.
Old 12-05-2008

I believe both Godfather I and II are in the top ten movies of all time. Both of those movies are timeless and constantly shown on cable.

In NYU Film Both of those movies are required to watch for a few classes.
Old 12-07-2008

I have never seen any of the three godfathers. I have watched the sopranos a couple times though.
Old 12-07-2008

Longevity: 91%

I'm really surprised that Angry Alien hasn't done any of the Godfather movies for their 30-Second Bunnies Theatre.
Old 12-07-2008

Longevity: 94%
Default Gf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
I concur.

It is sad, however, how poorly Godfather III turned out compared to the other two. For example, the exact same music score that so perfectly complimented the action and script in I and II, just seemed out of time and place in III.

Plus where was the cold calculated calmless of Michael Corleone? I think the post-Scarface Pacino just never settled into any role other than one always teetering on the edge of explosive violence.
It was sad, It is almost an unwatchable movie, Coppola's daughter is probably the worst actress ever, and it was a crime to make this movie without thre real Tom Hagan (duvall), it just sucked, Andy garcia wasnt the actor to take over the business anyway, it was just a mess.
Old 12-08-2008
MU

1st Godfather is the best mob movie. i watched that movie multiple times..

And Modee as to your question, he killed the dude because the dude was a bully also he was taking from him and his crew pockets and bullying the whole neighborhood. He didnt like the way he was treating the neigborhood
Old 12-11-2008
MU

Modee whenever acted like he had balls to the guy. He was just being himself thats all. And he didn't want to cause any attention to him, he wanted to murder him silently..Even his fiends never knew what he did.

He never made the guy like him, Fanucci just knew he could use him. Mobsters know smart people and try to con them for there own use, but Vito Corleone was not going for it. He didn't like him because he was mean and treated people wrong.

Vito Corleone played along the whole time. Of course he isnt going to make the dude not like him because the dude had power and could off him

Vito Corleone was smart for offing the dude. He was digging in their pockets taking half their pay for the hustles they did.

After you watch the movie a few times it will come to you. right now i still have a mob mentality, I guess thats where my street sense comes from. I can also pick out high power people in a crowd or even mobsters sometimes..Yes they are still around

Fanucci is a freelance Black Hand extortionist in New York City's Little Italy.

Last edited by imthatguy; 12-11-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2008
MU

Copied this from wiki.. You should get it now..LOL

In the novel, Fanucci is a freelance Black Hand extortionist in New York City's Little Italy. Fanucci demands "protection" money from neighborhood businesses, and does not confine his demands to non-Sicilians, which is considered a sign of disrespect in the Mafia. Vito Corleone witnesses Fanucci threaten to disfigure a young girl when her father refuses to pay him. He also indirectly loses his own job when Fanucci demands that his friend Genco Abbandando's father provide employment for Fanucci's nephew, Sandiago.

Vito watches Fanucci wander the streets without obvious protection, but takes no immediate action. One day while Vito is out driving, Fanucci accosts him by jumping onto the moving vehicle. Fanucci explains to Vito that he'd gotten word that Vito, Peter Clemenza and Sal Tessio had participated in several robberies, but had treated him "shabbily" by not allowing him to "wet my beak," or take a cut of their profits. He threatens to go to the police unless Vito gives him a cut of their profits. Just then, realizing that if Fanucci was really a mafia chief like he implies than he wouldn't need to use the police to threaten, Vito sees a chance to take the Don's place.

When Vito later meets with Fanucci, he offers only a fraction of the amount demanded — $100 of the $600 Fanucci expected. Fanucci is impressed with Vito's courage, and offers him work. Vito interprets his ability to low-ball Fanucci as a sign of the latter's weakness, thus confirming his suspicion of Fanucci's vulnerability.

After the meeting, Vito stalks Fanucci via the rooftops to his apartment down the street. Letting himself in through a rooftop doorway, he descends to Fanucci's apartment and prepares to execute him. He wraps the gun in a towel to muffle its report. When Fanucci arrives, Corleone shoots him once in the chest and two times in the face, while a solemn processional march plays in a nearby parade. After the hit, Vito retrieves the money Fanucci had taken earlier in the day and then destroys the gun, dismantling it and dropping it down vent pipes of the apartment building. Vito, Clemenza and Tessio then take over the neighborhood, treating it with a great deal more respect than Fanucci did, and so earning his neighbors' loyalty.

Unbeknownst to Vito, his young son Sonny saw his father on the rooftop. However, this is not mentioned in the movie; it is mentioned in the book when Sonny is arrested for armed robbery when he is 16.

Last edited by imthatguy; 12-11-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2008
MU

yep, the whole series is good. A lot of people miss the point of the movie. Its all about respect and loyalty. A lot of people do not have that now. A lot of people betray people who made them who they are, cut throat them, try to out hustle them etc..

I love the movie. the Corleone was a good family of loyalty respect, they didnt blackmail nobody or had their hands in drugs, nor did they harm anybody who didnt deserve it..

I wish people now days had the same kind of standards as they did
Old 12-11-2008
MU

Quote:
Well no, actually if you read the book - the way Vito Corleone got his start was by strong arming people into buying his Genco Olive Oil at exorbitant prices. Blackmail? lol - what did they do to Senator Pat Geary in II?
Modee I dont think you read my post correctly..

I said they never blackmail or did harm to people who didnt deserve it..

The senator was dirty and he was working for the other Mob family...The senator deserve that.
Old 12-12-2008
Banned

"Donnie Broscoe" what a good movie that was!

Johnny Depp and Al Pacino were amazing.
Old 12-12-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Well yes, but why did he go to pains to show the guy he had balls, and make the guy like him, before he offed him?

Vito Corleone could see outside of the big picture: look at his origins in the old country where he forced to flee with his whole family killed. Vito most quickly appraised a situation. He realized the weakness & faults of Fanucci. Fanucci was nothing to him but a hindrance so was 'offed' without so much as a twinge of conscience.

I agree that the first two movies deserve their ratings as they are films par
excellence. For Godfather 3, maybe two scenes, if that. As for Duvall being
missing that ruined the movie for me. While I have enjoyed Andy Garcia in other movies (Black Rain), he did nothing in this.